New or rebuilt alternator?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
The alternator has decided to pack up on my W140 S600 and the car is currently parked outside my Indie, who said the part will be 450 gbp on it's own.

I called ECP earlier today who can do a rebuilt lucas alternator for 328 gbp. I haven't called the main dealer of gsf yet. I did check euromerc and starpartz, but no luck.

just having a look at google, it seems there quite a few companies out there who rebuild these for around the 150 mark.

So I'm curious what others opinions are about which route go?

Is there anywhere else I should check for prices?

The alternator has decided to pack up on my W140 S600 and the car is currently parked outside my Indie, who said the part will be 450 gbp on it's own.

I called ECP earlier today who can do a rebuilt lucas alternator for 328 gbp. I haven't called the main dealer of gsf yet. I did check euromerc and starpartz, but no luck.

just having a look at google, it seems there quite a few companies out there who rebuild these for around the 150 mark.

So I'm curious what others opinions are about which route go?

Is there anywhere else I should check for prices?

There are some cheap and nasty ones on ebay, or I would give "mercman" a call. They are very helpfull with that sort of thing, their number is:01736 757 777

What part number do you have?

Last edited:
What's actually gone on your alternator?

I think for many of them, you can buy the regulators etc seperately, or if it needs new bearings these should still be far cheaper than £450/£328 etc.

Worth looking into :)

Assuming an original Bosch part , a regulator pack complete with brushes should be around a tenner ; if you are handy and can solder the brushes alone are about £1.50 - that is what I spent to repair the alternator on my 190E 2.6 about three years ago . The job is a very simple DIY repair since the regulator pack can be removed in most cases without removing the alternator from the car .

If the alternator starts working when you hit it with a hammer , it will be worn out brushes which are pretty much a consumable item .

Assuming an original Bosch part , a regulator pack complete with brushes should be around a tenner

A0021549206 £66...

Still cheaper than a reman one.

Might be a good plan to whip it off and let a local starter and alternator place have a look at it, often far cheaper than a new one, and a better bet than a used one.

Either the W140 alternator is very different to the W201 one , which I doubt , or there has been a huge price hike in the last three years .

The reg pack for mine was £9 odds , and the brush set something like £1.42 for genuine Bosch parts from my local Bosch auto electrical place .

Regardless , as Nick says , it is still a lot less than a new or remanufactured unit , and a bit less than getting someone to repair your existing unit .

The new price may also be an exchange price with a surcharge applicable if you don't return the old one .

Secondhand would be my last option unless very cheap since you don't know how much life left in it .

Thanks for the comments. The car is still at the indie, which is where it was towed by the AA on Friday night. The indie thought it may just be the regulator, but after checking seems to think it's more than that.

I haven't had a chance to talk to them for long, so will try and sort this out tomorrow.

I was figuring that a new bearing, regulator and brushes wouldn't be much, but on the M120 the alternator is swine to get to without a lift as there really is no way of getting to it from the engine bay. I'll let the mechanic take it off, and see what can be done regarding a rebuild.

I may even consider sourcing a used one to rebuild and so it would be a straight swap and won't take up lift time while the existing one is rebuilt.

Apparently the alternators on these are very high capacity, 150a, hence the cost perhaps being quite high.

Thansk again for taking to the time to comment. Some food for thought for sure.

Hi

Personally I would be careful getting it rebuilt, I had this done recently by a well known alternator/ starter motor shop found on google and it lasted for 6 weeks before failing again. In the end I brought a new one through CAFCO in swindon, paid £250 but have piece of mind. MBS fitted it for me for a very reasonable sum. They also mentioned that another customer had an alternator repaired by the same people and that lasted 2 weeks.

Cheers

Alternator Rebuilding

The Upper Range in Amperage Capacity of Bosch Alternators are Very,Very
similar. (!20Amp to 150Amp)

The first link is a Complete Rebuild of a Bosch 120 Amp with Pictures.

Oichan's Corrado Alternator Rebuild.

The second Link is Bearings and Regulator R+R on a 143/150 Amp like yours.

Alternator Bearing Replacement in a W140 Mercedes

(From: V12 Uber Alles)
V12 Uber Alles, Articles and Info Page

Getting the Alternator OUT of a W140 Chassis [Left Hand Drive] is
a task in itself!

I bought a second hand 143Amp Bosch and replaced the Bearings,Regulator
and Slip Rings.'Good as New. and an upgrade from the O.E. 90 amp.

Almost all of the "Reman" Alternators (98%) on offer in the US are
"Spray and Pray" they're cleaned up and repainted...

Thought I'd close off the thread. I ended up getting a Bosch service exchange from my local auto electrical place for 234 gbp inc vat and my indie charged 85 gbp to take the old one off and fit the new one. Not too bad in the end, but the car did develop a misfire immediately afterwards which was traced to a dead coil pack. Maybe coincidence. Either way, it could have been much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom