R230 SL350 - 100k miles service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before you buy your charger check that it will turn back on after a power cut - a lot of them DO NOT. I have a lot of power cuts where we live and now have the CTek which always turns back on. My previous cheapy from Lidl did not (however it was a good maintenance charger)
kc

wait what!!!!!!!!! 316k miles ??????????? did you add 3 in front or 6 at the end by mistake!!! what E class is it!?

I had three consecutive E220 CDi's when I was running my Chauffeur business, all did well over 300k miles with no issues at 95k miles a year.

I kept the last one when I retired, a 2011 car, and it is still running well on 316k miles give or take a couple of hundred :cool:

Before you buy your charger check that it will turn back on after a power cut - a lot of them DO NOT. I have a lot of power cuts where we live and now have the CTek which always turns back on. My previous cheapy from Lidl did not (however it was a good maintenance charger)
kc

The Halfords charger does, we have had quite a few power cuts, interruptions in the 4 years I have had mine.

The Maypole 7423 charger is a good cheap trickle charger , plenty on eBay and Amazon . I’ve had one for years as have everyone I recommended them to , £25 :)

I had three consecutive E220 CDi's when I was running my Chauffeur business, all did well over 300k miles with no issues at 95k miles a year.

I kept the last one when I retired, a 2011 car, and it is still running well on 316k miles give or take a couple of hundred :cool:
What’s the secret servicing advice for that mileage :)

316k isn’t ridiculously high. I drove a W124 300D with 620k and been in taxis on holiday with similar.

First thing I do is remove the aux belt and spin the pulleys by hand to see if any bearings are on the way out. Then get it up on a ramp and plug into diagnostics at an Indy. Take it from there.

What’s the secret servicing advice for that mileage :)

As said there are many with higher mileages than mine still running ok. I knew of a couple that had done 500k plus.

For me the big thing was having it serviced properly as per the Mercedes schedule. All mine were serviced at the same Mercedes dealership so I got to know them quite well at 5/6 services a year for 15 years. Since retiring I have used a very good Indy.

Also driving with a bit of mechanical sympathy and having passengers meant no racing away from lights or thrashing the engine and brakes etc. Most of that mileage was motorway driving with very little stress on the car.

I am a great believer of treating them well and they will look after you.

None of mine have given me any major issues whatsoever, just routine maintenance and replacement of consumables as and when basically.

As said there are many with higher mileages than mine still running ok. I knew of a couple that had done 500k plus.

For me the big thing was having it serviced properly as per the Mercedes schedule. All mine were serviced at the same Mercedes dealership so I got to know them quite well at 5/6 services a year for 15 years. Since retiring I have used a very good Indy.

Also driving with a bit of mechanical sympathy and having passengers meant no racing away from lights or thrashing the engine and brakes etc. Most of that mileage was motorway driving with very little stress on the car.

I am a great believer of treating them well and they will look after you.

None of mine have given me any major issues whatsoever, just routine maintenance and replacement of consumables as and when basically.
Very interesting thanks , it’s good to hear the old phrase of being mechanically sympathetic , I think that’s been lost in translation a bit these days with the throwaway society .
I can feel an oil change coming on again

Are these inter-stella mileages on petrol or diesel engines?

So perhaps not directly relevant to the OPs petrol engine?

So perhaps not directly relevant to the OPs petrol engine?
It’s just that nobody is going to buy a big petrol to rack up miles with our fuel prices. An unstressed nasp V6 or V8 is a good recipe for longevity. Monster miles on V8 Crown Vic taxis in America are routine. Matt Farah has a million mile Lexus LS400 on the original engine.

Appreciate all the comments guys .... so finally got a quote from the german car workshop here in Sheffield....

full servicing ... including changing
oil
oil filter
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs << the guy said it would take 12 ...wasn't sure how many are there ..its V6 350 ..so was of idea there are 6
pollen filter
--------------------------------- all the above will be for £400
brake fluid change -------------- £ 72
transmission oil change -------- £218
and he said...the brakes are tested as part of major service anyways so would test them on SBC Pump ..

Just to test how they are...have booked wifey's 5 series with them ... lets see how well they do the major service on that : ) ... the prices seem reasonable from what I gather!

Appreciate all the comments guys .... so finally got a quote from the german car workshop here in Sheffield....

full servicing ... including changing
oil
oil filter
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs << the guy said it would take 12 ...wasn't sure how many are there ..its V6 350 ..so was of idea there are 6
pollen filter
--------------------------------- all the above will be for £400
brake fluid change -------------- £ 72
transmission oil change -------- £218
and he said...the brakes are tested as part of major service anyways so would test them on SBC Pump ..

Just to test how they are...have booked wifey's 5 series with them ... lets see how well they do the major service on that : ) ... the prices seem reasonable from what I gather!
Looks good . Most of that £400 will be spark plugs I should think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom