Replacing a Jeep, is an ML a fair choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a fitting for a tow bar on the SRT8, which circumvents the central exhausts on the WH/WK models. The holes are already in place in the rear subframe for it. There are a few threads about it over on the SRT8 forum though not many UK specific ones.

I found THIS ONE from a few years ago, though my search skills let me down this morning.

You may however struggle to get an SRT8 within your £10k budget as they still seem to be bringing good money, probably due to the rarity value. However, if comfort is important to you, I'd suggest the 5.7 Hemi as opposed to the SRT8 as the suspension is softer and the tyres have something which resembles a sidewall.

Although the central exhaust is a technical issue for SRT8 tow bars, the bigger concern is that it is not type approved for towing, does not have a listed GVW or towing capacity. That means it is illegal to use one for towing (in UK/Europe) even if you do fit a hitch to it.

Comfort is always a nice option. Aware SRT8 would cost more than 10K but that's just the intended budget, which we might exceed for the right vehicle. Plain Hemi Jeep would make more sense overall, I'd think, with no towbar issues to worry about and also not blinged-up like the SRT, fwiw.

I see in your orignal post, you state you usually carry two 20L jerry cans of fuel.
Do you know that this is illegal? My understanding is the maximum fuel you can carry is 5 litres.

I see in your orignal post, you state you usually carry two 20L jerry cans of fuel.
Do you know that this is illegal? My understanding is the maximum fuel you can carry is 5 litres.

I think that a 20L jerry can is fine in mainland UK, so long as an 'approved' type, generally steel. Petrol stations often won't allow you to fill two in one visit, I have found that, so fill them on separate stops (or just take out one at a time). I think the 5L size is just familiarity with the old '1 gallon' type fuel cans that people have for emergencies.

Carrying two full (20L) jerry cans of fuel does seem to be a problem, legal-wise. To avoid that, I may put one of the cans in the rally car, on the trailer. So only one jerry can in the tow car. Also have a water container to go in the tow car, which is heavy if full.

I have yet to find out how it is possible to do a single-venue rally with just 20 litres of spare fuel. My rally car uses around a litre per mile in competition use - others get through appreciably more than that. Not all venues, or time schedules, allow you to leave the site to refuel. SV events may be of 50-70 miles overall.

Last edited:
I think that a 20L jerry can is fine in mainland UK, so long as an 'approved' type, generally steel. Petrol stations won't allow you to fill two in one visit, I do know that. I think the 5L size is just familiarity with the old '1 gallon' type fuel cans that people have for emergencies.

This site has some helpful explanations of what is and is not legal, indicating that it is not entirely clear.
https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/blog/are-jerry-cans-legal-what-is-the-law-on-fuel-cans

HSE site linked from that article http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/owner-petrol-station.htm#containers-filled

The jerry can site does refer to inaccurate reporting by the Beeb, shock horror, stating that you cannot fill 20L containers, which I also thought (hoped) was incorrect What is a jerry can? A guide on how to legally store petrol - BBC Newsbeat

Last edited:
I get that diesel lumps can produce great torque figures, but I like some revs and also an enjoyable noise to my drives.

You want something that tows comfortabley but you also want it to be revvy? You're obviously mechanically minded so don't you think that come across as a bit of an oxymoron?

It's not a loaded question by the way, just saying how it comes across.

I have owned 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee's, a WJ 2.7 litre diesel Limited and a WK 3.0 litre diesel Overland. I have also owned a Mercedes ML320 W164 and i now drive a ML350 W166. Both of the ML's were/are vastly superior to the GC's. Before i bought the W166 i test drove a 2014 GC Overland which was in the next door garage so i was able to make a direct comparison, the 2012 ML was better in every way IMO.

You want something that tows comfortabley but you also want it to be revvy? You're obviously mechanically minded so don't you think that come across as a bit of an oxymoron?

Something Supercharged maybe?

We like the WK for what it is....but it would be fair to say it isn't all that sophisitcated. A Ranger Rover it isn't :). The Hemi revs quite nicely but the stock exhaust really hides that V8 sound so a Borla or similar aftermarket CAT back system might be in order. I intend fitting one on ours when the OEM one finally rots out. Damn thing is still going strong despite looking like it spent the past 10 years at the bottom of the sea.

I guess as you like your Jeeps then a WK probably is a good place to start, then maybe try alternatives if it doesn't appeal. The new GC looks nice but they are a tad pricey.

We like the WK for what it is....but it would be fair to say it isn't all that sophisitcated. A Ranger Rover it isn't :). The Hemi revs quite nicely but the stock exhaust really hides that V8 sound so a Borla or similar aftermarket CAT back system might be in order. I intend fitting one on ours when the OEM one finally rots out. Damn thing is still going strong despite looking like it spent the past 10 years at the bottom of the sea.

I guess as you like your Jeeps then a WK probably is a good place to start, then maybe try alternatives if it doesn't appeal. The new GC looks nice but they are a tad pricey.

The new GC does look nice but it is built to a price like all vehicles. You get lots of equipment as standard compared to say an ML but the quality of materials doesnt compare to the ML or the drivability.

Like to think I am mechanically minded, yes.

Towing does depend on torque mostly, of course.

When I say revvy, I'm not thinking four-pot thrashy motors but an engine that allows me to hang onto gears a bit longer when having a bit of run, not running into a dead stop at 5000rpm or worse (which is how I view diesel engine behaviour).

I do want the best of both worlds. Hence large capacity engine for torque, but petrol for the driving characteristics I prefer and am used to.

Yup, don't think a Jeep as 'sophisticated' though the WJ gets plenty of comments about being comfy compared to many other 4x4s. Mind you, it also has a lot more body roll than many others. Can be used to advantage when wanting to slide the back on occasional wet roundabouts though. Ooops ;-)

Did put a 3" system and freeflow cat on one of our older V8s and that always put a smile on my face. Think it happened to benefit fuel consumption too, which was an unexpected bonus. Did also fit Eibach springs and Bilsteins, which helped body control a bit. Latest one has a replacement exhaust as rust eventually made its presence known; got a custom one made for it locally, but not three inch this time. Kind-of regret going for smaller silencer on this one, though it is fitted to standard cat.

New GC definitely a lot of money, to my mind. Not in my budget. If I was spending that much, I am sure I'd rather get something else for the money. Such as an older one with budget to mess with it.

I have owned 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee's, a WJ 2.7 litre diesel Limited and a WK 3.0 litre diesel Overland. I have also owned a Mercedes ML320 W164 and i now drive a ML350 W166. Both of the ML's were/are vastly superior to the GC's. Before i bought the W166 i test drove a 2014 GC Overland which was in the next door garage so i was able to make a direct comparison, the 2012 ML was better in every way IMO.

Thanks - first comment, I think, from an ML owner!
Was it the WJ or WK that used a Mercedes diesel engine?
Matters not as in that car I am sure the Yank V8 would be better.

2012 ML way better than a 2015 GC, not exactly a surprise. Confirming that 'Merkin SUVs are still some way behind premium brand European vehicles.

I do want the best of both worlds. Hence large capacity engine for torque, but petrol for the driving characteristics I prefer and am used to.

I've owned two W164 ML's; a 350 CDi and the V8 twin-turbo 420 CDI and think the 420 CDi is the best choice for the ML when everything is taken into account not to mention it has 50% more torque than the V8 petrol.

I've owned many powerful cars over the years and don't subscribe to the diesel v petrol debates, I generally buy the engine that suits that particular vehicle and in this case, and if I was in your shoes, it'd be the ML420 CDI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, you wouldn't be disappointed with the engine in an ML420.

I've had three W163 ML's All used for towing, 270 underpowered, 350 great, ML55 with gas conversion, AWESOME:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom