Rotalla Tyres - Anybody Had THEM?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Road surface variations will pretty much nullify the published noise ratings, also the ability of a tyre to absorb small road imperfections is all part of the overall noise, vibration and harshness characteristics.

I have just bought a set of Goodyear Assymetric 5 (245/40/18 and 265/35/18) for £477 fitted from Tyre Shopper as I have been very pleased with the F1 A3's currently fitted to the E320CDi, these are now down to 2.9mm on the rear and 3.1 on the front after just over 25,000 miles.

Falken was founded in 1983; the company making Rotalla tyres was founded in 1986. I'm inclined to think both companies will have learned a thing or two about making tyres since then. So many budget tyres are produced in China for economic reasons, not because they're all poor quality. I have an open mind about Chinese tyres; I remember when Hankook and Toyo, to name but two brands, were regarded as cheap rubbish, but they're decent enough names now.

That video OnefortheRoad posted is interesting; even the video maker was surprised that objectively, there was only about a 5% difference between the two makes of tyre. Subjectively? I'm not a wannabee Jeremy Clarkson, and I don't drive like that in the dry, let alone in the wet...

I agree regarding all-things-Korean 'climbing' from being pure rubbish to becoming worthy contenders in their own right over the past 20 years, and not just cars and tyres.

Samsung and LG are two obvious ones, with brands like Kia and Hankook demonstrating how Korean firms can compete in the automotive market on equal footing with other Western marques.

But just to say that Toyo is a well-known Japanese brand, and they have been making high-quality tyres for track and race and appreciated by enthusiasts for several decades (though perhaps not as good as Yokohama).

My 7 series has the original tyres still fitted, Hankook runflats, I wish that I could wear them down as they are hateful things.

However, they can't be that bad if they are fitted to new premium cars.

I've used Khumo, Falken and Accellera over the years on an S class, 5 series and assorted other high(ish) end motors and found them all perfectly adequate. In my view the premium tyres might be better at some categories but I'm happy enough with an all overall suitable tyre.

Don't get runflats, I might have mentioned once or twice that they are shit.

My 7 series has the original tyres still fitted, Hankook runflats, I wish that I could wear them down as they are hateful things.

I've used Khumo, Falken and Accellera over the years on an S class, 5 series and assorted other high(ish) end motors and found them all perfectly adequate. In my view the premium tyres might be better at some categories but I'm happy enough with an all overall suitable tyre.

The idea behind run flats is two-fold: the benefit to the motorist is that in case of a puncture you do not need to stop on the hard shoulder in a potentially unsafe location while either replacing the wheel or waiting for the roadside assistance to arrive, the benefit to the manufacturer is that it cuts on boot space and weight as there's no need for any form of spare wheel thus improving emissions figures.

I get why runflats are pushed (no spare tyre = weight save) but I agree 100% - they’re dreadful and weigh an absolute ton as well!

Personally, I carry a full-size spare in the boot, which will give me the opportunity to complete my journey driving as I normally would instead of limping to the nearest tyre-fitter, and I also carry TIREFIT kit for in case I get into a tight spot or unsafe location and need to get the car moving quickly.

I can't get a full-size spare in the boot of the SLK, and carrying it in the passenger seat might cause comment...

There's no room under the load area floor for a full-size spare, so as with the SLK, a space-saver spare wheel is the solution.

I last had a puncture - well, more of a semi-disintegration, actually - at least fifteen years ago, but I just don't like the idea of a Tirefit kit. Chances are I'd be fine, but that's how I feel about it.

falkens have known issues with splits in the side walls.

IME mid range tyres in the larger sizes are on a par with premium tyres on price so buying premium is the way I would go.

I don't agree OP's logic, that the longer a company persists, the higher quality the products become.

I didn't actually say that, but with Korean products at least, few would argue that it's not true. Why do you assume that it could it not be the case with Chinese products as well?

Would one purchase a Ford and argue that it is just as good as a Mercedes Benz because one has no intention of being Stirling Moss?

Let's not kid ourselves; these days, MB makes cars mostly built down to a price, not up to a standard. I'm not a badge snob; objectively, many might feel that some Fords are better than the equivalent Mercedes...

Personally, I always use top-tier brands, but thats due to a combination of having the most common tyre size on the market, and low annual mileage.

My car (and previous cars) has the very common 205/55R16 tyre, which means that buyers are spoilt for choice.

I bought in the past various Continental and Dunlop tyres, the cost per corner ranged from £55 to £95 fitted. And, given my annual mileage, I change tyres every 3 years or so (and usually well before they ate actually badly worn....), so the overall saving of opting for a budget tyre is insignificant.

That said, people with 'exotic' tyre sizes, or that cover high annual mileage, will have different considerations, because the difference in cost between premium tyres and budget tyres can be quite substantial.

PS - my current Dunlop Sport BluResponse were £70 per corner fitted, and keep in mind that fitting in Central London is generally aroubd £15-£20 per tyre.

With regards safety... even assuming that some tyres are safer than others, this should really be a moot point. Tyres should meet minimum safety standards. I don't dispute that some tyres are safer than others, but where do you stop? Based on that logic, you should only buy an S-Class with all the active safety options, because anything less will be compromising on your and your family's safety... and yes, rich people can afford safer cars (and better health care, and education, but I digress...). Also, if budget tyres are unsafe, would you refuse a ride with your family to the airport in an Uber shod with cheap tyres?

So yes, safer is better, but it can't be the only guideline because we'll all end-up paralysed due to inability to always purchase the safest option.

I think that it is easy to talk down the value of millions in r&d when one isn't well versed in the pros and cons.

Perhaps it is pertinent to consider the persistence in quality of a well constructed tyre from a reputable and established business. I know on which tyre I'd more happily perform an emergency stop after 20,000 miles between a Michelin and a Linglong.

There is an element of 'please confirm my confirmation bias' in this thread.

falkens have known issues with splits in the side walls.

Many tyre manufacturers have this issue, it is mainly caused by a tyre inner edge hitting the speed restriction humps that are so prevalent and so poorly designed and maintained.

What price safety/ no claims bonus/ getting out of your drive on a frosty morning/ manufacturer handling development / rolling resistance etc etc etc ------ABS/ESR/DISTRONIC- ultimately its down to tyres. They are the unique link between car and road - there is no substitute. Tyre performance is best described as a boundary measurement different tyres may not differ by much in 90% of use-- its the value you place on the remaining the 10% that counts
This is a neat video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What price safety/ no claims bonus/ getting out of your drive on a frosty morning/ manufacturer handling development / rolling resistance etc etc etc ------ABS/ESR/DISTRONIC- ultimately its down to tyres. They are the unique link between car and road - there is no substitute. Tyre performance is best described as a boundary measurement different tyres may not differ by much in 90% of use-- its the value you place on the remaining the 10% that counts
This is a neat video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I agree, I’d say in 99.999% or my time driving I could use any tyre and they’d all perform equally well, it’s the 0.001% of the time that I buy tyres for.

In my opinion - and there’s very little science behind this - but all the midrange tyres like Kumho and Falken are missing is the marketing of the big boys because, when I’ve had cause to fit them as opposed to MO, they’ve performed well enough for me to not notice (if that makes sense)

Would I put midrange on an AMG or anything >300bhp? Probably not but it wouldn’t worry me too much if the previous owner had.

Unless you are able to fit tyres, test them and then repeat for say, 20-odd makes/models, we have to research our tyre purchases and read the reviews.

In my case the reviews were clear: The Nexans and Continentals has almost exactly the same recorded performance, so the cheaper ones got my cash.

It would make no sense to do anything else. My gut-feel is that the established (largely European) tyre makers have rested on their laurels, whilst the Far-East makers pour way more money into R and D. They will overtake them very soon, if they haven't already.

Many tyre manufacturers have this issue, it is mainly caused by a tyre inner edge hitting the speed restriction humps that are so prevalent and so poorly designed and maintained.
I think that's become an urban myth spread by the many tyre fitters who know very little about tyres. It's become their go to excuse. I've yet to see any evidence proving it, and I need to cross about 10 of them every time I leave and return to my house without suffering tyre issues for the last 13 years I've been doing this. It just doesn't ring true despite what everyone thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom