Rotalla Tyres - Anybody Had THEM?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that's become an urban myth spread by the many tyre fitters who know very little about tyres. It's become their go to excuse. I've yet to see any evidence proving it, and I need to cross about 10 of them every time I leave and return to my house without suffering tyre issues for the last 13 years I've been doing this. It just doesn't ring true despite what everyone thinks.
It depends on the track, obviously larger vehicles will have a wider track and be less affected?

In my opinion - and there’s very little science behind this - but all the midrange tyres like Kumho and Falken are missing is the marketing of the big boys because, when I’ve had cause to fit them as opposed to MO, they’ve performed well enough for me to not notice (if that makes sense)

Would I put midrange on an AMG or anything >300bhp? Probably not but it wouldn’t worry me too much if the previous owner had.

Agreed Lee, it was the Accelra tyres someone had fitted to the E 320 that were for the most part, OK but once the road was damp (not wet) then the Traction control would illuminate very regularly even with gentle acceleration from rest and gave a sensation of squirming on cornering even at modest speed that I have never felt on the same roads and same conditions once I had the Goodyear tyres fitted.

I have used Falken and ,Hankook before on a 3 litre Saab turbo and an Audi A6 V6 with very good results.

Just heard from the tyre fitters; no stock of Asy 3s, but they'll do Asy 5s for the same price. Maybe I should have gone for the Rotallas...

but I'm done messing about, so the Asy 5s it is.

Just heard from the tyre fitters; no stock of Asy 3s, but they'll do Asy 5s for the same price. Maybe I should have gone for the Rotallas...

AS5's are cheaper than AS3's everywhere and by quite a bit so I wouldn't be paying the same price and if you buy 2 tyres Goodyear have a promotion rewarding you with a £50 Amazon voucher with participating tyre fitters.

I have just had 4 Assymetric 5 tyres fitted to the MB (245/30/18 and 265/35/18) for a total of £477.

Although the previous Assymetric 3 tyres still gripped well in the dry I had noticed a fall off in wet weather grip with treads at 3.0 mm and quite a decrease in bump absorption as well as a droning / whining noise heard at times under deceleration, both of thee characteristics have now gone with the new tyres fitted.

F1 Autocentres say they normally charge slightly more for the Asy 5s, but have offered them for the same as the Asy3s - £427.84 (245/40/18, 97Y). I could save £40 by using the current Goodyear promotion, but it hardly seems worth it to mess about for so small a saving, does it?

Last edited:
F1 Autocentres say they normally charge slightly more for the Asy 5s, but have offered them for the same as the Asy3s - £427.84 (245/40/18, 97Y). I could save £40 by using the current Goodyear promotion, but it hardly seems worth it to mess about for so small a saving, does it?
Do you have a Just Tyres near you? If so the tyres are £427.96, then if you buy via Topcashback there is a 6% cashback and the GY promotion will give you an £80 gift card.

That's for the 93 load rating; I need 97s, which Just Tyres will sell for £468, hence the £40 saving. I don't subscribe to Topcashback, or any of the other similar websites; they don't cover most of the stuff I buy, so there's no real point.

That's for the 93 load rating; I need 97s, which Just Tyres will sell for £468, hence the £40 saving. I don't subscribe to Topcashback, or any of the other similar websites; they don't cover most of the stuff I buy, so there's no real point.
OK, no problem. I was just looking to see if you could make a saving and didn't spot the requirement for 97 load rating. :)

I appreciate the help; thank you.

I still wonder if I should have gone for the Rotallas...

I appreciate the help; thank you.

I still wonder if I should have gone for the Rotallas...
If you had then you would probably be thinking "I wonder if I should have chosen the Goodyears?" :)

But I'll never know for sure, and that's what niggles me. Oh well...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was that video review, with the comment attached to it, that largely informed my view that Rotallas are OK. Tyres do vary from car to car and from size to size even with the same tyre, though, so I'll never know whether they would have been any good on the E-class. Too late now, though; Goodyears it is.

This is why I paid more for the PS4 after having had the FK501 fitted. I really wanted to see if the pilot sports deserved the reputation.

Err... get two of each.

(I'll get my coat)

One on different corners front and rear?

I'll get my coat too...

Why buy an expensive car and scrimp on the only things that make contact with the road ?

Would you buy an expensive suit and wear plimsoles with it because they are cheaper than good shoes ?

I tend to value not having an accident more than saving a few quid - especially factoring in an insurance excess or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom