s212 e500, I know these are scarce but..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m guessing it’s not a sporty drive in any sense of the word though? Want would be different between this and say an E220 CDI, beside the engine?

As well as the engine (which is fab and very smooth, seems to match the 7G box much better than the smaller diesels do - almost imperceptible gear changes), the E500 came with more standard kit: the adaptive Xenons, sports body kit (various spoilers and twin exhausts), etc, to differentiate it from the ‘taxi’ models and justify the £50k starting price. Most initial owners had pockets deep enough to add a few extras and do impeccable maintenance as well; an extra bonus.

My 2007 E500 5.5 saloon. 383bhp 0-62 in 5.3 seconds
One workaholic owner.
Underground garage in central London.
12 annual MB main dealer services from same dealer (including all invoices)
3k miles a year.
Colombite metallic black (has a gold sparkle), with Sienna grey nappa leather.
Panoramic full length glass roof. Wood & leather steering wheel. Birds eye maple.
Four zone air conditioning. Harman Kardon.
Split fold rear seats (to accommodate my two bikes)
Perfect, tight as a drum, as new.

full

full
full

Last edited:
You do find them, don't you? And pay through the nose, of course, but really good ones command high prices. Nice car, nice interior, nice mileage, nice history. The only thing I don't like is the khaki wood, but that may be just that the colour is way off in that one picture, because the leather in it looks beige, not grey.

As well as the engine (which is fab and very smooth, seems to match the 7G box much better than the smaller diesels do - almost imperceptible gear changes), the E500 came with more standard kit: the adaptive Xenons, sports body kit (various spoilers and twin exhausts), etc, to differentiate it from the ‘taxi’ models and justify the £50k starting price. Most initial owners had pockets deep enough to add a few extras and do impeccable maintenance as well; an extra bonus.

They also all come with Airmatic which I think is brilliant. Almost no roll even 4 up with bikes on the roof at many leptons. And Sports brakes which haul them up really well. 0-60 in the low 5's and 100 in 11-odd seconds. Plus an engine that's only second to a V12 or a Tesla for incredible refinement.

Ar times I've driven mine like I've stolen it and the passengers haven't registered the speed. It's just so quiet and refined.

Its my 4th Merc and by far and away the best.

I bought it on 54k and today, almost three years on it's only just crept over 68k.

No rattles, no squeaks. Solid, smooth, fast and stealthy.

When I bought it ULEZ compliant diesels and 212 63's were out of my price range.

I had to settle for the 5.5. As compromises go it's not a bad one.

My 2007 E500 5.5 saloon. 383bhp 0-62 in 5.3 seconds
One workaholic owner.
Underground garage in central London.
12 annual MB main dealer services from same dealer (including all invoices)
3k miles a year.
Colombite metallic black (has a gold sparkle), with Sienna grey nappa leather.
Panoramic full length glass roof. Wood & leather steering wheel. Birds eye maple.
Four zone air conditioning. Harman Kardon.
Split fold rear seats (to accommodate my two bikes)
Perfect, tight as a drum, as new.

full

full
full

Lovely.

Factoid 1; I once sold a house to a fellah who found the estate version of yours. Despite the fact that he's absolutely loaded and also has an M6, a carboned-up 911 GT2 track car and a Sunbeam Tiger historic rally car he loves his E500. Was out drinking with him the other day and he was raving about it, especially the air suspension.

Factoid 2; my C43 estate was once featured in Performance car and the Impreza-driving journo that was interviewing me asked me what I was planning on getting next. I said "C32, C55 or E500 5.0". He said "Noooo! Get a 5.5 211!" He'd been on a trip to Germany a couple of years previously and was raving about doing mental laptimes round the Ring in the newly-launched 211 5.5. He thought it was hilarious that something very normal looking could storm it so well.

It's just so quiet and refined.

That's just the W211; they're still a very nice place to be.

You might be surprised if you drove a previous-model Peugeot 508SW (a diesel, yet), though; a touch quieter on the motorway than an E350 petrol S211. If Peugeot had offered a decently-powerful petrol engine, I might have one still - if it hadn't broken down...

You do find them, don't you? And pay through the nose, of course, but really good ones command high prices. Nice car, nice interior, nice mileage, nice history. The only thing I don't like is the khaki wood, but that may be just that the colour is way off in that one picture, because the leather in it looks beige, not grey.

Yes, colours aren't realistic - the wood grain on the wheel is different and the leather is a light grey, not beige. They were just snaps which I took when I viewed the car.

Paid top dollar for it, as I did with its predecessors, but over the last five years, we've driven nearly 100k miles in some nice, low mileage cars and spent a grand on repairs (a seized parking brake).

But...more focussed towards comfort than a sporty drive [if you could ever class a big estate as a sporty drive]?

I'm also guessing the sound of V8 is very muted? Have any of you E500 owners changed/modified the exhaust to make it sound a bit more fruity?

The seats don't look very supportive on the E500 in question. How do you guys find them?

I like the idea of a V8 that could be classed as a more sensible purchase than say an E55 [that my OH would sign-off on], but I do what something that'll excite me about driving it. I know it's hardly going to match the driving experience of my current Subaru Forster STi, but I don't want to be bored to death :)

But...more focussed towards comfort than a sporty drive [if you could ever class a big estate as a sporty drive]?
I'm also guessing the sound of V8 is very muted? Have any of you E500 owners changed/modified the exhaust to make it sound a bit more fruity?
The seats don't look very supportive on the E500 in question. How do you guys find them?
I like the idea of a V8 that could be classed as a more sensible purchase than say an E55 [that my OH would sign-off on], but I do what something that'll excite me about driving it. I know it's hardly going to match the driving experience of my current Subaru Forster STi, but I don't want to be bored to death :)

Definitely think of it as a smaller S class Estate, rather than a big M3.

Exhaust: As with the CL's and S class, it's easy to commission something more raucous.

Seats are definitely "built for comfort, not for speed." You can drive 700 miles in one day without any back pain, let alone the back pain you'd get from doing the same journey in something sportier. (Ditto even routine trips across London's pock-marked roads).

Big difference on fuel consumption compared to the AMG's, for sure, but fuel is the least of your worries with an expensive car. The depreciation and maintenance will break your heart long before you notice the fuel bill on your Monzo card.

If you enjoy your lovely Forester STI, just keep it, or buy another. An E500 is no rational step from an STI Scooby Doo. The boys in the pub will never forgive you.

a2a3465edcdf3e7dd75922985da63e72.jpg

It does look like the other car posted by Gav last year so did it just not sell? The seller claims he is the second owner so the other two references on here about it being sold cannot be true, unless it didn't previously sell or is a different car

Exhaust: As with the CL's and S class, it's easy to commission something more raucous.

Seats are definitely "built for comfort, not for speed." You can drive 700 miles in one day without any back pain, let alone the back pain you'd get from doing the same journey in something sportier. (Ditto even routine trips across London's pock-marked roads).

Big difference on fuel consumption compared to the AMG's, for sure, but fuel is the least of your worries with an expensive car. The depreciation and maintenance will break your heart long before you notice the fuel bill on your Monzo card.

If you enjoy your lovely Forester STI, just keep it, or buy another. An E500 is no rational step from an STI Scooby Doo. The boys in the pub will never forgive you.

Not a bad summary. Deffo more S Class than M3!

I personally went from a Stage II 200SX onto C43's and then onto E500's.

I personally prefer the Mercs. But they're more grand tourers than B road scratchers.

An E500 will make a bit of noise if you boot it, otherwise its pretty silent. Suits me.

My last E500 had massage contour seats and my C43's had the orthopedic ones. Both offered better support than the rather flatter ones in my current 500 but they are still massively comfortable and as the car doesn't roll they hold me in place just fine.

Suppose the best way for the OP to decide is to try one if you can find one

As we said last year, the issue with the pricing on these estates is how can you ask that much when the more impressive 2010 S500 can be picked up for five grand less?

It does look like the other car posted by Gav last year so did it just not sell? The seller claims he is the second owner so the other two references on here about it being sold cannot be true, unless it didn't previously sell or is a different car

True, it may not have sold last year and this could just be the same owner trying to sell again. Or perhaps the sale last year (which as far as I recall was a dealer) was after the original owner had parted with the car?

I like the story that the original owner was the CEO of Fisherman’s Friends! That could explain the brown colour?? If it’s true then that would be Doreen Lofthouse, joint head of the company with her husband Tony. They’re based in Lancashire so that would accord with the original number plate as the prefix PL is for Preston.

It’s my hunch that she doesn’t change car often and so last year’s sale was the first time it had been sold on. That would explain the current owner having seen the old reg and owner details on the V5 when buying the car.

As we said last year, the issue with the pricing on these estates is how can you ask that much when the more impressive 2010 S500 can be picked up for five grand less?
Not sure an S Class would have been as handy in my house moves. Nor whr picking up fencing supplies. Or heading down to France with four bikes.

Not sure an S Class would have been as handy in my house moves. Nor whr picking up fencing supplies. Or heading down to France with four bikes.

Agreed on all that, but it's a smaller group of People Like Us who would pay the extra.

And you can put bikes on the roof, ditto fencing.... Can even put two bikes inside...

So what did I do? Buy a 3 litre petrol estate for those messier family bits and pieces - for peanuts.

Buy an E55K and rebadge it as an E500 - job done!

Agreed on all that, but it's a smaller group of People Like Us who would pay the extra.

And you can put bikes on the roof, ditto fencing.... Can even put two bikes inside...

So what did I do? Buy a 3 litre petrol estate for those messier family bits and pieces - for peanuts.

I certainly get the appeal of an S. Or a CLS, for that matter.

But I also need a small city car so would end up with three cars.

And given the two I have barely do 5k a year combined it would be something of a luxury.

As much as I enjoy driving/owning my Foz, the biggest reason I’m going to sell her is cos I now want a car that’s a little more relaxing and luxurious. The Foz just wants to be driven hard, all the time...which I don’t always want to do at 8am in the morning on the way to work! It’s such a bucket-list car though.

Here’s a pic...

1137F440-7F59-4C97-A171-52663C94B01F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom