s212 e500, I know these are scarce but..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I loved Scoobies back in the day and nearly went down the WRX route at one point.

A 5.5 Merc is a very different proposition but also a great machine.

Very relaxed when you want it to be but also slightly barking. Not as unhinged as an E63 of course.

It the S6 to the RS6.

Or the Alpina to the M5.

Buy an E55K and rebadge it as an E500 - job done!

An E55 is definitely on the maybe list, and a CLS55, a C55 and possibly a C,E,CLS63.

What attracts me to this E500 is the fact it’s an estate and the reduced running costs compared to the AMGs.

I loved Scoobies back in the day and nearly went down the WRX route at one point.

A 5.5 Merc is a very different proposition but also a great machine.

Very relaxed when you want it to be but also slightly barking. Not as unhinged as an E63 of course.

It the S6 to the RS6.

Or the Alpina to the M5.

That’s what I was trying to figure out really. An S6, for instance, is still sold as a sports variant. But it sounds like the E500 is more luxury cruiser with a big chunk of speed...which is still very appealing.

Though, as mentioned, I’d need the asking price to drop a couple of grand...£16k is to close to a lot of amazing metal.

It's well worth a look, but an S6 is a lot closer in size.
Can't help thinking it (or a C Class) a more natural step from the Scooby.

That’s what I was trying to figure out really. An S6, for instance, is still sold as a sports variant. But it sounds like the E500 is more luxury cruiser with a big chunk of speed...which is still very appealing.

Though, as mentioned, I’d need the asking price to drop a couple of grand...£16k is to close to a lot of amazing metal.

I haven't tried the S6 but

In the US there are loads of tests comparing the "E550", S6 and 550i. They're seen as "sports sedans" one notch down from the AMG's, RS's and M's.

I'd imagine an S6 would be a fairly similar steer to an E500. Although previous experience with warmed up Audis suggest the ride may be hasher in the S6.

I haven't tried the S6 but

In the US there are loads of tests comparing the "E550", S6 and 550i. They're seen as "sports sedans" one notch down from the AMG's, RS's and M's.

I'd imagine an S6 would be a fairly similar steer to an E500. Although previous experience with warmed up Audis suggest the ride may be hasher in the S6.
Someone on the forum bought a new S6 last year and also speaks highly of it as a relaxed cruiser with a hefty turn of speed. The later S6 4.2TT engine is probably more aligned with the Merc 4.7TT that sadly was never offered in the E-class estate in the UK (i.e. even faster than our 5.5). The S6 did seem to be marketed as more sporty than the E500, though Merc caught up by rebranding the E500 as the E43 AMG and then later the E53 AMG. The tiny sales of the end-of-line E500 probably shows that UK buyers fall for something with a more sporty edge, even if only in appearance. The S6 outsold the E500 greatly.

Why didn’t I buy an S6 estate instead of the E500? 3 things really: the Audi feels small inside, especially the boot which is a tiny compared to the Merc; petrol Audis were really holding their value when I was in the market and I begrudged the extra £5k for an Audi (may not be the case now as E500 values are so strong); lastly, it’s only an Audi, doesn’t feel as special (IMHO, other opinions are available). Oh, and a fourth thing: I was scared of the Audi air suspension which seems to have more horror stories than the Merc system which is well understood and well-served with spare parts.

When I bought mine three years ago my £17k budget got me a low mileage 212 E500 with nothing wanting. At the time that same budget would have got me into an older E63 on double the miles or 350 CDI which I would have to have sold about now because of ULEZ.

212 63's of the same age and condition as mine and (newer) facelift 350 CDI's were a good £4-5k more.

What attracts me to this E500 is the fact it’s an estate and the reduced running costs compared to the AMGs.

Brakes aside, I can’t really think of much that would be different running costs wise?

And you could probably argue that the value retention would be greater on an AMG long term when buying at this sort of price point, a set of discs by comparison is neither here nor there (and all cars need consumables replaced!)

You generally get a higher level of kit and more options with many equivalent AMGs and by comparison to even later 5.5 E500s, at least a 35% power increase :cool:

Without wanting to offend E500 owners, although I can see the attraction of them compared to a six cylinder diesel or petrol version I’ve always felt the reason they didn’t sell many of them was because the 211/212 E55/E63 saloons and estates were such accomplished cars that people with deep pockets bought them instead.

If a well specced/low mileage/attractively priced 500 came about of course it’s worth a look but otherwise you’ve got similar fuel consumption, insurance, servicing and repair prices but with reduced performance and lower residual value.

I guess what I’m saying is that AMGs make such good value purchases when buying used that I’m not so sure a regular 500 makes a lot of sense money wise nowadays such is the price point of a decent ‘63? :)

Brakes aside, I can’t really think of much that would be different running costs wise?

And you could probably argue that the value retention would be greater on an AMG long term when buying at this sort of price point, a set of discs by comparison is neither here nor there (and all cars need consumables replaced!)

You generally get a higher level of kit and more options with many equivalent AMGs and by comparison to even later 5.5 E500s, at least a 35% power increase :cool:

Without wanting to offend E500 owners, although I can see the attraction of them compared to a six cylinder diesel or petrol version I’ve always felt the reason they didn’t sell many of them was because the 211/212 E55/E63 saloons and estates were such accomplished cars that people with deep pockets bought them instead.

If a well specced/low mileage/attractively priced 500 came about of course it’s worth a look but otherwise you’ve got similar fuel consumption, insurance, servicing and repair prices but with reduced performance and lower residual value.

I guess what I’m saying is that AMGs make such good value purchases when buying used that I’m not so sure a regular 500 makes a lot of sense money wise nowadays such is the price point of a decent ‘63? :)

This is an interesting post, and I think the reason I'd be more attracted to an AMG for £16k. If the asking price for this E500 was a good chunk less, I think it would be very very attractive [if the above is correct and an W211/212 or C63 wouldn't cost an arm and a leg more to maintain].

It's well worth a look, but an S6 is a lot closer in size.
Can't help thinking it (or a C Class) a more natural step from the Scooby.

Yeah I agree, but I wouldn't mind a tad more space than a C can offer.

There is a certain CLS55 on here that I like the look of too :)

There were loads of 211 E500's sold.

When it came to 212's there were quite a few E500 coupe's (yes I know they're based on the C Class). There were far fewer 212 pre-facelift saloons and estates. And,of course, none post-facelift as MB didn't import them.

On the whole, MB UK stopped pushing and then importing large engined petrols other that AMG's. Whether there was a market or not in the UK, who knows? Audi shifted plenty of S6's and BMW loads of 545/550's.

But, to your point, at that price I'd also have a good look at the AMG's on offer.

Edit to say; assuming spec, age, condition + miles are the same I'd pay more for a 500 that a 350CDI and more for a 63 that a 500.

After all you're going mid 200's bhp to nearly 400 to 550+

Last edited:

I tend to agree and if I was buying again today I might learn towards an E63 given the not-so-big cost gap to buy one.

When I was in the market in 2015 it was a really big step up in cost to buy an S212 E63 and running costs were higher for sure. Not just the brakes but insurance was much higher for me when I got quotes; fuel was more (the 6.3 is surely difficult to get much above 20-22mpg); tyres may wear quicker and cost more; and maybe other ‘AMG tax’ items come servicing time too. This may still apply in part for the E63 5.5 but with the second hand values now much lower I’d be tempted...

Last edited:
Someone on the forum bought a new S6 last year...the S6 did seem to be marketed as more sporty than the E500, though Merc caught up by rebranding the E500 as the E43 AMG...then E53.

Hadn't thought of that. But that's a good point. MB have created a new sub segment for powerful petrols a rung below the 63's.

So, to the OP, think of a 5.5 500 as one of them.

True, it may not have sold last year and this could just be the same owner trying to sell again. Or perhaps the sale last year (which as far as I recall was a dealer) was after the original owner had parted with the car?

I like the story that the original owner was the CEO of Fisherman’s Friends! That could explain the brown colour?? If it’s true then that would be Doreen Lofthouse, joint head of the company with her husband Tony. They’re based in Lancashire so that would accord with the original number plate as the prefix PL is for Preston.

It’s my hunch that she doesn’t change car often and so last year’s sale was the first time it had been sold on. That would explain the current owner having seen the old reg and owner details on the V5 when buying the car.

I might give the seller a call and find out! I think he might be pretty close to me anyway.

There were loads of 211 E500's sold.

When it came to 212's there were quite a few E500 coupe's (yes I know they're based on the C Class). There were far fewer 212 pre-facelift saloons and estates. And,of course, none post-facelift as MB didn't import them.

On the whole, MB UK stopped pushing and then importing large engined petrols other that AMG's. Whether there was a market or not in the UK, who knows? Audi shifted plenty of S6's and BMW loads of 545/550's.

But, to your point, at that price I'd also have a good look at the AMG's on offer.

Edit to say; assuming spec, age, condition + miles are the same I'd pay more for a 500 that a 350CDI and more for a 63 that a 500.

After all you're going mid 200's bhp to nearly 400 to 550+

With regards the 211 E500, I’ve seen very few on the roads and for sale, certainly less than I have of E55s. A quick glance over at ‘howmanyleft’ seems to support that in terms of vehicles registered over the years etc.

And when it comes to the numbers sold, you can’t really blame MB for that - it was supply and demand. They didn’t limit production but a large amount of customers were buying diesels back then of course. If you wanted something performance orientated you went for an AMG. Which left the 500s in an unusual spot with the running costs of a V8 Mercedes, but without the luxury of something like an S-class, nor the performance of an AMG or the economy of some of the very decent CDIs that were so popular back then. As they sold so few 211 and early 212 500s perhaps they responded to demand and dropped the 500 for the later cars as you mention.

But as a used buy nowadays, you get so much more for your money. I just feel that cars like the 500 on this thread, however nice, should reflect the fact that there’s some pretty decent AMGs out there for not a whole lot more cash nowadays - the gap isn’t very large :)

With regards the 211 E500, I’ve seen very few on the roads and for sale, certainly less than I have of E55s. A quick glance over at ‘howmanyleft’ seems to support that in terms of vehicles registered over the years etc.

And when it comes to the numbers sold, you can’t really blame MB for that - it was supply and demand. They didn’t limit production but a large amount of customers were buying diesels back then of course. If you wanted something performance orientated you went for an AMG. Which left the 500s in an unusual spot with the running costs of a V8 Mercedes, but without the luxury of something like an S-class, nor the performance of an AMG or the economy of some of the very decent CDIs that were so popular back then. As they sold so few 211 and early 212 500s perhaps they responded to demand and dropped the 500 for the later cars as you mention.

But as a used buy nowadays, you get so much more for your money. I just feel that cars like the 500 on this thread, however nice, should reflect the fact that there’s some pretty decent AMGs out there for not a whole lot more cash nowadays - the gap isn’t very large :)

500's have always commanded a premium over diesels for petrol heads like me. Even more so now ULEZ and other diesel bans are popping up all over the face.

And E55's and E63's have always commanded a premium over 500's. When I bought mine that premium was 30-odd per cent and probably still is. So the absolute amounts have come down and the absolute gap has come down but the % still stands.

One of the newer posters was asking if he should consider the 5.5 500 and whether it was "sporty". I'd say yes it is and yes he should consider a decent well specced one - at the right price.

The branding in the UK has been a bit rubbish. If the 5.5 had been called an E43 or something people would be able to imagine a bit better where in the range it fits.

Like an S6 it's going to be fast but not as fast as it's big brother. It'll cost more to fuel than a diesel but less to run than an AMG. It looks and sounds more anonymous which is a bonus to some and not to others.

Anyway, the right 5.5 at the right price is worth a look.

The V8 E500 was never really destined for the UK anyway. It was really developed for the American market, who loved their V8's, using the V8 that is standard in the bigger luxury cars.

The marketing plan, for both AMG and BMW M Sport since 2000 is to switch top end users into the racier AMG's and M series versions, which are more easily differentiated.

It's just that, for some of us, sporting "edge" isn't anything we want, or need, in real world use.

That said, the AMG story is impressive and I'd recommend that people visit AMG for the factory tour, if you're ever near Stuttgart. They really are dedicated to their craft.

Last edited:
Come out, come out, wherever you are......

Sold, and collected, last night, apparently, on its first viewing. Last seen going over the Severn Bridge.

"Not that I was interested, of course...."

Last edited:
It wasn't me! I would of been interested in it, had I been ready to buy, but as mentioned I would be looking for a couple of grand off as I think I would of wanted an AMG for £16k. Obviously the chap got what he wanted though and I can see why. It looked to be in great condition and is obviously super-rare.

Sold, and collected, last night, apparently, on its first viewing.

Really? It had been on sale for a month, and that was the first viewing? Either a mug, or it sold for significantly less than the asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom