s212 e500, I know these are scarce but..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I
Really? It had been on sale for a month, and that was the first viewing? Either a mug, or it sold for significantly less than the asking price.
I think it’d only been on sale for a week, hadn’t it?

My understanding was that it had been up for about a week, and that it went under a telephone offer last weekend, subject to it being viewed and collected by the weekend.

Not that I was interested, of course.......

Exceptional car in terms of ownership, mileage and condition. I may be wrong but Doreen, its alleged first owner would have bought it when she was eighty, like the guy who owned my own E500 estate. She probably never even took this 380bhp motor to the 'Ring.

How coincidental, the first owner of my E class was also called Doreen and was allegedly in her eighties when she bought it. o_O Oh, and her husband was Dr, surgeon.

Funny how these E500's are regarded by the majority of watchers as over-priced yet seem to go for prices that are 'too high' compared to the AMG versions, yet sell in a matter of days....

I think it’d only been on sale for a week, hadn’t it?

I'm not sure where I got the idea it had been on sale for a month. DOH!

Funny how these E500's are regarded by the majority of watchers as over-priced yet seem to go for prices that are 'too high' compared to the AMG versions, yet sell in a matter of days....

It only takes one person to think the price is ok...or for the seller to drop a tad as selling big petrol cars can be a problem. I can certainly see why someone might of paid asking price. As we’ve been saying, an E500 has loads of advantages compared to AMGs. I really liked this particular one, even the brown!

Well, it didn't sell for the asking price, did it? It went 'under a telephone offer last weekend, subject to it being viewed and collected by the weekend'; in other words, "how much for a quick sale?" I doubt that indicates just a tad under the asking price.

We don’t know what it sold for.

My comment was that the seller took a thousand pound telephone deposit last weekend, on the understanding that it would be collected and paid by Friday. He may have accepted a deal, he might not.

But it was a weird car, well away from routine spec and provenance

dd17f586cf0e17607224a47054478ebb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even realise E500 S212's existed, It is certainly a niche car in the UK. Also can't work out why they brand them as E550's in the USA, can't see any logic to differentiate. As a new car surely the appeal is low in the UK, if you want a V8 you get and E63, and if you don't want the fuel cost but still kind of fast you get something like an E350. Price of fuel makes it hard to justify wafting about in an E500 surely? I agree the second hand market brings an entirely different appeal and dynamic.

The simplest comparison is M5 and 550i.

One car is for all out performance, in a saloon body. The other is effectively a smaller limousine tor someone who doesn't have a chauffeur, nor need the long legroom in the back.

Fuel consumption is irrelevant on a car that loses £13-15k a year for the first owner.

But, as discussed before, the E500 is a V8 for the world market, not for the UK. A default choice for America, when any Mercedes is a luxury decision, and for the Middle East & wealthier bits of Asia.

And, of course, it's a use for the well established Mercedes V8.

Why are 5.5 litre V8's in the States called 550's ? (SL550, CL550, CLS550, E550, S550, GL550, ML550 ? Because the US market loves big engines and holds on to the numbering conventions of two or three decades ago - for Mercedes and BM's. (This is the market where they still lie about "Hemis," and which would have insisted that the fastest Taycan be called "Turbo."

One teensy advantage over the BMW 550i : the Mercedes engine doesn't blow itself up after about 50k miles, necessitating a complete rebuild, usually under BMW warranty. BMW Settles N63 V8 Oil Consumption Lawsuit | BimmerLife

No distronic, probably no rear heated seats or reverse camera or rear dvds but the only thing I don’t like about it is the anaemic looking wood. I don’t think it has faded it’s just that particularly colour. £16k ... probably more like £14k max. (I’d probably ask £14k for mine if I was selling). But yes, super rare and half average mileage.

I think it is faded.. on the photo looking in through the passenger doorway you can see the end of the wood panel which is the original colour. Same as in mine.

Apparently my E500 sport is only 1 of 34 ever sold in the UK. May be why I’ve never seen one for sale since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us more! Which model do you have (body shape, era, colour, etc)? There are a dozen or so current and former E500 owners on here, which must be a fair proportion of all of them! Welcome to the forum by the way...

I didn't even realise E500 S212's existed, It is certainly a niche car in the UK. Also can't work out why they brand them as E550's in the USA

MIW covers it pretty well.

But as for the branding in the UK I read at the time MB UK decided to "downgrade" the 550 to a 500 as they wanted to funnel punters to either to (i) the 350 diesels for people bothered about economy or, much more likely, company car tax or (ii) to the 63's for which they could charge a nice fat premium.

Having a 550 would just bugger things up as the company car buyers would ignore it but the prospective 63 owners that weren't that bothered about ultimate power might save a few bob and go for one of them instead.

I can see the logic but on the other hand Audi sold plenty of S6's, BMW seemed to sell quite a few 550's and now MB have created the E43.

Are there any ways to increase the power on a Mercedes e500,
I’ve seen a 4.7l one with over 600bhp stage 3.
Are there any turbos for the Mercedes e500 5.5l anyone knows of?

Nothing is impossible if you have enough money, but I'd be very surprised if you find any sort of turbo setup for that engine. Who would bother? For more power, any sensible person would have bought an E63 in the first place.

You could have it remapped to liberate a little more power, but remapped N/A engines don't usually give more than about a 10% improvement, if that, and that's not enough to be really noticeable. Even if it has E63 badging, which I suspect the previous owner will have fitted, it's always going to be a sheep in wolf's clothing, I'm afraid.

MIW covers it pretty well.
But as for the branding in the UK I read at the time MB UK decided to "downgrade" the 550 to a 500 as they wanted to funnel punters to either to (i) the 350 diesels for people bothered about economy or, much more likely, company car tax or (ii) to the 63's for which they could charge a nice fat premium.
Having a 550 would just bugger things up as the company car buyers would ignore it but the prospective 63 owners that weren't that bothered about ultimate power might save a few bob and go for one of them instead.
I can see the logic but on the other hand Audi sold plenty of S6's, BMW seemed to sell quite a few 550's and now MB have created the E43.

It's "Rest of the World" not just a UK thing. The E550 only exists in the USA and Canada, where there's a tradition of massive engines. In the Rest of the World, from Germany to Japan, the E550 doesn't exist. (Ditto S550, CL550, CLS550, SL550)

Why? Because the Rest of the World doesn't quite have the same Big is better mentality and has a longer memory, and still values the historic numbering of the old 500 series V8's, across the Mercedes range. Like the W124 500E from the 1990's which is worth about £60,000 these days. Here's one from today's auction at Silverstone. (Don't get too excited, such cars are either absurdly low mileage - this one's just 35,000 miles, or heavily, and expensively, restored.)

Yours for £60,000 today.......... 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500E (W124)

01.jpg

I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom