• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Should I change shocks on a 10 year old CLK because the coil spring is broken

4n0y-merc

Car
Mercedes SLC
Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can give me advice on replacing my CLK 2004 front shocks (gas type)

I heard a bang whilst going over a dreaded speed bump and on closer examination I notice a broken front coil. Replacing it seems quit easy, however I'm thinking, its an 11 year old car, i had it almost since new (6months old) so I know the suspension is all original.

Changing the one coil won't cost much (£50ish) but changing the coil and suspension means replacing both front £250ish Am I going to see any benefit form changing the shock as well?

This didn't come a a good time because I just forked out for a set of 18 wheel at over £1200 (pick them up this week, not fitted yet) so I'm reluctant to replace if I'm not going to see the benefit.

Do gas shock wear out if so after how long?

Isn't always the way that something will go wrong when least able to afford it? IMO, you could probably get away with not replacing the damper units (shocks) if they are in decent, working condition. Opinions vary but as at least one end of the damper will have to be loosened anyway, I personally would always replace them for peace of mind…..it all depends on whether or not you subscribe to Murphy's Law.
If I didn't replace the dampers at the same time, guaranteed one or more would give up the ghost a few days later and end up costing more than it would if I had replaced them at the same time as the springs.

Gas shocks do wear. They develop a knock, or a leak, or both.

On my wife's car this happened at 15k miles, on mine at 50k. But I also know of cars where the original shocks lasted for 80k miles.

Like brake pads or clutch, it depends more on how they are being used, than on how long they have been used. And speed bumps are a killer for suspension components (and brakes).

I would say that if these were the rear springs, then replace the shocks only of needed.

But with front springs, if this was my car I would change the shocks as well while the MacPherson struts are out.

As your going to have the strut out to change the coil then personally I'd do the shocks at the same time, after 11 years they will be getting tired regardless of mileage and the feeling will be a lot different especially as the degradation won't be felt if you use the car all the time it sort of just sneaks up on you

Thanks guys new shocks order

You've already decided but just as a foot note - my car is an 85k October 2004 and I've just replaced both rear shocks as one was weeing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom