• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tell me about owning a Range Rover..

It's the reliability that scares me off from any LR product, Discos and RRs always seem to have something wrong with them, some joint that needs replacing something that should have been greased.............

There's someone on the Discovery forum with this unreliable scrap of junk:

Since he's had it though he's had numerous gearbox problems with this one and his old one. Thats one thing which has always put me off.

The ZF gearboxes are sensitive to the ATF used. ANYTHING other than Lifeguard 6 fluid (the ZF box was developed and tested using this fluid) is asking for trouble. Many independent, and believe it or not, some Land Rover dealerships, use alternative fluids which are of a similar specification, but not the correct product.

The oft misused alternative fluid is Shell 135.74. The Lifeguard 6 fluid is indeed the Shell 135.74 base fluid but with additives added by ZF in the development of the gearbox. I had two indi garages change the fluid on my car (my gearbox was perfect but as part of good practice I wanted an oil and filter change) and both used different alternatives to Lifeguard 6, resulting in clunky 2-1 changedown. Cue yours truly hiring a local ramp, fitting a new filter and running through around 20 litres of Lifegaurd 6. Changes are now seamless.

2nd%20June%202015%20028.jpg

Last edited:
The ZF gearboxes are sensitive to the ATF used. ANYTHING other than Lifeguard 6 fluid (the ZF box was developed and tested using this fluid) is asking for trouble. Many independent, and believe it or not, some Land Rover dealerships, use alternative fluids which are of a similar specification, but not the correct product.

Is yours a 6-speed 6HP26X gearbox? The specification is ATF M-1375.4. So long the oil meets this specification, it is safe to use with this gearbox. There's a few oils available. Mine runs Millermatic ATF-DM. I had Millers Oils confirm the compatibility with ZF before I went with it. Put 3k miles on it since, all good.

Is yours a 6-speed 6HP26X gearbox? The specification is ATF M-1375.4. So long the oil meets this specification, it is safe to use with this gearbox. There's a few oils available. Mine runs Millermatic ATF-DM. I had Millers Oils confirm the compatibility with ZF before I went with it. Put 3k miles on it since, all good.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier the base spec is Shell 1375.4. My box is 6HP26.

However, in development of the box, ZF added various things to aid certain functions, so although you might get away with a fluid that is 1357.4 there's no guarantee the box will behave perfectly and premature failure could result with the main risk being overheating (fluid expands) at extreme operating conditions.

Lifeguard 6 is mystery in that no-one knows what additives are in it. If I had developed the fluid, I wouldn't reveal its contents if I could sell it at a higher price than the available equivalents. That said, it has come down in price over the last year or so.

[YOUTUBE]ZRrgmfM8VlQ[/YOUTUBE]

RR L322 autobiography had 1 and it is the most unreliable car ive ever had there was so many things that went wrong i cant even list them all i can say is after the second fuel pump went in under a year it was time to get shot. never again

my wife said she didn't want anyone to think she was a Traveller. I tried to point out that this was not a Mitsubishi or Toyota etc

Buy the new Mitsu........keep it filthy and everyone will think your Farmers not Travellers.......

Travellers clean, Farmers work ;)

Yes, as I mentioned earlier the base spec is Shell 1375.4. My box is 6HP26.

However, in development of the box, ZF added various things to aid certain functions, so although you might get away with a fluid that is 1357.4 there's no guarantee the box will behave perfectly and premature failure could result with the main risk being overheating (fluid expands) at extreme operating conditions.

Lifeguard 6 is mystery in that no-one knows what additives are in it. If I had developed the fluid, I wouldn't reveal its contents if I could sell it at a higher price than the available equivalents. That said, it has come down in price over the last year or so.

If no-one knows what additives are in the ZF oil, how do we know they are there in the first place? ;) This "mystery" allows LR to charge £19 per litre.

Millermatic is popular with the 6HP26 people and has been for a number of years. I think the key is to flush rather than rely on 'Life'guard-ness of the ZF. That said, if LR dropped the price to a reasonable level, I'd be using that but I just felt rebellious.

At the end of the day, they all adhere to the same standard. No doubt some do better than others. Can recommend Millers as using it myself.

Happy birthday, btw. :thumb:

I should have mentioned in my explanation about the Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 that the Q7 is a stretched version of the other two. Its about a foot longer to accommodate 7 seats whereas the Touareg and Cayenne are 5 seaters. I must admit if I was buying new I'd still be interested in a Touareg but the Audi SQ5 is also pushing my buttons at the moment...

You'll be looking at the newer 3.6 tdv8 which will come with brembo brakes. I never had these on mine so I can't compare the costs.

Pagid brakes on mine were very cheap from what I recall. I'd also steer clear of the retractable side steps. Go wrong a lot and let's be honest who ever uses them? I'd rather have fixed or chrome bars.

gvm, if you have an itch for a FFRR, then that needs scratching, accept no substitutes!

as SPX stated earlier, the 4.2 V8 was a terrific drive

gvm, if you have an itch for a FFRR, then that needs scratching, accept no substitutes!

as SPX stated earlier, the 4.2 V8 was a terrific drive

I have yearned for a RR for about forty years but it was never the right time for one reason or another. The ONLY thing holding me back is concerns over reliability. I would hope that a three/four year old L322, being at the end of it's model life, would be pretty much sorted but it is difficult to sort true life experiences from 'Chinese whisper' apocryphal tales. My abiding memory of Land Rover products (I owned a defender for nine years and followed the marque closely) is of poor build quality, hit and miss reliability and questionable customer service.

It is a huge step commitment wise to buy something like a S/C RR (FFRR), hence why my slight hesitation. Members on hear have been very helpful with their experiences and it is a matter of overcoming my worries relating to reliability….having made such a financial commitment, I would really prefer to be able to keep my dream car for several years.

I/we will take a trip out to a dealer very soon and have a look….I really hope the overall dimensions don't put my wife off (pauses for a snigger) because I have told her a blatant man maths white lie…I know the RR is slightly larger than a Toyota Land Cruiser V8 (which she thinks is too big) but I have convinced her the RR is only slightly longer than her old Saab estate and shorter than my old Saab estate (9-3 & 9-5).:o :D

Which engine are you thinking of? The V8 petrol or the V8 diesel? The newer 4.4 V8 diesel has 310bhp and achieves 35mpg on a run whereas the 505bhp supercharged V8 petrol does not do 35mpg...

If you're spending the kind of money I think you're spending them you'll more than likely be buying from the main dealer so it comes with a warranty the same as the initial three years 'manufacturers' warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must have lived a long way from the garage he endlessly had it repaired at?

There's quite a few on there with lunar mileage, makes a mockery of the sneering attitude that (usually German car owners) have towards the newer generation of LR's (2004 onwards).

If no-one knows what additives are in the ZF oil, how do we know they are there in the first place? ;) This "mystery" allows LR to charge £19 per litre.

Millermatic is popular with the 6HP26 people and has been for a number of years. I think the key is to flush rather than rely on 'Life'guard-ness of the ZF. That said, if LR dropped the price to a reasonable level, I'd be using that but I just felt rebellious.

At the end of the day, they all adhere to the same standard. No doubt some do better than others. Can recommend Millers as using it myself.

Happy birthday, btw. :thumb:

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :thumb:

LG6 is expensive, although I found a place in Liverpool that was reasonably priced at around £14/15 per litre and because I wanted 21 litres and a filter I got a discount too IIRC. 9.5lt in the box and rarely more than 6-7lt comes out so I just couldn't bring myself to save £60-70 on a £3.5 - 4k gearbox.

On the FFRR forum, there's a guy who had a powerflush on his 6HP26 and he reckoned that debris that was hiding away, doing no harm was dislodged and destroyed his box. However, I was speaking to a very knowledgeable mate of mine yesterday who visited a state of the art gearbox plant and they carry out the flush as a matter of course.

Of course, there's nothing to say that the LG6 I got a deal on from Liverpool isn't Lyle's Golden Syrup. :crazy: Who knows... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom