• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tell me about owning a Range Rover..

Had a Discovery 3 for a few years. Great to drive, very versatile but there's a list of about twelve pricey problems most owners will encounter.

I went through all the common faults but still loved the car. The parting came when a main dealer noted the beginnings of brake line corrosion, big bucks to sort out.

The saying 'Land Rover - making mechanics out of motorists since 1948' is very true, but they do have something about them despite the expensive shortcomings.

If no-one knows what additives are in the ZF oil, how do we know they are there in the first place? ;) This "mystery" allows LR to charge £19 per litre.

Millermatic is popular with the 6HP26 people and has been for a number of years. I think the key is to flush rather than rely on 'Life'guard-ness of the ZF. That said, if LR dropped the price to a reasonable level, I'd be using that but I just felt rebellious.

At the end of the day, they all adhere to the same standard. No doubt some do better than others. Can recommend Millers as using it myself.

Happy birthday, btw. :thumb:

Gearbox flushing is become a worryingly obsessive pastime with LR owners ;)

Joking apart, the ridiculously long service intervals recommended by LR are being ignored by serious owners and there's one or two mechanics who have invested in mobile units to travel the country doing mobile flushes/lube change. A quick search on the Disco3 site will give masses of detail.

Which engine are you thinking of? The V8 petrol or the V8 diesel? The newer 4.4 V8 diesel has 310bhp and achieves 35mpg on a run whereas the 505bhp supercharged V8 petrol does not do 35mpg...

If you're spending the kind of money I think you're spending them you'll more than likely be buying from the main dealer so it comes with a warranty the same as the initial three years 'manufacturers' warranty.

I am very much leaning towards the petrol version. The diesel makes a lot of sense but sense doesn't always come into it. I/we aren't bothered about the mpg…the cars are filled up when needed and I only reset the trip out of habit nowadays.

Quite right about the dealer warranty; we would be buying their as opposed to privately and would be looking at the extended warranties, just the same as we would for any older car as we would want to keep it for a few years.

I am very much leaning towards the petrol version. The diesel makes a lot of sense but sense doesn't always come into it. I/we aren't bothered about the mpg…the cars are filled up when needed and I only reset the trip out of habit nowadays.

I think you'll love it, seriously, there is nothing else on the road that comes close to a FFRR with a supercharged V8.

I'll look forward to seeing how you get on.

Had a Discovery 3 for a few years. Great to drive, very versatile but there's a list of about twelve pricey problems most owners will encounter.

I went through all the common faults but still loved the car. The parting came when a main dealer noted the beginnings of brake line corrosion, big bucks to sort out.

The saying 'Land Rover - making mechanics out of motorists since 1948' is very true, but they do have something about them despite the expensive shortcomings.

That saying certainly applied to my Defender pre-transformation into a 300TDi. The sole reason for this thread is to try and gauge if LR products have improved sufficiently to warrant the kind of expenditure I am looking at. In 2010, I walked away from a brand new Defender because I saw two, year old examples with rusty brown rear cross members and at the time, LR were not enjoying the best of reputations with their customers up to that time.

From what I have read on the FFRR forum, the L322 suffers from rust around the tailgate and rear arches, even the later facelift ones.

We've certainly got a lot of Defender station wagons on the fleet now ; they're all on the 110 wheelbase with a dark metallic red base coat before we get the battenberg , blue lights and other stuff put on ; they all have towbars and electric Windows some have winches , roof racks and snorkels .

I know the emergency services get a good deal on them and I always enjoy it if I manage to blag one for a day . None of the ones I've driven have had any problems , nor have I heard any complaints . I like them a lot .

We've certainly got a lot of Defender station wagons on the fleet now ; they're all on the 110 wheelbase with a dark metallic red base coat before we get the battenberg , blue lights and other stuff put on ; they all have towbars and electric Windows some have winches , roof racks and snorkels .

I know the emergency services get a good deal on them and I always enjoy it if I manage to blag one for a day . None of the ones I've driven have had any problems , nor have I heard any complaints . I like them a lot .

I did contemplate waiting for the new Defender; I still miss my old 90. The current one (or earlier version) would only be suitable if I rebuilt it or built one to my specification. Things it would have to have would be automatic gearbox, extensive soundproofing, galvanised chassis and bulkhead, one piece steel doors all round, seat boxes removed and seats put on frames, something a lot larger than a four pot diesel (but not a Rover V8), front and rear differential locks, and the list goes on…

The fact is, as my wife reminded me, I have been yearning for a Range Rover for all the time we have been together plus another twenty years before that. The Defender is a fine vehicle but is not suitable without considerable modifications and ultimately, it isn't a FFRR.

I for one want to vicariously enjoy your ownership and experience of a FFRR - do it ! !

The only thing I would say about Range Rovers is for a big 4x4 they are not that big inside.

I found this. Drove an 08 plate full fatter, owned by the MD of my previous company, for 2.5 hours on the motorway and A roads.

There is bugger all room inside - I find my E more spacious.

High seating position was interesting and I quite liked that.

TDV8 pulled well and did OK at speed.

I think it was reliable on the whole but did have dopey electronic issues.

It's finest hour was driving up an icy steep hill back in the snow of 2009 or 2010 - 4 up. Very impressive, particularly when nearly coming to a halt and moving off again on a particularly slippery bit.

Did it give me a yearning for one? No. Underwhelming overall.

Serious offroader and functional vehicle but probably more about status and perception than anything else in all other situations.

The Defender is a fine vehicle but is not suitable without considerable modifications and ultimately, it isn't a FFRR.

They're not known as Deafeners for nothing. I have vivid memories of myself and my brother being consigned to the rear seats in a Defender for very long journeys in East Africa on really rubbish roads. Hearing and bums suffered badly.

Oh Boy - the GL420 is THE car for you. Brabus D6 chip, so 6.5sec to 60 which surprises the bells off of a few boy-racers, Awesome HK 7.1 surround, 35mpg [seriously], as comfortable and quiet as an S-Class....and [being 6'6"] my 6'6" son can sit behind me in total comfort & watch his own DVD selection.
I've had this one for 3 months and totally love it. Every journey feels like you're off to invade somewhere.....and it's highly competent in a muddy field.
PM if if you fancy a go....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Oh Boy - the GL420 is THE car for you. Brabus D6 chip, so 6.5sec to 60 which surprises the bells off of a few boy-racers, Awesome HK 7.1 surround, 35mpg [seriously], as comfortable and quiet as an S-Class....and [being 6'6"] my 6'6" son can sit behind me in total comfort & watch his own DVD selection.
I've had this one for 3 months and totally love it. Every journey feels like you're off to invade somewhere.....and it's highly competent in a muddy field.
PM if if you fancy a go....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Thank you for your offer; it is very kind of you and demonstrates clearly why this forum is as good as it is.

I do like the GL and the GLC; we looked at a GL63 that caught my wife's eye at the local dealership. The decision what to buy was lead by our need not to have anything to do with MB, unfortunately. That and my longing for a RR. The choice was to buy an older or out of warranty MB or buy from another manufacturer. There is lots to be said about the former, however...

We have pretty much decided on the latter…many things have happened regarding MB UK and two of their dealers that I am not willing to post about but the upshot is that I/we would rather take our chances with another marque than give MB any more business when it comes to buying a new or nearly new vehicle.

We wil keep the A220 for now but everything else is going. As time goes by, I can see us buying that out warranty MB as another second car and have an independent look after it but at the moment, MB or their dealers will not get another penny from us.

I am sorry to say this at all and sorry to have to say it, in this place of all places but it is how we feel.

Last edited:
driving up an icy steep hill back in the snow of 2009 or 2010 - 4 up. Very impressive, particularly when nearly coming to a halt and moving off again on a particularly slippery bit.

It must have had winter tyres on as there are plenty of Youtube video's showing how useless the RR is on ice and snow on regular tyres even on a flat surface.

It must have had winter tyres on as there are plenty of Youtube video's showing how useless the RR is on ice and snow on regular tyres even on a flat surface.

There's an infamous youtube clip of one being pulled off the muddy car park by a tractor at Silverstone the year it rained a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom