Test drive review - E350CDI Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NISFAN

Car
F13 M6.....for now
My Mercedes dealer very kindly let me use this little number this weekend, so thought I might give a little write up on my thoughts.....a mini review :)

1049.jpg

1047.jpg

1051.jpg

1052.jpg

Doesn't a review need words? :)

Shame it wasn't spec'd with Drive Select 7g.

Drop that car off at the Duck Bay Marina Hotel, and let me take it for a grand tour of Scotland. I'll require the car for 2 days, but I'll review it and picture it for you, for free...

So after discussing a new car with my MB dealer, they agreed to let me take home an E 350 CDI SPORT Coupe. Brand new with 2900 miles on the clock, fitted with COMAND and the 19" Wheel option. Other than that I think pretty standard.

Now, this was the first time I got behind the wheel of of a Coupe. I own a C class which this is based on, and have previously driven the new version of the 350CDI in a E saloon. So how does it all fit together in the very smart coupe exterior?

Engine: As many might know, I am a bit of a diesel convert. I do lots of miles and enjoy the easy torque available on modern Turbo Diesels. With 250 ish bhp on tap and 620Nm spread over a broad speed range this engine is the epitome of the modern TD, smooth effortless power, but with the ability be a little fiesty at top end.

Is it a rocket? Well not really, the 1.8 tons of metal blunts the power output, but with the 7G+ box it does whooosh you smoothly up to very illegal speeds reasonably quickly. It is a brisk car without challenging your neck muscles. Just enough power for most situations.

Like most diesel V6's there is a feint gruffness to it, but feels all the better for it .....in my opinion.

Gearbox: Now I am no fan of auto gearboxes, or 'Lottery boxes' as I call them. I have just about always ever opted for manual, but alas, when you get to diesels this size, that is not longer an option.
What I dislike about auto's is the irratating 'drive on' when almost coming to a halt, also the slush from the torque convertor....that raising the revs with no extra forward movement when you floor it, and worst of all the need to exagerate throttle inputs to force the gearbox comittee to choose the right gear. Grrrr.

Does the new 7G+ display all these traits?

Well yes it certainly does. However they have been calmed down from what I remember, perhaps it is down to the V6 engine, or perhaps the comittee is more mature than the usual group of toddlers. Surprisingly I found that the torque convertor never 'locks up' even in 7th....weird!
I tried some 0-60 runs, and as usual there was a massive pause between mashing the pedal and some forward movement.....creeping at first then picking up speed in a very smooth fashion. Absolutely no wheelspin on dry tarmac (ASC disabled), and not even that much on rough but damp tarmac, the odd chirp when you go over a small bump. My manual timing seem to suggest MB are spot on, well would be if you kept your foot on the brake pedal while you floored the loud pedal.

Sport mode should be the standard setting as Eco or whatever it is makes the changes way too slow.

The car is fitted with flappy paddles, so manual mode must be peachy?

Wrong, manual mode is just totally useless, for some reason there is....what feels like an hour delay between your flap and the gearboxes flip.
On top of that when you aim for the redline, the damn gearbox changes itself before you get the chance. I swear it revs higher set in Sport mode.

Are there ANY good bits?

Yes...the gearbox when driven normally gives the smoothest of rides, no jerking, no snatching.......no feeling at all. Great when you want a bit of smooth....and lets be fair....we all like a bit of smooth now and again.

Plus point is the V6 engine gives quite a bit of engine breaking, so flapping down the box is quite rewarding, and you can do this from SPORT mode...Yaaay!

So verdict? Manual mode is useless..which is a shame (MB take note of the new BM box....copy it) but in sport mode it does respond well for an auto, and even a die hard manual freak like me could see myself getting used to it.

Chassis: What can I say, it is a big heavy car and feels safe and well planted. I was surprised at how sof tthe SPORT suspension felt, remember that this had the 19" upgraded wheels, so would feel harsher than the standard 18's. On the motorway, it rode the bumps perfectly. On tight bouncy country roads, it stays fairly settled....a little soft for my liking, but not badly so.

Comfort: Now this was a problem for me.......when I set the steering wheel to the ideal height for me, it covered the top of the instruments, meaning I couldn't see the speedo at around the 80mph part (top of the dial), so not good. If I set it so I could see the dash, then it was too high to rest elbows on anything, and the door rest is set way too low. All in all the seating position is good, but steering wheel just doesn't sit at the right angle to get to a good position. This would be a nighmare on a long drive.

Wheels: WARNING: The 19" wheels will be kurbed....no matter how careful you are. The wheels on this one were already kurbed, and you can easily see why....the spokes on the rim stick out further than the rim itself, and the front wheels are a wide rim with a narrow by comparison tyre, exposing the bead of the rim and of course the spokes.

Consumption: Well I can't possibly comment, I averaged 30mpg, and that included a 25 mile slow cruise to see what I could get out of her. The meter said 41mpg at the end of the sedate run. Annoyingly, the economy bar meter only goes up to 40....WTF!!!

Overall: I loved my time with this car, it looks the biz, goes smoothly, and has a decent turn of speed should the occasion require it. There are a few niggles like the pathetic rear head room, but I guess you kind of expect that from a Coupe????

I am now deliberating between buying one of these (my hearts decision) and the sensible F30 330D (my heads decision)......Help!!!!!

Oooops sorry, not so mini review :doh::D

Re your final comments, the F30 330d will be an epic car if specced wisely.

Re your final comments, the F30 330d will be an epic car if specced wisely.

I'm on it.....

330D M Sport
Estoril Blue
Viz pack (Zenons, etc)
Pro Nav
19" Alloys
DAB
Heated seats
Comfort Pack
Adaptive suspension
The servicing pack (this alone is the best thing ever)

M sport comes with leather standard

BMW are really good with the option prices....much cheaper than MB

Erm.....perhaps not Estoril Blue......shouts M sport a bit :eek: maybe black :rock:

Last edited:
I'm on it.....

330D M Sport
Estoril Blue
Viz pack (Zenons, etc)
Pro Nav
19" Alloys
DAB
Heated seats
Comfort Pack
Adaptive suspension
The servicing pack (this alone is the best thing ever)

M sport comes with leather standard

BMW are really good with the option prices....much cheaper than MB

Erm.....perhaps not Estoril Blue......shouts M sport a bit :eek: maybe black :rock:

Just add sun protection glass and upgraded stereo to complete:D

Definitely the upgraded stereo. BMW's tend to have crap sound systems as standard.

Is the business stereo upgrade enough? Or HK? £400 vs £650, guess HK?

I do wonder where MB are going with their interiors, very angular and messy. Far prefer the BMW at present...

6-2010-F1-BMW-525d-Drivers-Interior-View.jpg

BMW are certainly more advanced when it comes to toys and functionality. Little touches like lighting colours adjustments, loads of pages of functions on the idrive, etc.

As for better cockpit......I am not sure, BMW feels a little cold to me, but then maybe I feel more at home in (familiar) merc surroundings????

Still think Alfa win hands down inside :rock:

I tried some 0-60 runs, and as usual there was a massive pause between mashing the pedal and some forward movement

It's high time MB sorted this on the V6 diesels.

The twin turbo 220/250 displays none on this, just push the loud pedal and whooooooooosh.

Not good enough MB :(.

Great review BTW.

One minor point - I believe (in E Class) the 7g+ is denoted by a column shift, but your demo Coupe still has a gearstick :dk:.

Last edited:
I was hoping for a 550D Touring to be announced, but it seems the UK won't be getting the Thunderous 550 Diesel in any form! :(

I was hoping for a 550D Touring to be announced, but it seems the UK won't be getting the Thunderous 550 Diesel in any form! :(

My dealer looked forward to releases in the pipeline, and no sign of 335D either, Boooooo! :wallbash:

Great review, thanks!

Food for thought when I make my decision on engine choice for my potential future E coupe. Heart says 500, head 250cdi..... we'll see...

It's high time MB sorted this on the V6 diesels.

The twin turbo 220/250 displays none on this, just push the loud pedal and whooooooooosh.

Not good enough MB :(.

Great review BTW.

One minor point - I believe (in E Class) the 7g+ is denoted by a column shift, but your demo Coupe still has a gearstick :dk:.

I did enquire about the shift lever....the salesman said 'they left it there as it is a sports model'

Probably more like 'because it is a C class chassis' , but it is definitely 7G Plus :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom