Test drove an Audi, and I'm tempted to go "over there"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had 5 Audis over the years

1988 Audi 80 2.0
1991 Audi 90 2.0 (5 cylinder lump)
1995 Audi A6 2.0
2001 Audi A6 1.9 TDi Avant SE
2004 Audi A6 1.9 TDi Avant SE

In each car I have covered between 50,000 and 120,000 miles. I cannot ever remember having a serious problem with any of them. The two oldest Audis I had as 2nd hand with high mileages already on them - no problems either. Also - never any rust - fully galvanised bodyshells saw to that. Build quality has always been good, and there's that nice thunk that the doors make when you close them.

I have heard anough about unhelpful Mercedes dealers and rust on cars under ten years old to keep me away from the 3 pointed star fold.

Also - while the purists will argue that RWD is the only way to go, FWD is better for most people most of the time.

So what, you may ask, am I doing here? well, I have always had a soft spot for W124s and large cheap S class saloons.

Ideal would have to be a W124 CE Coupe 320 in Nautic Blue, Tourmaline Green or Almandine Red with cream leather upholstory and air conditioning - one of the most elegant cars ever made. :)

well having tired of searching for a 190e 2.5-16v or E36 coupe i recently bought a 2001 Audi RS4, the 2.7 V6 bi-turbo version - and i have to say that for me its the perfect car to have in the UK with the sort of weather we have here. grips like the tyres have glue on them and goes like a rocket, the power is truely amazing and the tuning potential of the engine is massive with no major changes required else where on the car. the interior quality reminds me of mercs of yesterday year.

I'm quite keen on the new S4 Avant 3.0 supercharged.

I like the understated looks and the power coupled with half sensible fuel economy - I drive 20,000 miles a year so it needs to be reasonably sensible.

I'd decided a C63 estate was simply not viable for the mileage I cover and once I drove one I felt it was simply too powerful....fantastic car, but not a daily driver.

Audi vs Mercedes.

I once had a modified audi 80 2.0 sport and also an a4. The audi 80 was by far the better built car. It seems that to keep prices down that audi have skimped on build quality for which they were renowned. MB in my opinion havent and still today make in my eyes the finest cars.

My mates 2 year old "enthusiasticlly" driven A4 has had a couple of problems, its worn out its rear shocks and suspension bushes and has just developed a strange clonk when cornering you can feel through the pedals and steering, Audi have changed lots of parts including the entire front crossmember, they've had to get a guy over from germany now cos its still doing it, he's had a courtesy car for over a fortnight so far.

To date i've never been an Audi fan however, the RS4 is an awesome awesome piece of kit. The noise and grip is sensational.

I don't have that kind of cash bit if i did i'd have one over an M3 in a heartbeat, but drive some AMG's first........

I owned an Audi A4 Cabriolet (2.4 Sport) from new in 2003, had it for 18 months or so. Fantastic car, I loved it and thought that build quality was absolutely fine. I never had any problems with it. Although I haven't driven an Audi for a few years I think I would be hard pushed to see the difference in build quality between Merc and Audi.

To be fair a lot of cars have substantially improved their interiors....

I've had 3 A6s in the last 12 years - a 2.0 petrol and two 1.9TDi estates - all pretty much faultless. seems the A4s don't have quite the same reputation though.

I've got an audi A5 now. diesel 3.0. its one of the quickest cars i've ever had - amazing engine and i find the interior very nice indeed.

I provided my sister with a new company car this month, Audi A3 1.4Tfsi S line (her choice), we spent boxing day at her place and I took the car for spin.

My observations:-

Nicely finished, good design, comfortable seats (leather).

Interior. clear instruments, nice consistent fit lines and feels very well put together, not a design statment but easy to read/use.

This was a little lightly powered for my taste, but my neice drives it so we settled on a sensible engine. Very short pedal travel, particularly the throttle, short crisp positive gear change, light clutch. Easy car to drive.

Suspension, shockingly hard, I guess thats the trade off for sports handling and 40 section tyres, but boy was it hard, felt like a bone shaker.

Mrs M has a new A class, these cars both felt well put together and nicely designed, they are certainly comparable quality wise, both cars make the interior of my Saab look a level lower in fit and quality.

However, my Saab is a lot more comfortable by a large margin (but then it's a bigger different class of car).

I can't get over how hard the ride was in the A3, other than that, nice car.

Last edited:
My first post here, im actualy looking at swapping my Audi for a Merc.

I have a A4 2.6 V6 Quattro, Been looking at a swap for the below car

My Audi
DSCF1007Small.jpg

Its a C200 Sport Auto estate. 108k miles with full service history

2023_12120003.jpg

2023_12120004.jpg

I have drove an Rs4 before and also a Rs6, i prefaird the Rs6 over the Rs4, just something about the 6 that felt right, ive also had a shot of an A5, 3.0 TDI,

Personaly if it was me ide be going for the Rs6, but obvisley you have a budget to stick too.

Graeme

Welcome Graeme...

Which RS4 did you drive, the 4.2 V8 one or the 2.7V6 twin turbo one? If it was the later I am not surprised you liked the RS6. My next door neighbour had one, and it sounded like god clearing his throat.

What engine is the C class estate you're looking @. Check the car over for rust (these things corrode). I guess you're looking for one of comparible power to your Audi.

Welcome Graeme...

Which RS4 did you drive, the 4.2 V8 one or the 2.7V6 twin turbo one? If it was the later I am not surprised you liked the RS6. My next door neighbour had one, and it sounded like god clearing his throat.

Ahhh but the 2.7 is so tunable, a good friend of mine has one (he's an Audi fan, normally has 2 or 3 audis at any one time) which has been MTM'd to the extreme. I've never been in anything quite so astonishingly fast.

I will also have to put in a good word for the Audi RS6, A great Car, the power it generates is very impresive, the drive of it when crusing or with the foot down, the interior are very high. its my brother-in-law pride and joy, would recomend it to all

Hi I have just joi Ed the merc fa
ily after 20 years in Audi A4 I have had coupes, cabs and avants all been co
pang cars so nothing to flash engine wise but my view is that they are differnt cars I loved my A4 s line but the one I had before that was a pile of crap (2ltr tdi) I have to admit the auto box on the merc is better than the one I had in an Audi. The Audi felt better footed but I have only been in my clk for 2 months so a little early to pass judgement.

The merc is a much better cruiser and IMO a better made car, but I ha e to say in 20 years of Audi driving and cover 35,000 most years I NEVER broke down in an Audi

let you know if the same applies to merc in 19 years 10 months coz I am not going back.

Still whichever one you choose you going to own great car

I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom