Test drove an Audi, and I'm tempted to go "over there"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blimey! I've never input any more replies into this thread.

I did say my thanks in a thread I posted regarding the purchase and collection of my Audi, but (albeit rather delayed) many thanks to everyone who posted a reply here.

As I'm sure some of you may know, I ended up going for an Audi RS4, which has proved extremely reliable during the 10 months and 18,000 miles of ownership. :thumb:

Darren

I can not believe that you tested a CLS 63 AMG and your still considering buying an Audi? May I ask what's the matter with you? lol.

I had a little r4c3 with my friends 2007 S5 V8, I was in a 2001 E55 AMG, I left it about 3 cars behind trying to catch me joining the dual carage way... but to be fair the e55 had been tuned.

Sorry but 4wd is boring, the only Audi I like is the R8's!

Audi make a very good "drivers" car, be it an every day "rep" car or the oustanding Quattro models... One of my childhood cars is the UR Quattro as I used to sit in a freezing cold Welsh forest and watch them go past me at about 6 feet away in the then RAC rally.....

If I had to have an Audi it would be an RS6 estate... however I like my cars to be different and whilst I had my CLK500, it was not a common car... I liked that... It's the same with my CLK55 Cab.... I know there are others about but since owning mine I have yet to see another... I like that my cars are different and individual....

Audi have it right with the RS models I'd much rather have an RS over a 911 C2 or C4...

I can not believe that you tested a CLS 63 AMG and your still considering buying an Audi? May I ask what's the matter with you? lol.

I had a little r4c3 with my friends 2007 S5 V8, I was in a 2001 E55 AMG, I left it about 3 cars behind trying to catch me joining the dual carage way... but to be fair the e55 had been tuned.

Sorry but 4wd is boring, the only Audi I like is the R8's!

While the CLS was an astonishing car, I just feared the RWD with that much power.
So, while a RWD AMG will remain on my wish list, I knew that having 4WD would be a great way to introduce myself to 400+bhp motoring.

When I drove an Audi S5, I was blown away at how well in handled, compared to my 124 Coupe. Then driving that RS4, it was even better!

4WD could be classed as boring, however it's very reassuring in wet conditions :D
Even my E Coupe likes to spin it's inside rear in the wet, whereas the Audi just grips and goes!
Also the power split on the RS4 is 40/60 bias RWD, so in certain conditions, the back end can be encouraged ;)

I have to admit, the one thing the RS4 lacks is low-down torque, but that just means I have to use the gear knob a little more ;)
The RS4 has 317lb/ft torque. Even the S5 has more torque, at approx. 325lb/ft. A W210 E55 has approx 350lb/ft.
Also more power is lost through a 4WD drive train.
A standing start in the wet, the Audi would win out. Around a track, I would say the Audi would win.
Mid range and straight line in the dry, the Merc would win for sure.

Back in July, I had a day with an R8. It was an astonishing car. Being the V8 version, it wasn't that much quicker than my car, although the handling was sublime! Also more power is shoved to the rear of an R8, so the back end was extremely easy to step out.
In the current Audi line-up, the R8 is the only car I would have.

Seeing as I can't afford an R8, the RS4 will have to do! :p

Darren

On the torque issue of the W210 E55; it actually is 390lb/ft. The RS4 is nice and all the RS models in a drag race they would jump forward in the wet until the others put the power down. Around a track don't think that the four wheel drive is an asset, particularly audi's which is one of the worst handling 4x4s when compared with lets say Lancia Integralle EVo from european cars and even miles behind the 4x4s of japan as subaru sti and evos. They are dificult to handle, and the RS4 V8 is very heavy in the front.

Both the C63 amg and e92 M3 are quicker around the track than the RS4.

On the torque issue of the W210 E55; it actually is 390lb/ft. The RS4 is nice and all the RS models in a drag race they would jump forward in the wet until the others put the power down. Around a track don't think that the four wheel drive is an asset, particularly audi's which is one of the worst handling 4x4s when compared with lets say Lancia Integralle EVo from european cars and even miles behind the 4x4s of japan as subaru sti and evos. They are dificult to handle, and the RS4 V8 is very heavy in the front.

Both the C63 amg and e92 M3 are quicker around the track than the RS4.

Many thanks for the correction on the torque figure :)

Indeed, the M3 and C63 are both quicker round a track than the RS4 - that's been proven during the 2 track days on which I've taken my RS4.
Following a C63 (with Performance Pack) round Snetterton, it would pull away from me on the straights, but it would simply be to "Merc-like" in the bends, and I would stick with him :D. But I wouldn't be catching him a great pace

I have to admit that I was comparing the RS4 on track to a W210 E55, as that had been previously mentioned.
The RS4 wouldn't ben quicker than an E55 because of the 4WD, it would be more down to the fact that the E55 wouldn't handle as a good as the RS4.

Yup, the Audi is very nose heavy, and understeer is noticeable on the track. I do have to admit, this surprised me the first time it happened. Being bias RWD, I naively thought the back would step out.

I've not driven an Intergrale or Evo, nor driven an Impreza WRX STI hard, but I can certainly imagine that these lighter machines would handle better. But then again, they don't have a V8, and that was a "must have" on the wish-list :thumb:

Darren

Your RS4 would be quicker than the w210 55 on a straight line and the corners, it clearly outpowers the merc 354bhp as standard.

I yet have to test mine on a track, but its more of a cruiser that a track day car, I ll end up straining the chasis.

Audi, brilliant car. An A4 is basically a Passat with a different body shell and not too dis-similar from a Skoda these days.

My son-in-law-to-be has just got himself a new Audi convertible and its a VERY nice car indeed.
Feels of high quality and goes well too.

BUT.......................

..................its not a Mercedes.

Audi, brilliant car. An A4 is basically a Passat with a different body shell and not too dis-similar from a Skoda these days.

It's also the current SEAT Exeo :D

Darren

The old VW PASSAT was a longitudinal engine platform shared with the previous Audi A4 and Seat Exeo and previous Skoda Superb [B5]. The new AUDI platform is still longitudinal with a rearranged transmission but the new Passat [B6] and Superb are transverse engined VW [ PQ46]based in a similar fashion to the Skoda Octavias which were based on versions of the transverse VW golf platform afaik. Volkswagen Passat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I got that right. VAG and their platforms--- most confusing.:confused:

Last edited:
Your RS4 would be quicker than the w210 55 on a straight line and the corners, it clearly outpowers the merc 354bhp as standard.

I yet have to test mine on a track, but its more of a cruiser that a track day car, I ll end up straining the chasis.

You would be surprised... I was behind a 06 RS4 estate about a year ago and that thing just coudnt pull away from me in the E55..

YouTube - E55 AMG V8 W210 Vs AUDI RS4 420 HP V8 *Don't forget to watch in high quality*

You would be surprised... I was behind a 06 RS4 estate about a year ago and that thing just coudnt pull away from me in the E55..

YouTube - E55 AMG V8 W210 Vs AUDI RS4 420 HP V8 *Don't forget to watch in high quality*

In all fairness, that particular E55 has some non-Kompressor Kleemann goodies on it and the RS4 is stock ;)

But a rolling start is largely about torque. The standard N/A M113 AMG unit has that in spades, whereas the RS4 "only" has 317lb/ft, and thats pretty high in the rev range.
:)

Darren

I know about ljungwald's car, it is great isn't it. I will keep my 210 55 for life as even when I go back to Greece for good I will transfer the plates and keep it forever maybe get a runaround as well. This is how fast I would like it to be though and I will gradually be buying that stuff for the mods.

The headers seem to do the trick and the ecu remap. Then add a stainless steel exhaust with racing cats and its awesome. These are neat tuning tricks for a NA car so should not really affect reliability. Slowly and surely I'll get there as these bits are very pricey.

The old VW PASSAT was a longitudinal engine platform shared with the previous Audi A4 and Seat Exeo and previous Skoda Superb [B5]. The new AUDI platform is still longitudinal with a rearranged transmission but the new Passat [B6] and Superb are transverse engined VW [ PQ46]based in a similar fashion to the Skoda Octavias which were based on versions of the transverse VW golf platform afaik. Volkswagen Passat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I got that right. VAG and their platforms--- most confusing.
confused.gif

Sounds about right.

In answer to the OP's question... I'd say: "Buy the one you like"... No?

There do seem to be quite a lot of silly nobbers driving Audis these days though... Doesn't make them bad cars... just an observation...

Last edited:
Apart from Audi A8/S8 ...no other Audi can be compared to any Mercedes ! One of my friends had an S8 an drove it so many times and all i can say is : Awsome !

...but then again , S8 is not Mercedes. :)

You should hear the supercharged MTM RS4 around here at full chat - a very, very angry engine :D

I really don't get these disguises ..... its really easy to see what it looks like under it .

Or is it just to create interest when it is seen on the road ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom