Tyre Pressure Monitoring Works!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
You might remember that Steve activated Tyre Pressure monitoring in my cars cluster a little while ago. Well this morning it worked! I stopped and couldn't see a problem but on checking I found that one of the tyres had a slow puncture and was 7lb below the other three tyres. Good mod!:D

Last edited:
And all it took was activation?

That's a great mod as it's a safety aid and no additional cost. Makes you wonder why it's not done at the factory..:rolleyes:

We have the optional tyre pressure monitoring and I can thoroughly recommend it. No more odd wearing tyres, and it is so easy to check the tyre pressures.

As already stated, why isn't this now a standard feature?

Regards
John

It is proposed to make tyre pressure monitoring law for all new cars in the near future.

The wheels each have a sensor with a life of 6 years, they cost £85 per wheel.
The car of coarse does need to have the monitor fitted to the car to read the info, the info is read from the wheels after approx 1 mile from starting off

The car of coarse does need to have the monitor fitted to the car to read the info, the info is read from the wheels after approx 1 mile from starting off

That's my query, I thought R2D2's car didn't have these fitted, just had the service activated via Star.

We have the optional tyre pressure monitoring and I can thoroughly recommend it. No more odd wearing tyres, and it is so easy to check the tyre pressures.

As already stated, why isn't this now a standard feature?
We're not talking about the same thing.

What R2D2 has does not tell you the tyre pressures, it tells you that one of the tyres is holding a different pressure. That can be measured by sensitive individual wheel speed pulse with respect to steering wheel position.

In order to know the tyre pressures you'd have have to install tyre pressure sensors into each wheel/tyre plus the equipment needed to interrogate those sensors. That's the optional tyre pressure monitoring.

Tyre pressure warning systems are (legally?) REQUIRED if you have run-flat tyres.

What R2D2 has does not tell you the tyre pressures, it tells you that one of the tyres is holding a different pressure. That can be measured by sensitive individual wheel speed pulse with respect to steering wheel position.

So if recieving 4 flat tyres following a Stinger in a Police chase it won't work then....

Damn...

These things can be an expensive option to maintain, when I changed my wheels it was impossible to undo the nut that holds the valve stem on due to corrosion, yes you can hold the rear with a Alen key, then the valve stem breaks off.

You store the tyre pressures into the computer, should one deviate it tells you on the pictogram what wheel it is, but only after 1 mile, I have mine turned off now

No it will not work as you have to drive 1 mile before the reading is taken

Not with the basic system as depicted here. It measures wheel rotation against the others.

I have the tyre monitoring system on the 220 and have put it on the 221. £209 + vat.

Shude is spot on. Tyre pressure monitoring is an option which basically uses the ESP computer to work out if the rotational speed of a tyre is different to the relative speed of the other wheels. Cleverly it needs no additional sensors and is activated just in the cars computer. A fantastic idea that cost me peanuts to get activated!

Shude is spot on. Tyre pressure monitoring is an option which basically uses the ESP computer to work out if the rotational speed of a tyre is different to the relative speed of the other wheels. Cleverly it needs no additional sensors and is activated just in the cars computer. A fantastic idea that cost me peanuts to get activated!

That's great, very useful safety feature!

I can't recall, can this be activated on pre-facelift W203's or do you need a facelift car with the newer cluster?

That's great, very useful safety feature!

I can't recall, can this be activated on pre-facelift W203's or do you need a facelift car with the newer cluster?

You need a facelifted car.

It can be enabled on most new post late 2004 cars. Mercedes charge circa £50 for it as an option. It takes about 10 minutes to enable it!

It can be enabled on most new post late 2004 cars. Mercedes charge circa £50 for it as an option. It takes about 10 minutes to enable it!

Its not on the SL's -CL's still £245 for the monitor the same as on mine, no other type is available

Cheers, that's a shame (for me!)... :mad:

Its not on the SL's -CL's still £245 for the monitor the same as on mine, no other type is available

I bet it is- miro would know! Just coz MB say you can't do it doesn't actually mean you can't.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom