Tyre size/load rating basic question!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedesc180a

Car
C180 (2006)
Forgive me for what may be a stupid question re tyre size/load rating.

I have a 2006 C180 Kompressor 1.8engine, and need new tyres.

My current tyres I've had on the car since I got a year ago are Pirelli - back 205/55 R16 91V, front 205/55 R16 91H M+S.

When I try to order tyres online though the default options for my car reg are:

FRONT TYRE SIZE REAR TYRE SIZE

195/65R15 H 91 (Same as front tyre)

205/55R16 H 91 (Same as front tyre)

205/55R16 V 89 225/50R16 V 92

225/45R17 V 90 (Same as front tyre)

225/45R17 V 90 245/40R17 V 91

So not what I currently have - when I try to order the tyres simply by size, the back ones are easy to find but (at blackcircles) when I search I can find none of the front size at H (no mention of the M+S?) but simply 205/55 R16 V (91); will they be OK ie have all 4 same at front and back. Why can't I get the original size/load raiting. Any safety etc risk?

Any help appreciated before I go to garage next week instead!

Thanks

'H' rated tyres are for up to 130 mph and 'V' rated tyres are for up to 149 mph.

It's perfectly legal and safe to go up a rating so you can fit 'V' tyres where 'H' is specified.

The 'M+S' stands for Mud and Snow, often called 'winter' tyres.

As for having all 4 the same, that depends on what was the car's original spec was. If you deviate from the original spec, you must tell your insurance company which might then decline cover or charge extra. If the car had staggered wheels originally, then the actual wheels will be different sizes front and back and that determines what size tyres you can fit.

Assuming your car is 'Classic' (as opposed to Sport or Avantgarde), then the original tyres supplied with your car would be 205/55 R16 V (91) on 7J wheels all around.

You can also fit 205/55 R16 W (91) tyres if you choose to (slightly higher speed rating), e.g. if you can find the tyre you want only with W rating but not with V rating.

These are 'Summer' tyres - are you after Winter or All-Weather tyres?.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Very helpful"

Assuming your car is 'Classic' (as opposed to Sport or Avantgarde), then the original tyres supplied with your car would be 205/55 R16 V (91) on 7J wheels all around.

You can also fit 205/55 R16 W (91) tyres if you choose to (slightly higher speed rating), e.g. if you can find the tyre you want only with W rating but not with V rating.

These are 'Summer' tyres - are you after Winter or All-Weather tyres?.

Thanks - and yes it is the 'classic' model, I am looking for all weather tyres. Think I now understand what I am looking for - thanks again!

Last edited:
Me Too

Like 180a says changing from summer to winter in't as straight forward as I thought it was. I've now had 2 different opinions from dealer and 1 from the fitters. I currently run 265/40/R21 OE AMG's from and rear and experience the same issues as 180a so I opt for the manual input which reduces the size available considerably. One of the closest I can find are 295/35/R21 or 265/40/R21 on Nokian WR SUV, would I have any issues with the change?:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom