W124 speed limiter disable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm....now the problem is how do I go about choosing the one I need, and what may be the differences.

Hmm....now the problem is how do I go about choosing the one I need, and what may be the differences.

What is the part number of your ecu?

Do you have the extra 2 pins?

What is your rev limit when in neutral?

What is the part number of your ecu?

Do you have the extra 2 pins?

What is your rev limit when in neutral?

I am going to assume my ECU is the standard USA one, my car is an automatic 94 model manufactured 12/93.

Ill have to test the rev limit when in neutral I know its pretty low.

I am going to assume my ECU is the standard USA one, my car is an automatic 94 model manufactured 12/93.

Ill have to test the rev limit when in neutral I know its pretty low.

The only way to be sure is to check the part number, you'll need to unplug it to check for the extra pin's anyway.

What do extra pins indicate?

Unless you change the gearing getting rid of an any leccy speed limiter is only gonna raise the top speed by what, ~ 5 - 12mph depending on whether it's a 4 or 5 speed? Longer gearing will obviously affect acceleration and might make bugger all difference to top speed. Or even reduce it if the engine doesn't have enough grunt to pull longer gears and you gear it for a theoretical top speed a chunk higher

What do extra pins indicate?

It's to do with the 4000rpm rev limiter.

I fitted an ecu with the pin's to a car that wasn't wired for them, and the ecu think's the car is in park all the time. Swapping back to the normal ecu the engine then rev's fully. I never bothered to check but I would expect they will be tied into the the vss signal somehow.

If you are lucky you may find the original part number label still on your loom, close to the ecu and tight up against the point where the loom passes through the firewall - its a paper label looped on like an airline baggage label.
Steve

If you are lucky you may find the original part number label still on your loom, close to the ecu and tight up against the point where the loom passes through the firewall - its a paper label looped on like an airline baggage label.
Steve

I have a new engine harness, has all the tags still on it.

Well my ECU according to the dealer look up is one have not seen before, PN: 018 545 6732 88

Just looked it up myself in EPC and its A 018 545 67 32 I don't know why the parts guy had those extra two digits.

Hi,
Early, Japanse specification Subaru Imprezzas were limited to 118mph.
This was done by a physical switch in the speedometer.
When the needle reached 118mph a switch contact was made - this told the ECU to back off.
Maybe the US spec. Mercedes used a similar system.
Chees
Steve

Hi,
When the needle reached 118mph a switch contact was made - this told the ECU to back off.
Maybe the US spec. Mercedes used a similar system.
Chees
Steve

That might very well be the case. The UK Benzes are Km or Mph?

Hi,
When the needle reached 118mph a switch contact was made - this told the ECU to back off

This sounds like a system that's designed to be easy to bypass. It requires additional code in the ECU so Subaru might as well have done the whole job electronically

I suspect they knew their target market and the first thing buyers would do would be to modify the car & remove the limiter

Nick Froome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom