W124 Tyre pressure towing Caravan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papeter

My W124 petrol estate will be towing a single axle caravan this weekend and I would like some idea what is the recommended tyre pressure for front and rear. The caravan's max payload will not to exceed 1430 kg although it is likely to be less. The car will have 4 occupants some luggage plus bits and pieces.

I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks

Peter

I would just use the figures listed for a fully loaded car that are under the fuel cap unless someone has more definitive advice.

I would just use the figures listed for a fully loaded car that are under the fuel cap unless someone has more definitive advice.

Thanks for that...that is exactly what other forums say....to use the recommended settings inside the filler cap flap.... 35 front and 46 back (psi) for W124 fully laden.

Thanks for that...that is exactly what other forums say....to use the recommended settings inside the filler cap flap.... 35 front and 46 back (psi) for W124 fully laden.

yep, this is what i do. I always ensure the car tyres are inflated to the fully-loaded values when i tow the caravan - it really helps stability.

also dont forget the tyre pressures on the caravan aswell!

What the others have said - set car pressures to the 'fully loaded' figures, and double-check the caravan tyres for condition (nicks, bulges, cracking, etc. - the tread itself never really wears) and pressure.

I had to buy a special gauge for the caravan tyres as they run at 63 PSI (the car one I had didn't go that high).

I believe the vast majority of caravan accidents are tyre-related.

I had to buy a special gauge for the caravan tyres as they run at 63 PSI (the car one I had didn't go that high)..

i may have to get myself a portable guage that goes high enough for my caravan (40 odd PSI iirc). i always have to stuggle to tow the caravan into a garage forecourt to check the pressure!! :doh:

Some people don't understand that the weight of the caravan is distributed on two tyres so correct rated tyres are required. Some put car tyres on and wonder why they burst. A car at 1600 Kg means 400Kg per tyre but a caravan at 1300Kg means 650 Kg per tyre.

ii always have to stuggle to tow the caravan into a garage forecourt to check the pressure!! :doh:
Unless the garage was very close indeed you'd have to increase the pressure to take account of they tyres not being cold (not easy to get that adjustment right). Under-inflated tyres are one of the biggest causes of blowouts.

I would never personally trust forecourt pressure gauges as they get seriously abused (dropped etc.)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom