• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W202 glove box won't shut or lock

salesac1

Car
'00 W202 Classic Selection (or is it?)
I think the catch that engages with the striker in the glove box may have broken off :( - can anyone advise from the photos below?

If a new lid is needed, anyone care to share their experiences of replacing it?

First photo is with the glove box handle in the closed position, second photo is with the handle held open.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF2200.JPG
    DSCF2200.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF2202.JPG
    DSCF2202.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 13
That latches on to a striker on the roof of the glove box, there are two screws which can allow for adjustment of the striker.
Try an adjustment of the striker first, there may be nothing wrong with the catch in your picture.

To test your handle, with the glove box door open, press a key blade into the jaws of your lock, the should close, pulling the handle should open them again.

Dec

47714d1418994539-w202-glove-box-wont-shut-lock-dscf2200.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dec. A blade in the jaws works as you describe, although they close very reluctantly, a little better after some WD40. And pulling the handle opens them.

However even if I remove the striker and try pushing it into the jaws, as pictured, they don't close around it. It needs something to push in further to make them close.

Do you think there is a problem with the catch?

Attachments

• DSCF2205_1024x768.JPG
    DSCF2205_1024x768.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF2207_1024x768.JPG
    DSCF2207_1024x768.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 8
If a hand held striker is push it into the jaws and the jaws don’t latch on to the striker then it must be the latch within the glove box door that’s the problem, something broken or pushed out of place perhaps.

Alternative solution below.

Dec

3B1CSvQ.jpg

Improvise, adapt overcome eh Dec. Like it :thumb: but glad its not my glove box :D

Amusing and practical, reminds me of Mr Bean.

Dec

[YOUTUBE HD]CCl_KxGLgOA[/YOUTUBE HD]

I have found a less obtrusive solution than on the VW :bannana:.

After removing the lid handle and the other 4 screws from the back and sides of the lid, I saw my problem was the same one described in post 7 of this thread:
Glove compartment door refuses to close - Mercedes-Benz Forum

The retainer ringed in red in the first photo had broken loose, allowing the mechanism to be pushed backwards when coming into contact with the striker. My solution was to glue a small piece of thick felt pad on the back of the inner lid behind the catch - ringed in second photo. When the lid is put back together, the pad holds the catch mechanism in place (as the retainer should), so it activates as normal.

Thanks to Dec :thumb: and all other contributors ;).

Attachments

• DSCF2208_1024x768.JPG
    DSCF2208_1024x768.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2210_1024x768.JPG
    DSCF2210_1024x768.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom