• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W204 handling

I find my W204 handles well enough and I certainly I wouldn't want it any stiffer. It's a ride/handling compromise and for me the bias away from ride towards handling has already gone too far given out poor road surfaces. There are some cars out there that are so stiff they are really rather silly as everyday transport. The worst riding car I've ever experienced was BMW 1 series coupe on run flats. The ride was so bad that the car had to be driven slowly on moderately rough road surfaces which rather defeated the object of a sporty car.

I have the w204 coupe in the amg sport + guise and i really like the way it handles, not to stiff at all and precise when you put it into a corner. When i got it it didnt feel right so set the 4 wheel alignment and it was a night and day difference

Could you get a test drive of another Mercedes similar to yours? Say, look on Ebay or Autotrader for a local one for sale...

That way, you'll have an idea if there's anything wrong/loose with yours. You might even want to buy another one!

There shouldn't be an enormous gap between yours and the Beemer, the reviews always tend to mention they have relatively subtle differences in handling and ride.
I'd feel bad wasting someone's time like that but on second thought this is actually a very good idea

I've had the alignment done and it still feels a bit funny occasionally and I'm beginning to wonder, this wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that I have 3 Michelin Primacy HP tires and one Continental Contisport at the front left. Tire mismatch?

i would expect it to feel quite different cornering.....different makes. And of course, how much life left in tyres would contribute. Whether that would produce the issues you are getting...am unsure. Sort of surprised that the issue of different brands was not brought up when having wheel alignment...not because of the alignment, but because it could contribute to the issues.

Yeah I wouldn't mix tyres on axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom