W205 Hidden Dash Cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
I've always wanted a dash cam but didn't fancy it stuck in the window.

After browsing the eBay I found a cam that I could dismantle to fit the spare camera space in the W205 windscreen. I have the road sign camera/ILS camera one side and a blank plate the other.

Few pics below with a write up and video to follow. Can confirm that the camera fits the space very nicely and has a perfect viewing of the road.

I have run the wire behind the trim and all the way back the 12v socket fuse (445) I think under the boot tray.

Last edited:
Very neat solution and a great idea. Does the camera have wi-fi or can you access the card easily?

Giantvanman said:
Very neat solution and a great idea. Does the camera have wi-fi or can you access the card easily?
I purchased one of these so I can locate card holder on the window/mirror housing, not yet arrived but will picture once it does.

Last edited:
Meant as a compliment rather than any intrinsic business sense…….you could make money with that idea. I have been dragging my heals for a long while now because if the obvious drawback of having an obvious camera that will almost certainly be forgotten about and left in situ so would happily pay for the kind of instal you are doing. Top notch.

Giantvanman said:
Meant as a compliment rather than any intrinsic business sense…….you could make money with that idea. I have been dragging my heals for a long while now because if the obvious drawback of having an obvious camera that will almost certainly be forgotten about and left in situ so would happily pay for the kind of instal you are doing. Top notch.

I'm a bit of OCD when it comes to wires and things stuck in the window etc.

The job is really easy to do, say no longer than 1 hour. Scary bit is pulling the plastic trim off the window of a 4 week old car.... :-0

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I'm a bit of OCD when it comes to wires and things stuck in the window etc.

The job is really easy to do, say no longer than 1 hour. Scary bit is pulling the plastic trim off the window of a 4 week old car.... :-0

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Because you know what you are doing. Us electrical amateurs just stand around and watch the witchcraft. :D

Nice work! I am still confused as to why you can't get a dash cam as an option on new cars. I know in the USA BMW were going to put go-pros in them (not sure if they ever did)
Have you tried the cam inside the space to see if the video is still good quality & not reduced due to lack of light?

dan-mb said:
Nice work! I am still confused as to why you can't get a dash cam as an option on new cars. I know in the USA BMW were going to put go-pros in them (not sure if they ever did) Have you tried the cam inside the space to see if the video is still good quality & not reduced due to lack of light?

Video quality is more than suitable to use should I fall victim to a crash, also the sound is pretty good to. Have not yet tested in the dark but in day light my mod to fit the windscreen has no effect on the video quality.

S205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line - Premium Plus

This all done for what, under £50? And if it was a Mercedes factory option, they'd charge what, £750?!!!!!!

Did you dismantle the camera to fit it into the space? I have the same dash camera bought a few years ago.

Great idea but I think you should buy a better camera. the one you have is ok as a test but quality wise is going to dissapoint. have you looked at the mobius camera? this will be much better IMO.

those cheap cameras will also use poor batteries, I wouldn't want to mount the battery behind glass for fear of it overheating and leaking acid. I advise getting a camera powered by a capacitor.

Last edited:
Hi great idea and would consider trying to fit this on mine when it arrives.

Does anyone know what the spare cavity is for, not sure if the space will be vacant in mine due to optional extras added.

Hi great idea and would consider trying to fit this on mine when it arrives.

Does anyone know what the spare cavity is for, not sure if the space will be vacant in mine due to optional extras added.

I think it is BAS PLUS / technology that uses 2x cameras to monitor the road along with radars. or as OP had stated he had the option for reading the traffic signs fitted for the other camera.

see link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJVzc9Y-6Q

Last edited:
Did you dismantle the camera to fit it into the space? I have the same dash camera bought a few years ago.

Yes i dismantled the camera. Only a few screws. Ideal as this camera is on a ribbon cable so bit of room to locate it away from the main body.

Sent from my Samsung using MBClub UK

Great idea but I think you should buy a better camera. the one you have is ok as a test but quality wise is going to dissapoint. have you looked at the mobius camera? this will be much better IMO.

those cheap cameras will also use poor batteries, I wouldn't want to mount the battery behind glass for fear of it overheating and leaking acid. I advise getting a camera powered by a capacitor.

Yep i do agree. I first wanted to see if this would all fit, but i think i will upgrade later to a mobius as i can get the same ribbon cable set up.

Sent from my Samsung using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom