w208 clk brakes upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Hi guys!
Im looking to upgrade the brakes on my w208 clk and I red somewhere online that someone fitted calipers from s500 w220.
I found a calippers from s600 cl600 v12 w215 w220.
Before I throw in the cash for those calipers wanted to ask here in case if someone ever done something like this.
If so please advise guys and thanks in advance

you can use w203 c32/c55 front calipers with larger 345mm drilled rotors.
problem is you have to put left side caliper on the right side spindle and the other way round with the left side spindle, otherwise bleeding air nipple will point down towards Sydney

w203 AMG cars used same caliper like w220 S-class only difference was AMG logo vs Mercedes logo on calipers

I looked at this route, easy way out is original calipers send to AP racing for upgrading bigger m tec discs and your choice of pad I'm currently on pagid pro which are OK but will be swapping to sparco pro soon.

I looked at this route, easy way out is original calipers send to AP racing for upgrading bigger m tec discs and your choice of pad I'm currently on pagid pro which are OK but will be swapping to sparco pro soon.

Thanks for the info mate
But can you give me more details please on what kind of upgrade they doing and where to source those m tec discs
Cheers

Thanks for the info mate
But can you give me more details please on what kind of upgrade they doing and where to source those m tec discs
Cheers

I can give you the spec of the AP upgrade and the part numbers for the M tec discs but not until next week as I'm on holiday.

If you Google or call mtec they will help they also have an ebay store

AP upgraded my calipers and painted them and think it was about £365 + vat but that was about 5 years ago. Again sure if you call them they will advise.

Will post details next week if you don't have them by then made a massive difference to mine also using racing fluid

The calipers I found on the net are 8 pots from cl600 v12
Do you guys know what kind of mods I would need to do to git them on w208?
Thanks

I can give you the spec of the AP upgrade and the part numbers for the M tec discs but not until next week as I'm on holiday.

If you Google or call mtec they will help they also have an ebay store

AP upgraded my calipers and painted them and think it was about £365 + vat but that was about 5 years ago. Again sure if you call them they will advise.

Will post details next week if you don't have them by then made a massive difference to mine also using racing fluid

Hi mate
Can you give me the details for the upgrade please as I tried to get it directly from them and it doesnt look like they dealing with mercs
Also do you know by any chance what kind of upgrade would I need to fit the 8 pot calipers?
Thanks

you can use w203 c32/c55 front calipers with larger 345mm drilled rotors.
problem is you have to put left side caliper on the right side spindle and the other way round with the left side spindle, otherwise bleeding air nipple will point down towards Sydney

w203 AMG cars used same caliper like w220 S-class only difference was AMG logo vs Mercedes logo on calipers

Thatnks for the info mate
Can I ask you if you know what kind of mods would I need to do to fit the 8 pot calipers on my clk w208?
Cheers

astamir said:
Thatnks for the info mate
Can I ask you if you know what kind of mods would I need to do to fit the 8 pot calipers on my clk w208?
Cheers

You need to firstly check the bolt size of the calipers. I think the w208 uses m12 anchor bolts. 8 piston calipers (mercedes/amg/brembo) use m14 anchor bolts to hold the calipers on the spindles.

I did the 8 piston caliper upgrade on my CL (some pics in profile) and had to use CL600 bi turbo spindles (use m14 bolts). I didn't feel I could take the risk boring out my m12 cl500 bolt holes on a critical part as the brakes. Hope this helps.

i don't remember if front spindle has dust shields for rotors like on the rear axle, if there are dust shields on front axle, dust shield has to be cut to fit the 8 pot caliper.
that's why 4 pot c32/c55 calipers fit perfectly w/o modifications!

I've got front callipers from w209 clk55 that I hope will fit without any big modification also will need them powdercoated.
Any advice for the powdercoating places in or around london please?
Thanks

View attachment 58893

Last edited:
those calipers will fit bolt on.
don't fogget to put the left calip on the right side and vise versa for upper bleed nipple

discs did not look so nice are you buying new discs?

get new AMG stickers on eBay when you have repainted calipers

those calipers will fit bolt on.
don't fogget to put the left calip on the right side and vise versa for upper bleed nipple

discs did not look so nice are you buying new discs?

get new AMG stickers on eBay when you have repainted calipers

Thanks for that tip mate
Yeah by the tame it will be finished I'm planing to get a new discs or to keep the current w208 discs.
Do you know what brake pads and brake fluid shall I go ?
Cheers

I recommend Portersfield R4s brake pads, carbon/kevlar compound.
they are kind on rotor giving a light colour brake dust.
they are also very quiet brake pads

I've had these pads on my car for approx 11 years now, I have driven 50,000km's, still have plenty of meat on my front pads
still haven't swapped my pads yet after 12 years of ownership

ATE Superblue is a great sport fluid

buy pads from USA
ForMyMercedes.com

Last edited:
So I've got the callipers for the front and now needed a help with rear calipers fitment
Does anyone knows what 4pot calipers I can get for the rear please?
I red somewhere the rear calipers from slk55 fits bolt on
Cheers

you can't have 4 pot calipers in front and 4 pot in rear.
dat's dangerous, your car will act like a hiwon on crack!

you need stock calipers or 2 pot in rear

Last edited:
And it will look daft.

Just stick with whatever you have. Rears don't do much.

Id spend it on getting those front ones rebuilt and refurbed they looked battered.

you can't have 4 pot calipers in front and 4 pot in rear.
dat's dangerous, your car will act like a hiwon on crack!

you need stock calipers or 2 pot in rear

Someone was telling me that the 4 pot on the back will reduce the back going up and diving forward on breaking and will reduce the pressure on the front.

And it will look daft.

Just stick with whatever you have. Rears don't do much.

Id spend it on getting those front ones rebuilt and refurbed they looked battered.

Who would you advise for this kind of job also I would want them powder coated
Cheers

have you ever thought about why manufacturers put smaller calipers in the rear and bigger in the front?
same size calipers on all 4 corners will make car losing control in a dangerous situation if you need to brake hard.
car might spin around 360 degrees in a high speed brake, do you really want dat to happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom