W210 SRS Common Fault (and other models)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SJX

Car
MB Car
W210 Common SRS fault. (I am sure similar for other models)

I may be repeating what has been commented on before, I did have a quick look on the site search option and nothing really late popped up so I thought I would post it anyway. It may be of some use.

The service history of my current W210 shows repeat visits over 10 years for this specific SRS problem and I would like to share with you the ins and outs of it all (each visit cost the previous owner £220 for the cure/pleasure – only to have it return again almost every 18 months to 2 years during ownership)

If the red SRS lamp on the dash is accompanied by the orange airbag lamp next to the transmission shifter the fault is commonly connected to the passenger seat sensor. As I imagine ‘Mrs Previous Owner’ to have been a rather ‘cuddly’ passenger, the seat would have always taken a pounding, the flopping into the car was probably the most damaging to the seat related parts I am about to describe.

HOW IT WORKS

Layered within the seat base skin of the passenger seat, there is a complex contact matrix (like a foil printed circuit – looks like an aerial view of a maze) that senses if the seat is occupied (a bum on it) and in most cases with post face-lift models, also auto-senses the proximity of the MB child seat. The former sensor circuit is used to switch off the passenger air bag if the seat is unoccupied, the latter is to used to switch off the passenger air bag when a MB child seat is fitted on the seat. Understanding that the weight may fool the occupancy sensor to thinking an adult bum is on the seat, the child seat detector overrides this and signals the Air Bag Control Module to turn off passenger side airbags. When it does this, the orange Air-Bag off transmission LED illuminates showing the system is disabled and its safe for baby to travel.

On cars pre face lift, without auto child seat detection, the connection from the seat occupancy sensor is connected directly to the Air Bag module and operates just as a simple switch, changing the potential of the signal line to the module when sat on. Post face lift set up is far more complex. There is an electronic box inside the seat base that forms part of the sensor matrix, the ends of the wire ‘maze’ are connected to this and it converts the status of the occupancy detector into a CAN output signal that is piped to the Air Bag control module (as a PWM signal) An over simplistic way to imagine this, is to think of it as a pulse, like a heart beat at a fixed rate. This beat is detected by the ABCM (Air bag control module) when the seat is unoccupied and turns off the air bags on passenger side. Once the seat is sat on, the electronic box in the seat changes the frequency of the pulse which is again detected by the ABCM to turn the passenger bags on. The other function of the electronic box within the seat is to auto-detect the presence of the MB child seat, this is done by using RFID (radio frequency identification) working in the same way as the detection alarms at the doors of shops such as HMV or WHSmiths. The RFID token hidden in the child seat is detected by the seat matrix (antenna) and the electronic box then gives out the all important seat unoccupied/child seat in place PWM CAN signal to the ABCM turning off the passenger bags and illuminating the advisory air bag off light.

HOW TO FIX IT

There is a yellow connector beneath the seat, this houses all the connections to the seat pad sensor and links its signals to the ABCM. It is very common for the wires to and around this connector to break (seat-side) as they are very fine conductors indeed and this is compounded by a slight design flaw, in that the cable that enters the seat base to the matrix is tie-wrapped to a metal seat component which in turn causes a stress fracture along the wire length where fixed. So the first thing to check is the connector and it wires (best to remove the seat) If the break is suspected within the depths of the seat base, then it has to be stripped to repair/replace the parts. (This is where the repeat £220 bill from the agents came from!)

Understanding that this is a life saving safety system and the owner may wish to entrust the correct remedial work to a dealer or do it himself with the correct MB parts, there exists however ways to get around this common failure, it is up to you as a reader/owner to make up your own mind if you wish to follow and act on this information. I would not recommend that any of the following solutions be used if the vehicle is or could be used carrying young infants in the front seat, but worth considering if you are grey and old (past it) like me. I have attached a useful wiring diagram of the SRS components so you can identify what’s what on the connector etc. But if you can’t fathom the circuit, then my polite advice would be to not mess any further!

So you are still with me...

If your car is a pre face lift, with a non auto detect child seat, then the seat pad matrix can be simply linked out on the yellow connector under the seat. This will signal to the system that someone is sitting in the seat all the time and cause the passenger airbag to be permanently ‘live’ whether anyone is sitting in the seat or not! (In my view better than not working at all) This is a great fault finding tip if nothing else, as it proves if the fault lies within the seat pad, as the SRS lamp and air-bag orange lamp on the transmission will extinguish immediately the ignition is turned on (without a star reset!)

A later auto child seat detecting, post face lift W210 model, cannot be linked out in any way sorry! It needs a CAN keep alive signal to the ABCM to signify that the system is fault free (default seat unoccupied signal) so any fault occurring in the wiring or seat matrix resulting in the PWM output failing will deny the function of the passenger airbag by default and raise the SRS dash lamp along with the orange air bag transmission mounted indicator. So strip out the seat and remove the leather etc etc...... OR buy a magic box from China from eBay. This seat sensor emulator box, usually around £15 delivered to your door, provides a seat occupied PWM signal output that once connected, fools the ABCM into thinking all is well and that there is a bum on the passenger seat. There are 3 wires to connect, colour for colour those that exist under the seat Brown, White and Red on the yellow connector. This resets the SRS lamps as before on ignition power, without a star reset.

Just for information the China emulator box contains a programmable PIC chip that emulates exactly the signal that would be given from the MB seat pad matrix. Make sure you get the correct one for your correct model if ordering, as there are a couple of types of ABCM used through model years.

So hopefully this has been useful in explaining how the SRS seat sensor system works and that from this you can get an idea what is ahead of you. I tried to find out information like this and its a little sketchy and hard to place so maybe its of some use in your fault finding, diagnostics or final resulting repair.

SRS Electrical Diagram:

http://www.gr8moments.com/w210/SRS and Seat Sensor Wiring.jpg

Good luck !

So without auto childseat recognition wstripping of the yellow box and soldering of the brown and brown/green wires together will mean permanent airbags on and no warning lights apart from at ignition have I got that right? I dont think I have auto recognition I am not sure if my car is facelift or not ? ? ?

Its a 99 S Plate W210 E240

Last edited:
A 4 ohm resistor accross the terminals/wires you suggest should emulate an early older type seat pad sensor. If you do have auto child seat recognition (should be a sticker on the dash panel revealed when you open the passenger door.) A red circle warning sign, then this will not do it.

If you have a Red, Brown and White wire on the yellow under seat connector then more than likley you have auto-recognition(CAN) and it will be a £15 magic box from ebay that would be required. ;)

S

W210 Common SRS fault. (I am sure similar for other models)

I may be repeating what has been commented on before, I did have a quick look on the site search option and nothing really late popped up so I thought I would post it anyway. It may be of some use.

The service history of my current W210 shows repeat visits over 10 years for this specific SRS problem and I would like to share with you the ins and outs of it all (each visit cost the previous owner £220 for the cure/pleasure – only to have it return again almost every 18 months to 2 years during ownership)

If the red SRS lamp on the dash is accompanied by the orange airbag lamp next to the transmission shifter the fault is commonly connected to the passenger seat sensor. As I imagine ‘Mrs Previous Owner’ to have been a rather ‘cuddly’ passenger, the seat would have always taken a pounding, the flopping into the car was probably the most damaging to the seat related parts I am about to describe.

HOW IT WORKS

Layered within the seat base skin of the passenger seat, there is a complex contact matrix (like a foil printed circuit – looks like an aerial view of a maze) that senses if the seat is occupied (a bum on it) and in most cases with post face-lift models, also auto-senses the proximity of the MB child seat. The former sensor circuit is used to switch off the passenger air bag if the seat is unoccupied, the latter is to used to switch off the passenger air bag when a MB child seat is fitted on the seat. Understanding that the weight may fool the occupancy sensor to thinking an adult bum is on the seat, the child seat detector overrides this and signals the Air Bag Control Module to turn off passenger side airbags. When it does this, the orange Air-Bag off transmission LED illuminates showing the system is disabled and its safe for baby to travel.

On cars pre face lift, without auto child seat detection, the connection from the seat occupancy sensor is connected directly to the Air Bag module and operates just as a simple switch, changing the potential of the signal line to the module when sat on. Post face lift set up is far more complex. There is an electronic box inside the seat base that forms part of the sensor matrix, the ends of the wire ‘maze’ are connected to this and it converts the status of the occupancy detector into a CAN output signal that is piped to the Air Bag control module (as a PWM signal) An over simplistic way to imagine this, is to think of it as a pulse, like a heart beat at a fixed rate. This beat is detected by the ABCM (Air bag control module) when the seat is unoccupied and turns off the air bags on passenger side. Once the seat is sat on, the electronic box in the seat changes the frequency of the pulse which is again detected by the ABCM to turn the passenger bags on. The other function of the electronic box within the seat is to auto-detect the presence of the MB child seat, this is done by using RFID (radio frequency identification) working in the same way as the detection alarms at the doors of shops such as HMV or WHSmiths. The RFID token hidden in the child seat is detected by the seat matrix (antenna) and the electronic box then gives out the all important seat unoccupied/child seat in place PWM CAN signal to the ABCM turning off the passenger bags and illuminating the advisory air bag off light.

HOW TO FIX IT

There is a yellow connector beneath the seat, this houses all the connections to the seat pad sensor and links its signals to the ABCM. It is very common for the wires to and around this connector to break (seat-side) as they are very fine conductors indeed and this is compounded by a slight design flaw, in that the cable that enters the seat base to the matrix is tie-wrapped to a metal seat component which in turn causes a stress fracture along the wire length where fixed. So the first thing to check is the connector and it wires (best to remove the seat) If the break is suspected within the depths of the seat base, then it has to be stripped to repair/replace the parts. (This is where the repeat £220 bill from the agents came from!)

Understanding that this is a life saving safety system and the owner may wish to entrust the correct remedial work to a dealer or do it himself with the correct MB parts, there exists however ways to get around this common failure, it is up to you as a reader/owner to make up your own mind if you wish to follow and act on this information. I would not recommend that any of the following solutions be used if the vehicle is or could be used carrying young infants in the front seat, but worth considering if you are grey and old (past it) like me. I have attached a useful wiring diagram of the SRS components so you can identify what’s what on the connector etc. But if you can’t fathom the circuit, then my polite advice would be to not mess any further!

So you are still with me...

If your car is a pre face lift, with a non auto detect child seat, then the seat pad matrix can be simply linked out on the yellow connector under the seat. This will signal to the system that someone is sitting in the seat all the time and cause the passenger airbag to be permanently ‘live’ whether anyone is sitting in the seat or not! (In my view better than not working at all) This is a great fault finding tip if nothing else, as it proves if the fault lies within the seat pad, as the SRS lamp and air-bag orange lamp on the transmission will extinguish immediately the ignition is turned on (without a star reset!)

A later auto child seat detecting, post face lift W210 model, cannot be linked out in any way sorry! It needs a CAN keep alive signal to the ABCM to signify that the system is fault free (default seat unoccupied signal) so any fault occurring in the wiring or seat matrix resulting in the PWM output failing will deny the function of the passenger airbag by default and raise the SRS dash lamp along with the orange air bag transmission mounted indicator. So strip out the seat and remove the leather etc etc...... OR buy a magic box from China from eBay. This seat sensor emulator box, usually around £15 delivered to your door, provides a seat occupied PWM signal output that once connected, fools the ABCM into thinking all is well and that there is a bum on the passenger seat. There are 3 wires to connect, colour for colour those that exist under the seat Brown, White and Red on the yellow connector. This resets the SRS lamps as before on ignition power, without a star reset.

Just for information the China emulator box contains a programmable PIC chip that emulates exactly the signal that would be given from the MB seat pad matrix. Make sure you get the correct one for your correct model if ordering, as there are a couple of types of ABCM used through model years.

So hopefully this has been useful in explaining how the SRS seat sensor system works and that from this you can get an idea what is ahead of you. I tried to find out information like this and its a little sketchy and hard to place so maybe its of some use in your fault finding, diagnostics or final resulting repair.

SRS Electrical Diagram:

http://www.gr8moments.com/w210/SRS and Seat Sensor Wiring.jpg

Good luck !
Thanks mate! Nice one :)
Do you think you could PM me the lik for the box from China I'd need for my W210 facelift model please?
Thanks hopefully in advance!
Lawrence

Here is a selection, the (£15) one at the top of the list is what I have personal experience of. I dont think that I can PM directly yet, dont I need 30 posts? Anyway being none specific - here is a few devices as listed on an Ebay page.

w210 seat emulator | eBay

Thank you so much, you may just have saved me the £300 (and that was at an indi) that I was just about to pay to have a new seat pad fitted, I had considered trying to fit one myself for a while, but decided against it, I bought a obd2 tool to try and reset the lights and wait to see if they come back, but I didnt check first, my car is a '99 and have since found out that in the UK they didnt fit obd2 for a couple of years after my car.

I cant check my car as its not at home at the mo, my driveway is full and theres no room so the E is at my F-I-L's I am not sure about the childseat This is my car is this the facelift ? https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150917206158515.422291.778183514&type=1&l=09e378b1a4

I had this fault on my Viano 3 cdi. I bought a magic box to simulate the bum on seat. This box came from Germany (Berlin) and cost 79 euro's, and did the job of extinguishing the SRS light, but now I have another problem: the seat-belt warning light is on constantly, together with the audible warning, which seems logical, because the simulator is saying that there is a bum on the seat, so therefore there should be a seat belt around a body. The company in Berlin say they have another simulator which will switch off the seat belt warning, and cost 14+ euro's. I imagine this must be a glorified switch, to indicate that the tab is in the seat belt lock. I wonder if joining the two wires would do the job just as well ?

I bet it will, and should be an easy fix too. I did not have these problems as there is no seatbelt warning system on my model.

Let me know would be interested how you get on.

S

I have just looked under my passenger seat and I have two plugs, one yellow one which has three wires going in:-
Black w Yellow Stripe
Brown w White Stripe
Brown

I also have a Black plug which have two wires coming in :-
Brown
Brown w White stripe

My car is deff a pre facelift

Is anyone able to help on this, I cant see the wiring diagram as it looks like its not available anymore, but my wiring colours don't seem to match going by my first post in this thread.

Anyone ? ? Really need to get this sorting quickly as need to get the car sorted sharpish as it needs to be sold I have a XJ V8 Jag coming on Friday and no room for it, but I cant sell a car with faults like this, any help would be appreciated, I cant contact the OP

Last edited:
If you have 3 wires, simple resistor won't work I assume.

Have you checked the wires up to sensor mat itself? Usually the they are broken in place where they so inside the seat cushion (like said above) and you can solder wires back together or solder new jump wire from connector to sensor mat/pad... remove the seat and check it out! In some cases you'll need the diagnostic device to reset the light.

Photo DIY - SRS Seat Sensor replacement - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Ah I have just been and looked again and I do have a airbag warning inside the passenger door, does that mean that I will need this emulator box that I thought i didn't need ?
The colours still don't match though, the colours on that are white, red and brown, I dont want anything going pop ;)

Seat emulators have been flogged on eBay for some time

I would however advise against tempering with the car's passenger safety systems (even if it is done to ensure that the airbags do work), as your insurer may not be impressed in case of a serious incident.

This is clearly not a manufacturer-approved modification, carried-out by someone who is not qualified to do so, and not declared to the insurer... they'll have a field day.

Last edited:
3-wire system need emulator, 2-wire is ok with resistor. Don't know how the emulator should be connected...

But again, it's 1/2 hour job to take the seat out and check the wires. If you'll need to strip the cushion/sensor pad complete out, it'll take couple of hour longer and it's very useful if you have someone to help stretching the things back on...

Seat emulators have been flogged on eBay for some time

I would however advise against tempering with the car's passenger safety systems (even if it is done to ensure that the airbags do work), as your insurer may not be impressed in case of a serious incident.

This is clearly not a manufacturer-approved modification, carried-out by someone who is not qualified to do so, and not declared to the insurer... they'll have a field day.

Thank you for your reply, however, I currently have a car with no passenger airbag, and I am not prepared to keep paying Mercedes £400+ each time it will fail which is well documented as being sometimes within a year of being replaced on some cars, on a car that is worth around £1500 the seat would soon end up worth more than the car, the emulator replicates the signal the seat pad gives off and last years longer than the pathetic pad manufactured for the car, I will know instantly when it stops working because it will cause the srs light to come on, I would rather have a permanently armed airbag than none at all thanks.

I don't need to be qualified to fit 3 wires together, the car will tell me if is right I just wanted a bit of reassurance that I couldn't do any damage or activate any airbags by putting the wrong wires on, which I have now been told that it will only cause the SRS light to illuminate. I have done much more complex jobs than this in the past with plenty of success, I have however never done any work with Mercedes before so just want to make sure before I did anything. Now much f a field day do you think my passengers solicitors will have when they get severely injured because there is no airbag, more importantly, I couldn't live with the knowledge that I could have done something about it and didn't.

Today I was playing with my clone star, and found an option where I could define whether or not I have sensor mat installed (also options for AKSE system, different manufacturer of sensor mat etc.)... I don't know is this really possible to code to the car (I was in simulation mode, no car connected), and is the airbag ok/light off if this has been done. And I don't know how legal that way is, but it could be worth to investigate?

Icy, SJX's first post was brilliant. Check you have 3 wires to the seat sensor. Just get the correct box from china or Hong Kong. The one I had was well made made with a programmed microcontrollerchip as SJX mentioned. I can give you the link if you want.
It's easy to fit, cut the seat sensor wires, leave the plug and socket connection at the front of the passenger seat alone. Wire it in, mine was correctly colour coded wires. Tape over your soldered connections and tape it up under the seat. On mine, the light has gone out at last after 4 or 5 years. I sort of miss it now. ;=)

Last edited:
i know this thread is a few months old but i too have the srs light on. Child seat recognition sensor fault according to carsoft and i have the 3 wire plug so on the can network.
Is the sensor a dealer only part or is there a aftermarket suppliers and prices would be great. I would like to keep the airbag stock if possible even though the emulator is tempting. Thanks guys.

i know this thread is a few months old but i too have the srs light on. Child seat recognition sensor fault according to carsoft and i have the 3 wire plug so on the can network.
Is the sensor a dealer only part or is there a aftermarket suppliers and prices would be great. I would like to keep the airbag stock if possible even though the emulator is tempting. Thanks guys.

You probably may have checked connectors already(?), but very often fault is in wirings and can be soldered easily. Don't know if aftermarket sensors exist, but generally if you plan DIY this problem, you may proceed by following: Buy new sensor with agreement that you may return it if not needed. Then plug new sensor to connector and see if fault resolves. If not, remove seat and cushions (good instructions available) and check those wires (continuity problem could be hidden inside plastic cover of the wire too). After this if repair cannot be done, you will know for sure that you'll need that sensor, or the emulator...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom