W210 SRS Common Fault (and other models)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i had a quick look at the connector appears ok. Just wanted to see if a local parts supplier had the sensor in stock and cost before i start striping the seat and find its back ordered or out of stock if not repairable. Can you do a resistance check on it as its a form of switch and not a pyrotechnic device like an airbag or pretensioner?

W211 Emulator

Hello everyone.....
Thanks for having me here

My problem is that I have the dreaded Red SRS on my dashboard...

I got a Mercedes E211 Temic emulator and my teenage son decided he would fit it and surprise me......

Well that he did.

I am now left with an emulator and have 3 wires out of it....Red, White and Brown

I have 3 wires going back to the SRS Module. Colours are Brown, Blue&White and Pink&White...

Can anyone one please tell me which wire matches which

Many thanks

Jimmy

I have just bought an emulator for my post face-lift W210 and it doesn't seem to work. I disconnected the battery, cut the wire from the seat sensor, attached the yellow plug onto the emulator (colours matched) and then plugged it in. After reconnecting the battery, the light still comes on the dash as before (along with the ABS/BAS which from what I've read will go out)

Did you do normal lock-to-lock steering wheel etc.?

Lights not always go out without resetting them via diagnosis device.

Or then the problem was not seat sensor, did you read the codes before emulator?

Hi,
ABS/BAS lights being on will be nothing to do with the SRS light being on, with regards to these lights you will have another problem, you did go lock to lock a couple times after the battery was disconnected?
As regard to your emulater, does it disable the passenger airbag always or leave it permanetly on? Not knowing exactly what it does I can only guess that as the car has logged a fault with the SRS system the fault code will have to be erased which should extinguish the warning light.
I take it you had the codes read in the first instance to confirm that it was the occupancy sensor was at fault? if you did,nt and just assumed that it was then the emulator could be working ok and your original fault is still there.

Unbelievable thread this. People all giving advice on how to trick systems that are designed to save people's life's by fitting boxes made in china?

Unbelievable thread this. People all giving advice on how to trick systems that are designed to save people's life's by fitting boxes made in china?

Couldn't agree you more. Through this (and other similar) thread I've tried get people to try repair old sensor, often it can be done with zero investements only couple of hour job.

Like andy above asks, it seems that no one have not confirmed how these emulators are working...

Edit: more more item to check list when buying used car: SRS emulator inder seat yes/no

Last edited:
As regard to your emulater, does it disable the passenger airbag always or leave it permanetly on?
Not knowing exactly what it does I can only guess that as the car has logged a fault with the SRS system the fault code will have to be erased which should extinguish the warning light.

The emulator is designed to enable the SRS if the seat pad is reported as open circuit.
Seat pad SRS warnings don't need resetting.

Thanks for the replies.

I did not have the codes read prior to fitting but the light was at first intermittant....it would come on sometimes when a passenger sat on the seat. Eventually, it stayed on permanently which I concluded was a break in the pad. I have not yet run the car and not turned lock to lock as it is immobile awaiting a hose, so has no coolant.

As for the emulator, I agree with the safety aspect but aren't these emulators designed to ensure the airbag WILL go off in an accident, rather than not go off in their current faulty state? This is my understanding of the one I have bought.

I would understand if people were saying remove the bulb etc but doesnt this 'magic box' still allow the airbag to deploy?

I would prefer to do the proper fix and replacement if necessary, but currently my health does not allow me to take up the task. I have looked at the DIY and I am confident I can do this, but not yet

Last edited:
emulator fitting question

hi

my w210 has the srs light issue ( which goes away when someone is sitting in the passenger seat ) as a temp measure i want to install an emulator but before cutting wires etc I want to be sure the correct one gets spliced.

so does the emulator get connected to the plug on the front of the seat or to the socket side wires behind and under the seat?

sorry if that was a daft question but just want to make sure.

tia

brendan

Under the front of the seat there is a yellow connector, that's the one you want

193344d1220303502-photo-diy-srs-seat-sensor-replacement-seat13.jpg

Just an update on mine, I had to get the fault code cleared with STAR and it has been fine since

Hi
I have an E200 year 1995.
days ago the SRS dash light doesn't go off...
After some reading... most of the times the problem was the child detector or seat detector.
This car doesn't have seat detector, there just one cable (2 wire and not yellow) that connects to the front passenger seat and goes to the seat belt latch...

Whats the propose of that wire?
Where can i start to troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi
I have an E200 year 1995.
days ago the SRS dash light doesn't go off...
After some reading... most of the times the problem was the child detector or seat detector.
This car doesn't have seat detector, there just one cable (2 wire and not yellow) that connects to the front passenger seat and goes to the seat belt latch...

Whats the propose of that wire?
Where can i start to troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance!

Best troubleshooter is STAR, will tell you what the fault is

I believe the pre-facelift's wiring was different and there was a different fix that could be applied if it is the seat pad. If it does turn out to be the pad, the best fix is replacement although admitedly I went down the small box route

thanks for your reply
I don't have any cable... what's the best cheap cable I can buy?
I have a genetic elm obd..

I think this car doesn't have a seat pad... it's possible?
and what are those wires to the seat latch?

thanks for your reply
I don't have any cable... what's the best cheap cable I can buy?
I have a genetic elm obd..

I think this car doesn't have a seat pad... it's possible?
and what are those wires to the seat latch?

What year is your car?

I fitted an emulator tonight...just finished in fact...took all of an hour and twenty minutes.

The seat comes out really easily, four bolts on the floor and one for the seat belt.

Disconnect all plugs and lift seat clear.

I followed the lead from the yellow plug to where it went through a hole in the metal base of the seat. It was the classic cause, the wire was chafed and actually the white wire was completely severed.

I cut the cable tie and managed to cut my finger on the metal base...that's how sharp it is and WHY the sensors fail.

I removed the yellow socket from the carrier, snipped the lead about 4 inches from the socket...and then soldered the emulator to the three wires...white to white, brown to brown and red to red. It was that simple.

I re-installed everything...turned on the ignition...all lights stayed on...but then went off after the test period...hallelujah...it worked.

I have purchased the Ecutools Seat Occupancy Sensor. However the three wires are coloured Brown, Red and White whilst the wires attached to the yellow connector under the passenger seat ar Green/Black, Brown/White and Brown/Grey. Can't download schematic from link supplied, any ideas on which wires on the SOS connect to the yellow connector?

emulator not working?

Hi all,
I've just fitted an emulator to my 2001 E320CDi estate as the SRS light is on and the light flashes on the emulator but the SRS light comes back on!
Anyone had a similar experience? The MOT is due next week DOH!

cheers
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom