W211 E Class SBC Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had my SBC pump replaced on my 53 Plate E270cdi in 2006 under warrantee and had a firmware upgrade done by Mercedes as a recall in 2008. Would this mean that have the 150,000 or 300,000 presses setting? The cars done 145,000 miles, but I am very light on the brake.

It doesn't matter how light you are with the brakes it is a pump that runs even when you "wake" up the car to enter you hear the pump run to prime the accumulator. I guess it has a design shelf life and a counter is a means to ensure that it is safe with lots of margin for error. The dealers must check the pump to see its current performance parameters and if it passes the test reset the counter and off you go again maybe with a reduced number of presses before the next warning. A fail means a new pump with the cost involved. The main issue is safety of course so if a pump is down a bit on operation they don't take chances of a claim and say it needs changing, I would too! After 10 years everything mechanical, spinning round will wear so you end up deciding is it worth the repair cost or do I scrap it as these early cars are getting to the point where the repair will exceed the car value.
Don

Thinking out loud does it need it or is there a fix to by pass it?

I say this as the newer cars don't have it so could it be modified to work without it?

Also unless the second hand part has some sort of guarantee not sure it would be worth the risk?

Thinking out loud does it need it or is there a fix to by pass it?

I say this as the newer cars don't have it so could it be modified to work without it?

Also unless the second hand part has some sort of guarantee not sure it would be worth the risk?

Facelift cars went back to a vacuum servo system, but it's not backward compatible as the body pressing doesn't have enough space for one.

SBC will start writing these cars off.

Yes it is, they are not coded to the car.

Cool,
If mine fails, i will need to get second hand pump (with guarantee) and get it coded to my car, or it is more complicated than looks.

Also been doing some research on web and come across few adds similar to the one bellow

MERCEDES R230 W211 W219 CLS, E, SL ABS ESP SBC FAULT CODE C249F REPAIR RESET SERVICE. IF YOUR DASHBOARD IS SHOWING BRAKE DEFECTIVE VISIT WORKSHOP DUE TO FAULT CODE C249F AND THERE IS MECHANICALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE UNIT THEN WE CAN HELP. NEW UNITS INCLUDING LABOUR COST AROUND 1500+ POUNDS. CALL US TODAY WE CAN REPROGRAM THE EXISTING UNIT FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST. COST 120-190 pounds DEPENDING ON THE BOSCH PART NUMBER. MOBILE SERVICE AVAILABLE FOR ALDERSHOT, ASCOT, BRACKNALL, BEARE GREEN, BYFLEET, CAMBERLEY, COLNBROOK, COBHAM, CHOBHAM, CHIDDINGFOLD, CRANLEIGH, CHARLWOOD, DORKING, EPSOM, EAST HORSLEY, ELSTEAD, FRIMLEY, FLEET, HORLEY, GUILDFORD, CHERTSEY, CROWTHORNE, EALING, FARNHAM, HEATHROW, HOUNSLOW, HARROW, LANGLEY, LONDON, MAIDENHEAD, MARLOW, NEWBURY, READING, SLOUGH, SWINDON, UXBRIDGE, WINDSOR, WOKING, WOKINGHAM, WYCOMBE, BERKSHIRE, WEST BERKSHIRE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, HAMPSHIRE SURREY & WILTSHIRE etc. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ELECTRONIC SOFTWARE REPAIR ONLY.

Yes I've seen these adverts as well. There seem to be people spread all over the country who can do this. Apparently it's possible to reset the counter up to three times, but for most of us, once should be enough for the life of the car.

I have W211 with SBC, when I changed a pressure reservoir where we put new fluid and rear pads I've got this message when push brake pedal which even don't pushes "Reduced braking power, depress pedal fully". what this mean? I can't drive any more, because brake system doesn't work. Must I bleed the brake system, can I do it myself without Star or other dealer program?

I once watched an "Indy" bleed my brakes on a SL500 I had which was SBC..
He connected it to STAR and it was an automated process Via STAR..
I'm not saying its impossible to do it "STARLESS" but there must me a definite technique otherwise you will get the problems you are now having.

If I were you I would book it in with the dealer or if you're lucky enough then to a good Indy that knows what he is doing.

girdejei said:
I have W211 with SBC, when I changed a pressure reservoir where we put new fluid and rear pads I've got this message when push brake pedal which even don't pushes "Reduced braking power, depress pedal fully". what this mean? I can't drive any more, because brake system doesn't work. Must I bleed the brake system, can I do it myself without Star or other dealer program?

You need a Star to do it properly.

Do you need a Star to do it on the W210? I hope not....

Hi all, I'm new to the club, I have had numerous Mercedes and only now having had a merc w211 with problems have I been trawling through the net and forums and decided to finally join the club.
I have a E320 cdi which had sbc, BRAKE SERVICE VISIT WORKSHOP displayed. The brakes worked ok but discs and pads looked worn so naturally replaced them asap, this was done by disabling and then enabling sbc and warning went off for about a day of driving only to return. I contacted drayton wolves to book it in however was told it was very costly to repair. I then trawled the net and found a local guy with a fancy computer and he was able to reset the counter and the brakes feel considerably better and perform faultlessly. Only had this completed today by midlandmileagecorrection, he even went through any and all stored faults on the car and erased all of these which I think we're due to the battery dying on us. This is not an advert but I hope this helps someone as it really helped me.

Limp Mode

Can anyone tell me if this pump can cause the car to go into Limp Mode on heavy acceleration? As when I excelerate quickly, sometimes the car drops into a Limp Mode and will not excelerate as usual, it revs but power is diminished. I have just had gearbox overhauled as there was water in it from my radiator and this also I'm told, could cause the car to go into limp mode. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like the MAF sensor. My W211 has done this for years but only for the first min whilst the engine is stone cold. I've simply adapted my diving to accelerate slowly for the first few min, it's better for the engine anyway. Once there's some temp in the engine the problem vanishes.

Well just got my car back and I tried to cause the Limp Mode to cut in and couldn't, just had a full G/B overhaul £2164, I will monitor for a few weeks and post result, but thanks for your input Simon.

Cool,
If mine fails, i will need to get second hand pump (with guarantee) and get it coded to my car, or it is more complicated than looks.

Also been doing some research on web and come across few adds similar to the one bellow

MERCEDES R230 W211 W219 CLS, E, SL ABS ESP SBC FAULT CODE C249F REPAIR RESET SERVICE. IF YOUR DASHBOARD IS SHOWING BRAKE DEFECTIVE VISIT WORKSHOP DUE TO FAULT CODE C249F AND THERE IS MECHANICALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THE UNIT THEN WE CAN HELP. NEW UNITS INCLUDING LABOUR COST AROUND 1500+ POUNDS. CALL US TODAY WE CAN REPROGRAM THE EXISTING UNIT FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST. COST 120-190 pounds DEPENDING ON THE BOSCH PART NUMBER. MOBILE SERVICE AVAILABLE FOR ALDERSHOT, ASCOT, BRACKNALL, BEARE GREEN, BYFLEET, CAMBERLEY, COLNBROOK, COBHAM, CHOBHAM, CHIDDINGFOLD, CRANLEIGH, CHARLWOOD, DORKING, EPSOM, EAST HORSLEY, ELSTEAD, FRIMLEY, FLEET, HORLEY, GUILDFORD, CHERTSEY, CROWTHORNE, EALING, FARNHAM, HEATHROW, HOUNSLOW, HARROW, LANGLEY, LONDON, MAIDENHEAD, MARLOW, NEWBURY, READING, SLOUGH, SWINDON, UXBRIDGE, WINDSOR, WOKING, WOKINGHAM, WYCOMBE, BERKSHIRE, WEST BERKSHIRE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, HAMPSHIRE SURREY & WILTSHIRE etc. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ELECTRONIC SOFTWARE REPAIR ONLY.[/

Correct me if I am wrong, but the above service is ONLY REPROGRAMMING THE EXISTING UNIT AND SOFWARE REPAIR and not any mechanical repair. Basically this is a diagnostic service which should cost bewteen £20 and £50. Make sure what you are getting for your money!!!!

Last edited:
BasteDs I just replaced mine for £1500 !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom