• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W212 DIY Brake Pad change

stompa

Car
W212 E250 CDI, a238 e53
any guides on changing w212 brake pads?
I need to change the front pads but am am thwarted by the unusual torx looking head on the 4 calliper guide bolts and have found zero how to documents online.
I see someone on a benzworld forum mentioned it was special Mercedes n12 type torx head on the bolt but i've not seen anywhere online to buy a suitable driver.

the calliper looks different to those on other Mercs, so not sure the same procedures apply. For instance, there are 4 bolts connecting the 2 parts of the calliper.

here is a pic of the unusual torx type bolt head:

and a fuzy pic showing the top 2 bolts with the unusual torx type head.

For anyone wanting to know what discs, pads & sensors are required:
Front brake-
Pads A0074207520
Discs A000421121207
Rear brake-
Pads A0074206720
Discs A000423101207
Wear sensors A2115401717

has anyone a how to on how to change the pads on w212?

TIA
Chris

Here are some clearer pictures from an ebay listing:
i think i need to remove the 4 bolts seen at the top to remove the dark grey part of the calliper to then remove the pads from the disc:

On review of the clearer pics, i think i'll be removing the 2 bolts connecting the calliper to the car rather than the 4 bolts connecting the 2 half's of the calliper.

@optimusprime,
i searched the net high and low including youtube before i posted, but thanks for the suggestion.

there are only 8 bolts!
4 x xzn which on reflection should not be removed
2 x mounting bolts that are extremely tight & working room in the wheel bay is tight.
2 x carrier glide bolts with rubber boots.

i'm a bit loathed to undo the rubber booted bolts, but its looking like that is the only route if i can't remove the mounting bolts.

here are some vids with people removing either the mounting bolts or the carrier glide bolts.
note the carrier glide bolts is different on the 212.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aybNqBzQmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WYfV2CK_5g

chris

:DSome Clarity::D
So i didn't open the box for the pads as i was contemplating returning the pads if i couldn't do the job.
Turns out the biggest clue to the job was the 4 new bolts (M8 x 70) in the box :wallbash::wallbash:.

You need to remove the 2 rubber booted bolts. This then allows you to remove the calliper and then you should know how to do the rest!!

some links i found helpful:

answer page with links to the actual merc tech doc listing 3 different types of brakes on the 212 & torques in NM, my callipers where the last ones listed!!

211 brake change which is very close to what i had.
W211 disk and pad change guide - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

seems Merc made this to be as easy & quick as possible to change the front pads.:thumb:
Doesn't take long once you know what to do!!! :bannana:

Don't forget to clean the calliper properly and grease the contact surfaces of the pads where they sit in the calliper with the proper brake grease.

@optimusprime,
Yep, that's what i wrote

You need to remove the 2 rubber booted bolts. This then allows you to remove the caliper and then you should know how to do the rest!!

some links i found helpful:

answer page with links to the actual merc tech doc listing 3 different types of brakes on the 212 & torques in NM, my calipers where the last ones listed!!

Booted/Gaitor they are the only bolts near any rubber on the caliper.
I also included a link to a Mercedes technical PDF onhow to change the pads for my caliper, which i found on this article

I am looking for the brake pads for W212036 E250 CGI (2013 facelift). I have searched at ECP website and they only list up to W212047 2012. Many other sites also have yet to list 212036. Are the brake pads for the 212047 also useable for 212036?

For this car, do we also change the brake wear sensors when we change brake pads?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom