• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Replaced both broken rear springs on the A Class for the MOT tomorrow. Both broke in the usual places. No noise or issues....but it is sitting more level now. I just thought the old springs were getting tired. Only took about 20 minutes a side.... apart from the wheel bolts you dont need to undo a single fixing to replace them!
1000010796.jpg
1000010797.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced both broken rear springs on the A Class for the MOT tomorrow. Both broke in the usual places. No noise or issues....but it is sitting more level now. I just thought the old springs were getting tired. Only took about 20 minutes a side.... apart from the wheel bolts you dont need to undo a single fixing to replace them!
View attachment 161486
View attachment 161487
What sort of crap material do MB use on springs that rust like that? 64 year old 190B still has original springs covered with surface rust.

What sort of crap material do MB use on springs that rust like that? 64 year old 190B still has original springs covered with surface rust.
I think the problem coincides with the banning of cadmium and similar metals in the alloy used to make the springs. Not just a MB problem.

Its not so much the material....its the bad design....the second coil up rests on the tail of the bottom coil which has a sharp edge....so it wears through the paint.....once there is no protection its only a matter of time before the next coil bouncing on it caused failure at that exact point. Exactly the same thing happens on both rear coils of my car....but that had done about 160k miles by then....the A Class has only done about 80....but it is about 18 years old.....so Im not complaining. New coils were only £30.06 delivered for the pair and about an hour of my time to fit!.....so no great issue. If they has just chamfered the very end of the coil instead of just leaving it as a sharp straight cut end it probably would have been fine. The break point is the only serious rust....the rest that looks like rust is a mainly just combination of red mud and evening sun!

Looks good Slarti, but I'm biased as I have done the same 😀

I think the problem coincides with the banning of cadmium and similar metals in the alloy used to make the springs. Not just a MB problem.
It appears to be general trend, had broken springs on Ford Fusion and others
On Ponton there far more wraps and much thicker wire. The total amount wire used per spring as far greater. Less stress?

Great cars. How long have you had your Ponton?

:ttiuwp

Occasionally the coolant level light pops up on one of our cars and then disappears for months. The level looked OK to my untrained eye, and as it doesn’t ever come back on I assumed that it was an error.

It’s happened a couple of times - but not every time - in the last month, most recently yesterday. It popped up immediately when I started the car today so I called in to the main dealer to check and top up.

The level looked OK, so they have run STAR diagnostics in case it was a sensor issue but no fault codes were present/ they have topped it up with just a dash in case it’s especially sensitive to level.

Anyone had something similar with coolant level?

Occasionally the coolant level light pops up on one of our cars and then disappears for months. The level looked OK to my untrained eye, and as it doesn’t ever come back on I assumed that it was an error.

It’s happened a couple of times - but not every time - in the last month, most recently yesterday. It popped up immediately when I started the car today so I called in to the main dealer to check and top up.

The level looked OK, so they have run STAR diagnostics in case it was a sensor issue but no fault codes were present/ they have topped it up with just a dash in case it’s especially sensitive to level.

Anyone had something similar with coolant level?

Sounds like the level sensor on the blink? Not sure whether that would throw an error though :dk:

Spent nearly £1400 on the Vito this week on routine stuff. 4 tyres (£588), service & MOT (£420), road tax (£335).

Only MOT advisory was for a very slight blow in the flexi section of the exhaust at the front ... if/when it gets worse they can cut it out and weld in a repair section. Not too bad for 17 years old and 170k miles.

Today I had my winter tyres fitted to a spare set of rims at the local tyre place, ready to be fitted to the car when the time comes.

The tyres I fitted were a set that the previous owner threw in with the car, except that I replaced the front two because they didn't match each other. And I decided I couldn't be doing with swapping the tyres on the rims every winter and spring, so I bought a spare set of rims from an ebay auction. So even though the two front tyres that I replaced and the set of rims were each something of a bargain, those 'free' winter tyres have actually ended up costing me a fair bit!

The spare rims came complete with tyres that weren't worth keeping, so to get everything to the tyre place in one journey I had four complete wheels and four loose tyres all in the back of the car. I had to fold the rear seats down of course, but I was pleasantly surprised that they all went in - the S212 is really quite cavernous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom