Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good old days , you do wonder about any metal particles during beding in .

I avoid any by the way of magnetic sump plug .

229.53 hasn't been invented yet ;)

Good old days , you do wonder about any metal particles during beding in .

I avoid any by the way of magnetic sump plug .

229.53 hasn't been invented yet ;)
You are right....my bad it's 229.52,,,,I have just checked the sticker on the container.
Yes, that was what the "bedding In" was all about back then.. there was magnetic stud's back then too, just the machining was not as precise then, the filter's not as good and the metals were different composition too. So the "Bedding In was a vital part of the maintenance...maybe even the most important part .., Magnetic drain stud's are the only way to go. Something which escapes attention a lot now with most workshops siphoning the oil out via the dipstick pipe.

Mobil1 is recommended for amg, but Mb put in Castrol on my last service.
And a little tip for those of you who change your own oil, pre soak the oil filter as otherwise for the first few seconds you run the engine, it won’t have any oil till it’s pulled through the filter.

Anyone using Shell Helix in petrol c class w203?

Edit also maybe separate topic but Oil filter am thinking of going Bosch although OEM is Mann perhaps any thoughts?

Anyone using Shell Helix in petrol c class w203?

Edit also maybe separate topic but Oil filter am thinking of going Bosch although OEM is Mann perhaps any thoughts?
Bosch, Hengst, Mann, Mahle/Knecht, are all good.

Thanks for replies re: oil filter... the silence on Shell Helix is deafening!
I had Shell Helix Ultra used by MB dealer on the 180K, I Googled it at the time and it was regarded as one of the top oils, but I obviously have no way of assessing this myself (not having an oil lab at home...).

For what it's worth, I had no issues with the C180K during the 9 years I owned it, but then subsequent oil used was Mobil at PCS in Horndean and MB-branded oil at WG in Harrow, and all seemed fine to me...

I am a bit confused with all the oil specs, I have a C Class 2.2 Diesel automatic Bluetec, W205. I have been offered some Genuine Mercedes oil spec. MB 228.51. My question is this any good for my C Class Diesel ?

I am a bit confused with all the oil specs, I have a C Class 2.2 Diesel automatic Bluetec, W205. I have been offered some Genuine Mercedes oil spec. MB 228.51. My question is this any good for my C Class Diesel ?

Your car needs 229.51 (not 228.51).

There's a newer spec available now, 229.52, and you can use that if you wish, but the older 229.51 is perfectly suited for your car and will be fine as well.

I'd put it and Castrol Edge joint second after my first preference, and Mobil 1 where it belongs - down a toilet.
I've used Mobil 1 for decades and never had any problems, for a time it was the only oil Mercedes used with AMG engines. Not sure why anyone would think it was not one of the best oils to use?

Thanks for replies re: oil filter... the silence on Shell Helix is deafening!
Im using Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 ECTC3 , Theres a few kinds of Shell Helix , this ones MB approved 229.31 and 229.51 ( C180K )

Last edited:
Im using Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 ECTC3 , Theres a few kinds of Shell Helix , this ones MB approved 229.31 and 229.51 ( C180K )
When I checked the shell website it recommended shell helix ultra 5w40 I think for c180k w203... perhaps both have same approvals?

Theres lots of different Helix oils , i was told the ECTC3 was the one to use , as for grade 5W40 was what i was going to use and will do in the Summer , with winter on its way ive stuck with 5W30 for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom