best mph for mpg motorway driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good fuel economy is all about maintaining momentum

Being a pedantic bore I'd subsitute 'maintaining' with 'managing'.

One thing I've also noticed is that if I'm on CC on a long incline then a lot of cars actually speed up - people basically put their foot down to keep their speed up and overdo it.

On gentle inclines the opposite happens ... people who are not using CC slow down without realising they're doing so. Also happens for the slightest bend (e.g. on a motorway)!

There seems to be a good set of opinions on CC, but what about Speed Limiter how do people use that. I much prefer the Limiter as it not only leaves me in control, stops me speeding, ensures I concentrate on speed as well as all the other areas that need my attention.

I tried a distrionic car recently and it certainly would not necessarily have been fuel efficient on its own as the system rightly reacts to the vehicle in front, so depends on how they are driving. However I am a fan of Speed Limiter.

On gentle inclines the opposite happens ... people who are not using CC slow down without realising they're doing so. Also happens for the slightest bend (e.g. on a motorway)!

Or when taking a phone call :devil:

Bends yes. Inclines? no. I find if I'm on CC on long inclines I get passed by people who I previously passed because they often speed up.

I suspect it's 50:50 between those who slow, those who speed, and there's an imperceptible number who manage to do it with no change.

There seems to be a good set of opinions on CC, but what about Speed Limiter how do people use that. I much prefer the Limiter as it not only leaves me in control, stops me speeding, ensures I concentrate on speed as well as all the other areas that need my attention.

I tried a distrionic car recently and it certainly would not necessarily have been fuel efficient on its own as the system rightly reacts to the vehicle in front, so depends on how they are driving. However I am a fan of Speed Limiter.

With CC on long drive on the motorway you don't get an aching leg after 5 hours.

Inclines? no. I find if I'm on CC on long inclines I get passed by people who I previously passed because they often speed up.

I only ever see the opposite! Maybe it's regional, or based on time of day :D

Squabzzz,

I don't do long journeys so much, although I will be driving to Somerset in a few weeks with quite a bit of holiday type driving involved, so I will post again with mpg.
Cheers.

I previously used CC, but over the last year have switched to Speed limiter, I found that with CC you could certainly retardation rather than just the throttle shutting off, even on a very slight incline, so it certainly ain't remotely intelligent.

As good as it gets really in a C63, I've never seen any better, 28.3 mpg and an average of 52 mph.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 10
I previously used CC, but over the last year have switched to Speed limiter, I found that with CC you could certainly retardation rather than just the throttle shutting off, even on a very slight incline, so it certainly ain't remotely intelligent.

That's because its active speed control and you can use it as retardation if entering a 50 zone say, just flick it down 4 times. Simpler versions arn't active and just adjust the throttle. If I'm going down hill I usually flick it off to avoid it braking.

Theres lots of tips on ecomodder forum.

Please don't encourage people to save fuel. :bannana:

It's better that people give up driving than have eco warriors on the roads. :D

I don't think that website actually tells you to sell the car if you can't afford to drive it. :D

2009 C180k blue efficiency manual.

A 60 MPH cruise gave me 54 MPG. I've only had the car for 3 months but so far it's averaged 45 MPG and never dropped below 40 MPG. All verified by tank to tank fills. Driven gently though and no very short runs or traffic congestion.

I think that's remarkable for a petrol engine.

s211 e320 cdi, 58mph i see 54mpg

My CL is more economical at 70 than at 60.

I guess it's because the gear ratios are set so that 5th gear (top) can go all the way to the top speed of 155 and perhaps the lock-up clutch doesn't engage until around the 70 mark.

On a good day I can get 31 mpg.

Yesterday 80 ish miles in my 1998 312D Sprinter at 70-75mph = 31.2 mpg..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom