Bit of a prang - need to source bumper and radiator grille for W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems you're not having much luck these days, what with this coming so soon after the incident with the 2002. Still, glad you're OK, and hopefully both cars will be back to their best before too long.

02 is in the workshop today and should be back on form soon!

I don't think there's anything on the W124 that a quick tug on a jig won't cure. Or a rope attached to a pickup truck...

Nick Froome

Seems you're not having much luck these days, what with this coming so soon after the incident with the 2002. Still, glad you're OK, and hopefully both cars will be back to their best before too long.

Limited chances to encounter Burgundian drainage channels in South Ken, but I really have felt in the last year that it was only a matter of time before the really bad driving I see each day affects me. It was almost so last week, when having braked for a scooter pulling out from a side road, I was astounded to see an M3 pull out at speed from behind him without looking, and had I not been at 10mph after braking, I wouldn't have had a chance. As he was going so fast when turning he almost hit a car coming along from the opposite direction.

Anyway, my car is drivable and the 02 should hopefully be back on the road should the W124 be in the garage for a few days. I long for the day I can keep both at home without the hassle of sorting temporary permits.

Sorry to hear about the 124 Charles & didn't know the 02 had been damaged too. Good luck & keep us informed of their progress.

Just a cracked spoiler, nothing serious on the 02! It is in the garage to sort the crankshaft position sensor that was mounted in a position by the restorer such that it was unbalanced and caused the alternator to work loose over 1000 miles. The spoiler merely needs a bit of glue and a trim to take an inch off.

However, with the W124 you will be pleased to know that after a disaster with a 5 litre tin of white emulsion, which I had left in the car and which opened, to add its entire contents to the boot and my hardly used rucksack, I suddenly realised I'd left 2 boxes of mangoes from Southall and a couple of cases of mixed beers in the back. Visions of a boot frothing with the equivalent of a beer and paint mango lassi were fortunately not realised when I went to check. Phew.

Gutted, I broke a 124 on Friday with a perfect bumper.
Have 2 wings grille etc if you need them

When I was contemplating sorting this myself, as I'd rather not have dealt with insurers, I was perfectly happy thinking about getting parts from all over to save on the cost. I still would, but I was offered a hire car while the work was being done (suddenly I think someone will be profiting a lot from this) which I didn't want, and when I suggested my own body shop instead of their list I got some long spiel, as though Tony Fowkes who are perfectly reputable just too small to get the big insurance contracts would do a terrible job, no guarantees etc. If they make life too difficult, I'm minded to ask for the hire car simply to point out how much extra I am saving them.

I suspect now it will all be done with new parts, which in the scheme of things is a bit of a shame. There must be a better way of handling insurance repairs than this?

Sorry to hear of your woes. I can't add much but hope things get sorted for you sooner rather than later.

When I was contemplating sorting this myself, as I'd rather not have dealt with insurers, I was perfectly happy thinking about getting parts from all over to save on the cost. I still would, but I was offered a hire car while the work was being done (suddenly I think someone will be profiting a lot from this) which I didn't want, and when I suggested my own body shop instead of their list I got some long spiel, as though Tony Fowkes who are perfectly reputable just too small to get the big insurance contracts would do a terrible job, no guarantees etc. If they make life too difficult, I'm minded to ask for the hire car simply to point out how much extra I am saving them.

I suspect now it will all be done with new parts, which in the scheme of things is a bit of a shame. There must be a better way of handling insurance repairs than this?

Technically you can still ask for your car to be repaired where you chose [certainly until recently] as long as the workshop meets certain standards. The insurance companies don't like this as they have screwed their "selected repairers" :doh: to tender the lowest prices for the business. The person who ultimately pays is the owner who gets a basic minimum spec repair in return. They always use the "courtesy car "stick to make you comply. However there is nothing preventing you from recovering the car hire cost as uninsured losses from the other party if they have admitted liability provided you are reasonable in your demands. If you don't require a replacement vehicle then you are in an even sstronger position. Time to get out that policy document and peruse the small print.

Yes - they have accepted my bodyshop of choice, but without much grace. As the other's insurer is paying, my own is not involved (albeit fully informed) and they have offered me the hire car, which I don't want.

Sorry to hear of this Charles. At least the other party had a bit of integrity and admitted liability.
Here's to getting it resolved smoothly.

Yes - they have accepted my bodyshop of choice, but without much grace. As the other's insurer is paying, my own is not involved (albeit fully informed) and they have offered me the hire car, which I don't want.

Have they authorised the repair?

If not it might be prudent to be around when the assessor lands just to make sure it's not written off.

good point Nick, I'll make sure if possible I am. They haven't had any quote yet, so vigilance required.

Do you have an agreed valuation with your insurance company for the 124 Charles (worse, worse case scenario obviously)?

If you are worried re write-off I suggest you print out a few adverts of well-kept W124's to prove your car's value.

If you are worried re write-off I suggest you print out a few adverts of well-kept W124's to prove your car's value.

That's going to be very hard as he's paid top money for it but is a loaded minter so not much chance finding another to compare

I'll load up with examples of ones from Nick Froome or, if I'm feeling vindictive, Charles Ironside....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom