Bit of a prang - need to source bumper and radiator grille for W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The lady driver was very distressed, so I got it in the neck from the ladies who witnessed it.

So she pulls out and is at fault but it's your fault she is distressed?

Not sure I understand their logic...

It was her fault for pulling out but then my fault I couldn't stop in time, apparently, according to the one opinionated bystander, the driver disagreed. I just put it down to the stresses of the moment and a certain female solidarity. I was the model of solicitousness and politeness, which mostly works, and let it all wash over.

Did anyone ever profess to understand female logic :rolleyes::D

Especially in West London - he'll be married and divorced by the lady before he knows what hit him and then be funding a small Chelsea clothes boutique with the settlement :D

Hope it gets sorted Charles - sounds like your having a run of motoring bad luck.

Ade

Thanks Ade!

I thought the purpose of funding boutiques was to keep the ladies who lunch out of the clutches of their personal trainers. The economics fascinate me - until only last year there was a boutique on the Old Brompton Road which sold South American tribal crafts. Now I must have walked past that place for 5 years, on average about twice a day, it was prime retail on a road where the landlord, South Kensington Estates would happily leave shops empty for two years rather than concede lower rates, and I didn't see one customer in there, ever. The stock sort of stayed the same as well, rickety chairs made by coked up Peruvians (a thought suddenly occurs..) and just total tripe of the sort Harry Enfield so convincingly satirises. It must have lost millions. It is now an Italian deli which charges four quid for a croissant and is packed.

Anyway, back to the car, which is absolutely running fine. I don't have an agreed value as being my main car and not garaged, with business use, an ordinary policy was cheaper and much easier to find. I blanched though when I recalled this is the first year I haven't protected my 17 year no claims history!

Did anyone ever profess to understand female logic :rolleyes::D

Yaah, it's what I thought but I was trying to be non-sexist and diplomatic...

:D

Sorry to hear about this Charles. If its any consolation when my son had a 300e-24 that was written off in Spain his insurers - Direct Line - asked Charles Ironside for a price and gave him that. Point them in his direction or Nick Froome or Jonathan Aucott at Avantgarde. Then they will understand the true value of these cars. Like you I dont have an agreed value for my S124 - largely because I have full year EU cover and no one would do both.
On a more gloomy note the bumpers are no longer available from MB ( I was getting some bits when another customer came in asking for a bumper) Yours looks repairable though or else a good secondhand one.
Good luck with this.

It was her fault for pulling out but then my fault I couldn't stop in time, apparently, according to the one opinionated bystander

Sounds familiar. Friend of mine is into classic vehicles and was travelling to an event when an X5 pulled out from a side road at the last minute...even in a modern car it would have been touch-and-go. He braked as hard as possible but the collision was inevitable, and large.

Once retrieved from the now totally wrecked BMW (which did a very good job of protecting her), she was heard to be bleating "But he didn't stop, he should have stopped". The traffic officer kindly pointed out that he was driving a 7.5ton Humber Pig, and they do not stop on a sixpence.

Welcome to reality, my dear :D

Hi charles, sorry to hear about your prang buddy! I went through the same ordeal when some stupid girl decided to floor it into the back of my 124. As the opposing party admitted fault, her insurance company (admiral) gave me a choice of 3 repair centres closest to home. I checked them out but did not feel comfortable having any of them carry out the work. So i mentioned this to the insurance company and said the car is of sentimental value to me, no way will i get it repaired by a random company i am no familiar with and its extra hassle and stress im having to deal with through something which was not my fault at all (bearing in mind they wanted to write my car off!). So i asked charles ironside and he straight away recommended to speak to a guy called Chris at Phirm FX in Alton as he has a very good rep and even Charles uses him too for his cars.

I told the insurance company the best way we can settle this properly is to settle on a cash in lieu deal. They paid me and i got the car done by Chris. Whole heartedly recommend him as he is a top bloke, he has one of the best reps for colour matching too. The car was dropped off, 3 days later the car was done and i saved 40% from what the insurance company paid me to what he charged.

If you want his contact, let me know.

Im using him to get the bottom half of my car colour coded and have the AMG kit put on.

Hope that helps.

Comiserations from myself and Ian too.

As you know I had a little trouble with my facelift 124 Saloon. ie a smouldering ABS lamp wire which went from behind the cluster right through to under the fuse box.
This has car is now declared "fire sale" and has perfect front and rear bumpers.
I am not going through the insurance I will just sell off bits of it ad hok to forum members. The leather interior has been transfered to my new to me saloon.
Someone already has a marker down on the engine and gearbox. But other bits are available.

Thanks John - if we have problems with bumpers, the front one would be great.

It would just need a respray to match your colour. Car is currently silver so it would be easy enough to do.

Come to think about it, my head has just fallen off.

Must be worth a bob or two!

Cars are bits of metal, the only important thing was that both of us were ok. She was a doctor and on her front seat was the tome Male Genital disorders. She was quite shocked but laughed when I said she try and relax to ease the stress, but I had no clue how...

A Porsche Boxter Charles not even a proper Porsche - most rude.

Ane where was JBR when you needed him, off carvaning no doubt.

Charles, if you want Trapperjohns bumper I am coming down to Reading on Saturday in a Camper Van (no comments JBR :D) and could bring it there.

A Porsche Boxter Charles not even a proper Porsche - most rude.

Ane where was JBR when you needed him, off carvaning no doubt.

I bet it costs Porsche rates to fix though. It was probably at its most vulnerable - hitting the front wing from behind just in front of the front tyre, shattering the radiator.

He was probably off having his BMW circumcised for the tow bar....

Ian - that is excellent - I'll call the bodyshop tomorrow to find out if they can source one, but if there is room, I can easily pop to Caversham (my gunsmith is based there, so I could drop something off).

Many thanks everyone, this is all most kind.

Ian - that is excellent - I'll call the bodyshop tomorrow to find out if they can source one, but if there is room, I can easily pop to Caversham (my gunsmith is based there, so I could drop something off).

Many thanks everyone, this is all most kind.

Thomas Turner, perchance? :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom