C32 Failed on emissions- cats required- custom? Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elite_504

Car
W205 C200 SE EE estate
Hmm, MOT failure last friday on emissions (0.4% rather than 0.20 Max. . .) so the guys say I need new Cats. MB price is horrendous.
Anyone know a custom cat supplier, or even after-market for a C32? I'm assuming C320 doesn't fit. . .?

I'm not necessarily terrified by the thought of custom, so long as the work is perfect.

How the heck do you custom cat-back guys get around MOTs. Are you pulling the pipes off every mot?:dk:

I'd get a second opinion!!

Could only be the lambda sensor, alot less £££ than the cats!

Or you could try some 'Cataclean' to bring your emmisions down.

id agree with above, get a 2nd reading at another garage, you might find it passes!

as for CATS, get some high flo cats fitted from a custom exhasut place rather than original mb ones, thats the same money i got quoted for my c36

hmm, been ragging around with some cleaner in (14 mpg!!). I think the lambda is ok as its ok on idle, and the 0.40 is steady as the revs go up.
No fault code showing for lambda either. Is there an easy way to check?
Will STAR tell me if the lambdas work ok?
I was down with Olly at PCS a couple of weeks ago, and there were stored faults for "low cat temperature. . "

All advice for a direction appreciated!

OK alps- where was it you got the ones for the C36 from?
What sorta costs we looking at? Quality and fit ok? Straightforward fit yourself?

OK alps- where was it you got the ones for the C36 from?
What sorta costs we looking at? Quality and fit ok? Straightforward fit yourself?

I actually ended up buying mine from the US pretty cheap from a member on MBworld who ran a "muffler" shop, but you should find most custom exhaust places in the uk should be able to supply some high flo CATS for a good price. no they are not a fit at home job, i ended up taking mine to hayward and Scott in essex who custom made the pipework to enable them to be fitted, i had them on the car for 6 years without a problem , i sold the car 2 years ago and im sure they are still fine.

metal particulate filters is what you need to look for, the ceramics one are the ones that break up.

Take the car for a good continuous run. Make sure the engine and cats are proper warm, take to the garage and re test??

It could help.

Get it on a Star first. The lambda values need to be checked firstly

[sorted]

Retested- with some Forté fuel system cleaner un through, along with a tank of detergent superunleaded and all ok! Passed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom