Careful if you live in Wolverhampton... Attempted theft.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As above its something to do with the thieves being out of sight, plus if it's vandals all they have to do is set fire to the garage within and that's everything more than just the car up in flames

It's actually cheaper in a public car park than it is on the drive and the garage in my postcode!

I've used a Disklok on nearly every car i've owned, can't beat a but of physical security. Couldn't use it on the CLK as the wheel fat a bit 'fat around the back'. It fits the E lovely though.

In my postcode even cheaper if the car is insured to be parked on the street. Most expensive is in a private garage followed by drive.

I guess it is all based on statistics - perhaps very few cars are stolen from the street in my postcode (could it be that the thieves cannot identify which house to break into to get the keys?).

I'm curious now?? I know that with a lot of insurance "where is the vehicle stored overnight" is a mandatory question. I always figured (it seems wrongly) that "garaged" was a good answer.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Apparently the reason for on street parking sometimes working out cheaper than overnight driveway parking is due to key thefts. It's more difficult (in theory) to know which house to break into if the car is parked on the street.

I had a tracker fitted (smartrack protector pro) on my RR a few months ago for insurance purposes and it cost me £185 for the tracker with installation & yearly subscription of £149. They do also offer a lifetime subscription at £399.

However i rarely keep my cars longer than 2-3 years so no real benefit to me.

The great thing about this tracker is that you can check the location of the car on the phone app.

At end of the day i wouldn't worry about it, as long as you take out gap insurance you'll be fully covered. Life's too short to be worrying, just go and enjoy the car..:thumb:

Many thanks, v helpful. I will think about this and what others have said here - the suv is not arriving until mid April.

I always have the keys in the bedroom. About 7 years ago at another address in south london - the scum/chave forced open our front door about 04-oo hrs it was Juny/july so light - we'd always switched on the alarm before bed unless i was drunk and forgeot - but that night it was on, during the week, heard a thud, it was the bif front door boging back on itself, we do not double lock in case of emergency but had chain on they cut the chain as door was easy to open and door slammed back, i though i was dreaming as could hear the warning alarm ie switch off time and then it went off - went down stairs and saw from stair door wide open, as large hallways and light could see all was clear - then we noted the front gates for car entrance about 11 foot wide had been force open ie they could not work out the bi-fold on the larger gate - so our and the cops conclusion was they either cam from my MB, or sons car that he'd left on our drive when he was working away in Dubai, his was a RR sport. Anyway, soon after that we moved. Mistake we made was to have the best looking house in the street. We now live in a semi, nice home, but several detached and other semi's look better than ours ie had more money spent on them and nice cars so hopefully our new suv wont stick ut as much

these crooks, you can't beat them as if you get the better of these scums you may end up in trouble with cops and the scums scummy family and more often then not, scum carrys a weapon.

Having said the above, park in a lit drive, no items on disaply, take keys to bedroom and if you don't want a fully fledge house alarm, go for portable ie place on landing and anyone trying to come up, alarm sounds and most of these scum type do run

Never understood the point of keyless go. Are people that bone idle, they cant be ****d to get a key out of there pocket and stick it in a hole?

Never understood the point of keyless go. Are people that bone idle, they cant be ****d to get a key out of there pocket and stick it in a hole?

There speaks a man who hasn't got it.
If your car had it, you wouldn't be saying that.

I was of a similar mind until I had it on my CL55 and now every car without Keyless feels archaic.

Well I am one of those old fashioned people who is quite happy to click a button on a key fob to enter a car and then stick a key into a little hole on the dash. I can't really describe it as hard work as it has never given me calluses and I feel the car is less likely to be stolen by a man using a laptop.

Years ago thieves would take seconds to break into cars armed with a screwdriver and then knock out the ignition but like car drivers looking for the easy life they don't even have to do that any more as car manufactures have made stealing some cars simple in the quest to remove that tiresome task of pressing a button on a key fob.

Given the choice of stolen car or pressing a key fob I would always choose the added security of a key fob.

Last edited:
There speaks a man who hasn't got it.
If your car had it, you wouldn't be saying that.

I actively seeked a W211 without keyless go due to potential costs of the handles.

My wife's car has it and I can't say I would give it a seconds thought if did not have it. Lets face it, it's hardly a massive time saver or hardship using the traditional entry method.

I actively seeked a W211 without keyless go due to potential costs of the handles.

My wife's car has it and I can't say I would give it a seconds thought if did not have it. Lets face it, it's hardly a massive time saver or hardship using the traditional entry method.

I've had two BMW with keyless and never did I use it once. Still put the key in the slot

I remember when all cars came with keyless. Quick fiddle under the dash, touch the ignition wires together and off then Bob's your mother's brother.

Easiest solution for me, if I could be ****d, is to clip the car keys to one of the dogs collars every night. Unless they came armed with a sausage or lump of cheese, there's no way they'd get access to them! ;) ;)

Well I always take my keys up stairs to the bedroom and welcome them to climb the stairs with the alarm going I have just what they are looking for waiting for them,with regard these ultra new cars where the key is being cloned from outside the property I would suggest just putting the keys into a plastic box with some tin foil then they cannot get the code,or even a crisp packet,but that might be prone to be thrown out with the rubbish

Couldn't agree more. I think it's rather pathetic that marketing is driving unnecessary complexity in our cars. And that's without the fact that they seem to have designed in a way for the car to be stolen.

To prevent the scam that amplifies the signal from the key inside the house surely all you have to do is pop the key inside a metal box or safe which would act as a Faraday cage. A bit of a pain but better than losing the car.
I bought small pouch on Amazon that "disables" the key. I tested it and was not able to open the car when key was in the pouch. I don't have to worry that someone will open the car and steal my stuff or try to take the car.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QIEX04K/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

I will be happy to go back to car without keyless go. I will actively seek such car if there is a choice.

In my postcode even cheaper if the car is insured to be parked on the street. Most expensive is in a private garage followed by drive.

I guess it is all based on statistics - perhaps very few cars are stolen from the street in my postcode (could it be that the thieves cannot identify which house to break into to get the keys?).

I can confirm, it's the same in my current and future post code (SW London). So right now car is officialy parked on a street, because I was told residential car park is like a street if anyone can access it. Unfortunaly my new place doesn't have street parking so I will have to pay extra for driveway.

Last edited:
When I lived in East London (Isle of Dogs) now there's a great place name. I was advised by the local Police that best way to avoid car theft was: wait for it:

Leave you car unlocked with the windows open and a spare wallet lying on the passenger seat.

The local car thieves immediately assume it is a Police bait car and leave well alone.

On a more serious note. Here in Kent there have been several well reported incidents of "stolen with keys" where the thieves have gone upstairs to get the keys and have woken the owners and threatened them. Waking up to find a gang of heavies in your bedroom is not the way forward no matter how tough you feel just now. Leaving he keys where they can be easily found is far safer. Think about it? Once they have broken to get your keys, they have demonstrated that they are not afraid of you. They accept the risk that they may well be disturbed. They are now at the point of no return. Giving you a clump, maybe fair enough to you. Giving your loved ones a clump when you could have left the keys down stairs? I know where my keys are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom