DIY Air-Con Condenser & Receiver Drier Change on W210 E55??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
My air con is not working and was told that the condenser has a hole, so allowing gas to excape (was told this last time it was in at indie for something else) - haven't changed until now as not been necessary - but am off to France on a long drive and would prefer to stay cool on the journey!

Is the change of these parts (condender & receiver/drier) something I can attempt myself??

I'd then take it to be gassed after by a pro.

I'm happy I can get to the condenser throught he front of the car, but need pointers as to how to access the receiver/drier..........though the wheel well maybe (?) as it seems to be behind headlight, or can I get to it once I get condenser out?

Is this something that I should or shouldn't attempt myself??

Any thoughts/tips/ideas are appreciated!

Hi I did mine on my w202 komppressor and was relatively straight foward! Had to unbolt the two fan assemblys in front of the condenser and just lift out of the way and also lift coolant radiator and push back towards the engine but leaving it still plumbed in and also slam panel above the radiator had to be removed! Then just remove pipe fittings and its out. Check o rings to see if they need replacing too. Drier was a simple case of undo pipes ind one bolt from top of engine bay and it just lifted out. I also had to swap sensor from old drier to the new one. Worked perfect until my seals in the A/C compressor started leaking so need a new compressor. Hope you sort it. Carl.

Hi I did mine on my w202 komppressor and was relatively straight foward! Had to unbolt the two fan assemblys in front of the condenser and just lift out of the way and also lift coolant radiator and push back towards the engine but leaving it still plumbed in and also slam panel above the radiator had to be removed! Then just remove pipe fittings and its out. Check o rings to see if they need replacing too. Drier was a simple case of undo pipes ind one bolt from top of engine bay and it just lifted out. I also had to swap sensor from old drier to the new one. Worked perfect until my seals in the A/C compressor started leaking so need a new compressor. Hope you sort it. Carl.

Thanks Carl

I hadn't thought about o rings - I'm assuming they are an e-bay item??
The rest of it doesn't phase me too much, but glad to hear somebody has done a similar one without too much hassle!

Not sure about ebay but I know there like silicon not rubber! Mine were green in colour and in fair condition so didn't replace even though one had a slight flat one side but all was ok! Just smear with a little grease on assembly to seat them right. Not sure if yours is exactly the same but can't be much difference. Also my replacement condenser was made by nissins if that helps. Good luck.

Not sure about ebay but I know there like silicon not rubber! Mine were green in colour and in fair condition so didn't replace even though one had a slight flat one side but all was ok! Just smear with a little grease on assembly to seat them right. Not sure if yours is exactly the same but can't be much difference. Also my replacement condenser was made by nissins if that helps. Good luck.

Thanks , will take it all apart and see how they look.
Got a used condenser from Andy's Autobarn, so an original (but used) part, so hope it will be ok. New receiver/drier was from GSF car parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom