ESP Defective Warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sonicboy

Car
CLK320 (W209)
Hi Everyone - help needed.

Just had to replace the driver's airbag on a CLK320 (W209). Getting an "ESP Defective - Visit Workshop" warning on the dash, and ESP does appear to be disabled (can get the wheels to spin with no yellow light/decrease in power).

What else does this effect (ABS/BAS?), and any suggestions as to problem/solution.

many thanks

Turn the steering whhel lock to lock a few times.

hi - thanks for the advice - off to try it right now and will let you know if it cures the problem!

hi again - no luck i'm afraid, still getting the error message

some background:
original fault was horn sounding randomly when wheel turned to full lock - had horn/paddle controls disabled for a week or so whilst waiting for new airbag (got ESp and SRS errors during this time, which made sense to me) - new airbag now fitted, horn problem resolved, but problem as above

Low battery voltage? ESP is designed to shut down if the voltage goes below a certain level (around 10v I think).

Battery voltage can be checked from the instrument cluster using 'Secret Menu' on some models.

Last edited:
just had a new battery fitted, or would this be a wiring fault causing low voltage?

thanks for your help

ESP and ABS are related, as they depend on the ABS sensors and related wheel speed.
If the problem is not low battery voltage, then check out your ABS sensors and ABS rings.
I'm not sure you can do it easily without getting the car plugged in.
Check also if there any problems with the engine management light or engine management codes.
These functions are also very dependent of the inputs from the wheel-speed sensors.

Hello,

I just had the roll bar link arms, wish bone & track rod ends changed on both front sides. Then whilst traveling home I got this dreaded ESP Defective!!!
I also got all my tracking done & the car is runny straight. Any advice would be VERY Much Appreciated...
I will also check to see

53clk240 said:
Hello,

I just had the roll bar link arms, wish bone & track rod ends changed on both front sides. Then whilst traveling home I got this dreaded ESP Defective!!!
I also got all my tracking done & the car is runny straight. Any advice would be VERY Much Appreciated...
I will also check to see the battery voltage aswel.

Had same errors adage on my eclass ended up being the yaw angle sensor on steering wheel input (to know what lock you have on) workshop should be able to read fault code to tell which sensor is faulty

I think your right in sayin I need to take it to the work shop to take a look at which sensor is bad!! Thanks for the reply and ill post back with update..

ESP on my car was the result of a brake pedal travel sensor. When I started the car, no lights, when I pulled away and applied the brakes, ESP came on.

With my car after I had all them bits changed I took the car for a test drive and the weather was wet, so when I got a wheel spin for the very first time ever I thought nothing of it just a bit strange. Car ran with no problem gave the thumbs up to my mechanic and I was on my way then bout 20mins into the drive ESP light just came on and has not budged since....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom