Formula One 2018 - General Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you’re thinking of race wins, MS has 91, LH is second: In pole sits, though, LH is already way past Schumacher's total, and easily tops the list.

Arrrr, sorry, yes.

'My Bad' (As da kids say :D)

Ocon gets 3 place penalty so Seb will start 8th. Ferrari did get it horribly wrong but they did have a chance which Seb lost. Pressure?
Another pitwall fopar followed by on-track mistakes from both Kimi and Seb. Not the best way to go about qualifying.

VB and MV should continue their fight from the last couple of races :D
If it stays dry (as predicted) then MB should have the advantage as they start on the Soft tyre provided Max doesn't send one up the inside. Bottas needs a good finish this year and a better one next year otherwise I can see Ocon taking his seat for 2019.

If it stays dry (as predicted) then MB should have the advantage as they start on the Soft tyre provided Max doesn't send one up the inside. Bottas needs a good finish this year and a better one next year otherwise I can see Ocon taking his seat for 2020.
FIFY... :)

Blast from the past:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Our first time at Silverstone in 2004. Kimi got pole for us. Turn it to max volume and listen to the screaming!!!

Listen to this @ 46s in.

Mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeooooowwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

And who remembers the 2007 McLaren qually Stacking scandle???

VB came out on top of this one today, although MV had fun with both the Ferrari's today.

I’d love to see Mad Max in a merc. Bottas seems to have a physiological barrier with Hamilton that he can’t get through. I know there’s team orders, but it seems more than that to me. Mad Max has no barriers apart from the ones he hits, and there’d be sparks flying if he got his ass in a Mercedes.

Last edited:
Let's fly a kite !!

SV's Ferrari contract terminated at end of season and Ferrari tempt Alonso back with a 12 month contract.

After this season's performance, who would offer SV a seat for 2019 - Williams??

Don't think for a moment it will happen, but who knows??

and there’d be sparks flying if he got his ass in a Mercedes.

Which is why Mercedes and Ferrari are probably not regretting that RB stuck their neck out and spent over the odds to lock in MV.

I think SV's attempted overtake on MV was actually MV's fault even if it wasn't. What do I mean? Well MV has a deserved reputation of being an ar**h*l* on track - so it means that those who want to pass the perceived risk is high - you might as well go in hard rather than soft.

So in the heat of the moment SV committed all-in because if he pussyfooted then MV would do something silly anyawa - provavly moving in the brakign zone or barging him off. So why waste time - get on with it, take the iniativem, and accept the 50:50. It went against him. Equally it might have resulted in a successful pass possibly with MV bumped and spinning.

That doesn't make SV right. It just means that MV is in 'reap what you sow' territory.

Seb's move on Max into spoon was clumsy and more importantly unnecessary due to Max's penalty. With their tyre strategy, Ferrari could have won the race today but for Seb's error. Two critical driving errors from Seb this weekend cost him and Ferrari dear.

It was a desperate move by SV by all accounts, but ultimately it was MV's wholly predictable decision for it to result in contact. SV setting the fastest lap only emphasised how spectacularly he threw away his chances today. His 4 WDC's some what flatter his recent driving.

It was a good for LH and Mercedes.

Seb was clumsy into Spoon and yes he didn't need to do it as Max had a penalty. It's a mistake and he's making too many of them these days. One thing I did agree with though in Seb's post race interview was when he was questioned about Max's and Kimi's incident, he said why should everyone else (kimi) slow down or move out of the way?

One thing I did agree with though in Seb's post race interview was when he was questioned about Max's and Kimi's incident, he said why should everyone else (kimi) slow down or move out of the way?
I am of the view that strong action should have been taken against Max Verstappen last year for his unsafe multiple moves under braking. Unfortunately, it wasn't and the genie is very much out of the bottle as evidenced by his willingness to engage in overly aggressive behaviour and his mind-set that "it's never my fault".

Vettel wasn't just racing Verstappen though, his real race was with Bottas and Hamilton. Waiting for Verstappen to make a mistake or to pit was allowing the other two to disappear down the road.

I am of the view that strong action should have been taken against Max Verstappen last year for his unsafe multiple moves under braking. Unfortunately, it wasn't and the genie is very much out of the bottle as evidenced by his willingness to engage in overly aggressive behaviour and his mind-set that "it's never my fault".

Totally agree with you.

For the times when MV doesn't collide with other cars is because they simply don't want a DNF.

Vettel wasn't just racing Verstappen though, his real race was with Bottas and Hamilton. Waiting for Verstappen to make a mistake or to pit was allowing the other two to disappear down the road.
Given how close Max ended up to Bottas, with a little more patience Seb on the soft tyres and the five second penalty may well been able put some real pressure on the Mercedes boys.

As it is, Seb needed to avoid putting himself into a position where he effectively needed help from the other driver. He has also forgotten (assuming that he ever knew), how to focus on the bigger picture. He lost sight of the driver's championship several races ago, a clear example being Hockenheim. He has always been a bit fragile though when the chips are down. Put him out in front in a fast car and he is very difficult to catch and pass, hence his championship wins with Red Bull. When he's needed to race for it, he makes errors.

Max needs to properly have his balls chewed by the stewards and by the RBR principles (like that's going to happen), so as to better understand that he should not be routinely making contact with the cars around him. There's no doubt he is a very fast and talented driver, but I really wonder if he is actually smart enough to become a true leg-end of the sport. He doesn't seem to understand that contact with others, genuinely risks the lives of himself and others and compromises his own chances in a race.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom