• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How far can safety camera vans see

I have answered it several times. there is no need to take money from people as it does not stop speeding. Give the points and the ban, but why the cash?

But you haven't answered my question; you're going in circles. You said punish other than a fine. What does that achieve? Going to prison under conviction for murder doesn't stop murders happening - they seem to happen every week.

So, lets go back to basics. You speed. You receive a punishment that is not a fine. What has that achieved?

The "how" is the bit they don't show on the TV. And thats why they get caught (in their new car, which gets seized too :D ).

It works very well. Its not perfect, but it is very good.

:o

See..we knew it was unfair.
The Police have these tools available to them and use them to their advantage to actually stop crime and catch the perpetrators, then they add insult to injury by not revealing all their methods so the 'crims' keep being caught and the 'bleeding hearts' then bang on about civil rights and how it's all so unfair.

Life's a beach..

Can anyone name a legal activity which kills around 3000 people and seriously injures many many more each year? Even our armed forces with their guns, missiles and bombs have not done that since WW2.

Might just explain why driving is so heavily regulated.

Drinking Alchohol :D ... next!

Drinking Alchohol :D ... next!

Although that may be so, one is unlikely to kill or injure someone else by drinking alchohol, driving a vehicle has that real possibility.

You don't need a licence to drink but do to drive. The licence has certain conditions attached to it's use, the Police/cameras/etc simply enforce the rules that we have agreed to abide by.
If we don't like the rules don't drive.

But you haven't answered my question; you're going in circles. You said punish other than a fine. What does that achieve? Going to prison under conviction for murder doesn't stop murders happening - they seem to happen every week.

So, lets go back to basics. You speed. You receive a punishment that is not a fine. What has that achieved?

It has the achievement of educating people that the idea about enforcement is not about money. Gives a whole lot more meaning to the public in their aid to law enforcemnt as well as well as helping in neighborhood policing.

I know many people who have not bothered to even report offences because they have this psyche that nothing will be done where money is not involved (I am not saying it is true) but that is the mentality a lot of people carry with them in my area and it does not help in neighbourhood policing especially when they see millions being put into road and camera enforcement and less doen in other areas.
do not forget a lot of older people have no cars and are more worried about yobs, drunks and vandals.

personally i would be more inclined to report a motoring offence or help and assist if fines were not taken , but that is just me.
everyman to his own and as scumbag said we need to stay on topic

ANPR is just a revenue rasing exercise, nothing more, nothing less, as are the speed cameras.

It's about time as a nation we woke up to this.

Raising? Erm, no. ANPR is an extremely expensive, but effective, resource. The only "Income" that I can see is fines from offences such as having no insurance. This goes to central Government. Think of the average ANPR operation dishing out, say, 20 tickets at £100 a piece. Taking into account non-payment the net income is well under £2000. Which is hardly going to cover the costs involved!

To suggest that the motivation is revenue is wrong. It is an intelligence-led policing tool, used proactively in response to local demand.

Although that may be so, one is unlikely to kill or injure someone else by drinking alchohol, driving a vehicle has that real possibility.

You don't need a licence to drink but do to drive. The licence has certain conditions attached to it's use, the Police/cameras/etc simply enforce the rules that we have agreed to abide by.
If we don't like the rules don't drive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4903294.stm

i beg to differ

Question: does Mr Criminal man just put a cloned plate on his motor, changing regularly? That's the only thing I get confused about when it comes to ANPR

Yes, ANPR can deal with that (again, its not likely to appear on the TV how).

Yes, ANPR can deal with that (again, its not likely to appear on the TV how).

Curious ;) When I went out with police-person man we talked about the ANPR equipment installed in his motor, but he said it was only as good as the database installed (for there were many) but if these aren't updated quick enough, I guess it can't keep up :confused:

true true. But useless if it is on cloned plates.
Saying that i still support ANPR 100%

To a certain extent, you're entirely right about cloned plates. If done WELL (ie same model, variant, age, plausible keeper reasonably local etc) then it's very hard to detect.

But essentially PNC is an information-based tool, which comes from the officers on the ground. Reasonably pro-active officers will always know what their local crims are driving, and will update the database accordingly. At some suitable juncture their cars will be stopped and looked at closely. Particularly if they are a person of "Local interest" :)

I was just thinking chomper (sorry if it is a silly question) but if several cloned plates are used, say one for each crime e.g profesional criminals does it impact on the rightful car owner and by how much

And if caught the perp is prosecuted for assault, which generally carries harsher penalties than driving issues.

I beg to differ again. If we go by street crime uk.night cops e.t.c majority usually get a warning or let out in the morning or bound over to keep the peace / suspended sentence.
I should stop watching TV and reading the WAIL:D

Last edited:
I beg to differ again. If we go by street crime uk.night cops e.t.c majority usually get a warning or let out in the morning or bound over to keep the peace / suspended sentence

Have you got statistics for that.?

A suspended sentance gives one a criminal record, motoring offences generally do not.
One is NOT a criminal after being prossecuted for motoring offences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom