HOW TO: change the automatic gerbox oil and flush on a 722.6 'box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Connect the Star and bring up the gearbox temp.

DSCF4993.jpg

Fill up the gearbox with another 3L of fluid. Put the Car in "D" with the parking brake on and allow to warm up. It can take a while! 80C is the temp to check the oil at.
DSCF4991.jpg

Dip the sump with the dipstick with the gearbox in "N" or "P".

DSCF4994.jpg

DSCF5000.jpg

The highest level is the 80c one. It must be up there for the level to be correct.
You may need to top it up. You will need between 6-7L in total. Just add a small amount at a time.

Re-set the gearbox adaptations with the Star too. This will help you get smooth gear changes.

I just tried to edit it. Too late. It should go in after cleaning the sump pan. Can the mods please edit it.

And that Olly, is why you're the man.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the perfect DIY explanation. Apart from the Star, it seems as easy task if you have the lift, tools and way to clean everything.
This thread should be a sticky :thumb:

It just goes to show that with the right tools most jobs are quite easy.
Without that ramp/ lifter I could imagine trying to do same job by crawling under the car.
Well done

Just remember safety is first. Wear gloves and be carefult as the oil is HOT. It will blister your skin.

The V6's and V8's are the cars most likely to have seized sump pan bolts as the exhaust runs close to the 'box.

Also this should only be done if you have the right tools and you have the right experiance and confidence. A Star or other diag equipment is really a must to get the temp 100% perfect.

Oh and thanks for the lend of the 210.

Great How To. :thumb:

I had mine changed yesterday (although I've yet to collect the car and drive it).

Smart looking W210 Olly! :D

Great howto, interesting to see it done by a pro, to be honest for the money saved (and the hassle!) I would prefer to get it done and know its done RIGHT!

how often should you do this? what sort of cost would you be looking at?

1. Brilliant write up
2. Not as easy as it seems to the layman unless you have all the right bits - inc. STAR
3. Looks like it is a job worth having done by the pros

Hi olly, a very informative thread. Would the procedure be the same on a w124. The reason i ask is i have a leak somewhere and was going to replace the sump gasket and filter.Is star required purely for temperature readings.

ANDY.

You can tell he's done that many times, he can do it with his eyes closed :D

DSCF4797.jpg
[/QUOTE]

^ I thought that as soon as I saw the picture :)

Great write up, question....

When / What millage should it be changed on my ML (ML350) and how much as a guide should it cost?

Thanks

Every 40,000. I do it for £165

Olly, any reason why some sump pans have magnets in and some don't?

They are there to collect little metal fragments as you know. In the older cars they were never put in the sump from factory but as far as i know they do now.

I know face-lifted W220's or the very last ones came with a magnet in the sump already and so presume all the cars after that came also come with a magnet.

Good one Olly, thanks.
Obviously not a commercial proposition but I had the time to leave the 'box draining while I got on with other things. After four days of gentle draining I got 5.8ltrs from the gearbox drain plug. The TQ must slowly drain back to the gearbox if left to it's own devices.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom