HOWTO: Retrofit facelift wheel/cluster to pre-facelift W210/W208

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a clk.Will I have a problem(fuel gauge or other) getting a cluster of a w210, or should I stick onto a w208 model?Thanks again!

You def need to stick with a w208 cluster, due to sensors in the fuel tank being different, it will read backwards and incorrectly if you use a w210

Ok...so to revive an old thread I have solved the problem. In w202 cars you must install a w208 cluster not from the CLK55...it has to be from a 6 cylinder
All clusters are the same internally the only difference is settings as far as I know, so the cluster can be set as a 4-cylinder model even if it was destined for a CLK55 at manufacture.

I have a spare one I could test I suppose!

Programme New IC

IMPORTANT WARNING

Do not drive more than 200Km before getting the new cluster Programmed to the car, as this will lock the new cluster without Any mileage showing and MB will not be able to set the mileage.

It took me 30 mins. to persuade MB to undertake this work as they said it is impossible And can’t be done, I had to provide a written waiver before they would do this work. I hope you have better luck than me.

MB will need to programme the following:-
-Activate navigation menu
-Set tank capacity – mine was 80 L (tank with ski hole = 60L)
-Change Can ID – This is important
-Set Engine capacity
-Set to Manual transmiossion
-Set for automatic climate control – if your has it
-Set country code as last cluster

Faults

It is possible that you may get an ABS and/or ESP fault after completion, in order to reset this you will need to turn the steering wheel fully left then fully right twice. This will reset these two errors.

If you have an SRS fault this is because you have turned on the ignition with the airbag disconnected, MB can reset this for you when they do the programming.

THE END!

Hello
My english is not good enought, but I anderstand almost all except of this post. With help of what I can programme my new IC ? How to ?

I dont have this model car, but just want to say to the OP well done mate, fantastic write up. text book.
Anyone who tries to document a lengthy detailed process will appreciate what's involved. What you've done is blunt factual and very concise detail.

:thumb:

a W210 cluster should be fine in a CLK if you get it reprogrammed correctly.

The MB stealer where i took mine couldnt do it but charged me about £200 anyway as they "tried". I sent it to the netherlands where it was programmed CORRECTLY and it was perfect after that.

a W210 cluster should be fine in a CLK if you get it reprogrammed correctly.

The MB stealer where i took mine couldnt do it but charged me about £200 anyway as they "tried". I sent it to the netherlands where it was programmed CORRECTLY and it was perfect after that.

I thought the sizes of the clusters were different and therefore can't be a straight swap?

I ask because the possiblity of adding Comand along with the cluster in a W202 is a possibility thanks to Shude, however I think he was told to use the cluster from a CLK as opposed to a W210 as it was smaller.

The clk cluster is surely bigger sticks out from the end sides

I swapped w210 multifunktion cluster and steering wheel to w202 mercedes. All worked fine till i a ordered alpine Kce-868B adaptor to get all buttons to work with my alpine radio.
Now after starting radio makes mute on, mute off, mute on, mute off-effekt and moves volume down on its own all the time. BUT if i put lights on all works fine.
Where is my problem? Why everything works fine when light on?

who are programming clusters ?How to ? What is necessary ?
You need mb star tester with developer mode settings.
Can-id setting must be swapped to older and tank settings to work with your car. There are many settings you can swap.

clusters are the same size between W210 and W208.

The one i fitted in my W208 was fitted to a W210 previously (bought from a member on here iirc), but came originally from a CLK55 AMG donor.

anyone with STAR can code the cluster AFAIK.

Does anyone know if it is possible to ONLY retrofit the steering wheel? I have concerns about being able to successfully retrofit the entire cluster to my car as it was one of the earliest W210's made and I don't think it has an interior canbus (I have a 1997 E420). Steve from MBENZNL said that he seems to recall trying to do the retrofit on a 97 E420 once but it ran into problems.

Looking at the instructions at the start of this post, it looks like the wires for the horn and airbag are pretty distinct so I wonder if they will match up with the wiring that already exists for the old style steering wheel? Or do they operate completely differently in 98 and later models?

To follow up on my question about connecting ONLY the airbag and horn from an updated steering wheel to a 1997 E420, here are photos of the connections for both types. They both seem to have exactly the same color wires, in the same order, from a connector that looks like it could be the same (circled in red on each photo). From what I understand, the airbag is deployed simply by voltage through the wires. Anyone have any thoughts about using this wiring to retrofit a steering wheel (WITHOUT trying to get the other audio buttons, etc to work)?

Attachments

• w210-clockspring-wiring.jpg
    w210-clockspring-wiring.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 174
I had a facelift cluster with old wheel in the car and it worked. i also put the old cluster and new wheel in the car also and it worked.

obviously without the matching pair you either cant control the cluster (no steering wheel buttons) or you have the buttons but no cluster to control.

but it should still work. The cluster is "plug and play" without any wiring changed iirc if you are keeping the standard wheel.

the other way round you need to change the airbag ring so the horn works, apart from that you dont HAVE to connect up the wiring for canbus from the steering wheel buttons.

it was 2005 when i did this so the is all IIRC.... i may be wrong!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom