• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

In the market for a 6.2 e63 estate..... Not many out there?

Was you not aware your not allowed to like or want to experience or share your views on the mighty M156 on this forum. It's regarded as the poor man's AMG.

But if you want to experience the M157 then your regarded as one of the crowd. And many members will like your posts.

But I'll give you some advice don't talk up the 156 to much as it gets up some 157 members noses.

:thumb:

Give it a rest Tom.
You are starting to make a fool of yourself now.

Dont think there is anything as a poor mans amg is there? Obviously its all relative but an amg is always going to be a more expensive option then the lower models no matter the age. 20mpg gets you the same distance no matter if your in a showroom fresh car or a more mature steed! Owning a older car outright or have something newer on lease or pcp I would suggest involves similar initial levels of capital outlay. It is only the levels depreciation therefore residuals that are different. Does that make it wrong one way or the other. Everyone’s requirements therefore decisions and personal financial circumstances are different. Just be happy you are driving the pinnacle Mercedes product which is faster than >95% of other road users!

Just be happy you are driving the pinnacle Mercedes product which is faster than >95% of other road users!
Your post reminds me of when I bought my first AMG around 15 years ago, it was a few weeks before Christmas. Not long after I bought it, I picked my Dad up to go Christmas shopping.

Back then very very few people really knew what an AMG was - especially those who weren’t interested in cars, like my Dad - so I tried to explain that it was much faster than it looked and that we that we might not see a faster car that day.

Within no time we saw a Lamborghini, the first of several that day! Lamborghinis were much more fragile back then, and there were far fewer of them, and so seeing several Lamborghinis during one journey in December was even more unusual than it would be today!

That’s a good point about being faster than they look and comparable to supercars. I think perspective has become somewhat lost and there has become an air of complacency now with the power on offer no matter what flavour of amg power plant is under the bonnet. We’re talking about cars north of 500bhp! That has become available in less than the 20 years since the millennium which back then would be the preserve of supercars and then some.

Here are some well regarded cars from the year 2000 and their power levels.

BMW E39 M5: 400bhp
Ferrari 360 Modena: 395bhp
Porsche 996 Turbo: 420bhp
Corvette c5: 385bhp
Jag xkr:370bhp

It just goes to show the game changing nature the original m113k engine was when launched, watch the top gear review by clarkson of his sl55 to put it in context.

And to further illustrate the point the contemporary yr 2000 mondeo 2litre petrol was packing a mighty 128bhp! Even the 2.5 v6 was ‘only’ 168bhp but that was considered more than a decent amount of power back then.

Now 600+ from factory for the modern amgs is on offer. I do wonder if we have reached the top of the mountain with regard to internal combustion power levels.

We live in interesting times

The 157 brigade are in town watch out lads I'm shaking in my boots!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wait it out, it'll be worth it! If you've been waiting long enough you'll kick yourself if you compromise too much. I had a similar issue buying an S211 E55 , and although I got the key things I wanted (Dynamic seats, Comand, Sunroof, mileage, history, price) , I couldn't quite manage everything (ideally would have had an 805 build, and a rare colour - probably of which there are only like 5 in the country at all which met all my asks, let alone for sale!). 6 months down the line still haven't seen anything for sale that would have been better yet though!

I agree, if that car had something else going for it - either very low mileage or was particularly well priced etc I would consider compromising on the seats, but I always find good things come to those who wait :)

If you’re struggling to find the right car, have you considered the other family friendly 6.2 engines car? The ML63 makes a truly fantastic family car.

If acceleration is your thing then from rest it will show a clean pair of heels to the C63, E63 and any other RWD AMG, and they don’t catch up until very high speeds.

Worth considering, they’re great!

As Rob says ^^ a W164 AMG is a great alternative and they *tend* to be higher spec than the W212 so might be worth expanding your search to include them?

Regarding active seats. They are a great feature but are they used all the time I don't use mine half the time. I wouldn't be put off particular car for not having the active seats but as you say it is a nice gizmo all the same.

Ditto for the E55K; but we already knew that...

From rest, it really will pull away from the C63 and E63. Both will claw back the advantage with speed but it takes a while.

I have never heard of this term before. From rest?

I have never heard of this term before. From rest?
From rest means from standstill, a standing start.

That said the ML63 would still have an advantage at low speeds, when wheelspin would be an issue for a RWD car - in this weather that could be up to 60 mph or more!

From rest means from standstill, a standing start.

That said the ML63 would still have an advantage at low speeds, when wheelspin would be an issue for a RWD car - in this weather that could be up to 60 mph or more!

Forgetting this type of weather. On a standard dry condition day. The 0to60 times of the C and E are quicker to that of the ML.

I hope I'm not coming across as ignorant, but I'm only going by factual figures.

I have never driven a ML let alone the 6.3 version.

I have driven the 4.8is X5 and that had the split drive train. I did get off the mark sharpish in wet/damp conditions so I have an understanding of the 4x4 drive system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom