Ken Livingstone’s secret plan to extend congestion charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently a whole years worth of CO2 emissions from ALL of group G cars in the CC zone in London is less than just ONE HOURS CO2 emissions from aircraft taking off and landing at Heathrow airport.

Surely it would make much more environmental sense for Ken to get Heathrow airport moved away from London and leave all the cars alone?

Or is that not his primary objective?

Did he fail his driving test or something

Did Maggie refuse his parking permit in the 80's

Maggie was the girl that broke his 'heart' when she refused to get the bus home with him so he vowed to get even with the all the blokes who drove cars especially the kid whose Dad drove a Hillman Imp upon whose back seat Maggie decided that she no longer wanted to get the bus...at all.

Apparently a whole years worth of CO2 emissions from ALL of group G cars in the CC zone in London is less than just ONE HOURS CO2 emissions from aircraft taking off and landing at Heathrow airport.

Really? Now that *IS* an interesting snippet. Can I ask what your source is?

or maybe a slight misquote of Porche's current argument - of course they will be consulting "neutral" experts won't they?

Surely it would make much more environmental sense for Ken to get Heathrow airport moved away from London and leave all the cars alone?

Or is that not his primary objective?

errrrm last time I looked Heathrow wasn't in central London so why is this a relevent (and often quoted by you) point?

Please feel free to correct me if my geography is wrong

Andy

errrrm last time I looked Heathrow wasn't in central London so why is this a relevent (and often quoted by you) point?

Andy

Heathrow is named "LONDON airport" for a reason. Other than the tiny one runway City airport its the nearest proper airport to London. Its all well within the M25. I never said it was in central London.

Information reference............
http://www.carpages.co.uk/porsche/porsche-21-02-08.asp

Apologies if I have assumed too much but I suspect andy_k might be on the wrong forum. You sound as though you would be happier here......
http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/knowledge/posts.php?thread=1646

Last edited:

Andy

Central London is right smack on the take off /landing path for Heathrow most days.

Thats fairly relevant in my book.

Heathrow is named "LONDON airport" for a reason. Other than the tiny one runway City airport its the nearest proper airport to London. Its all well within the M25. I never said it was in central London.

Information reference............
http://www.carpages.co.uk/porsche/porsche-21-02-08.asp

Apologies if I have assumed too much but I suspect andy_k might be on the wrong forum. You sound as though you would be happier here......
http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/knowledge/posts.php?thread=1646

Without wishing to get involved with the pros and cons of the debate those stats are rather disingenuous.

When you look at the source of the stats you see that, because it's very hard to do otherwise, the CO2 production figures for Heathrow are based on whole flight useage. In other words LHR figures include the whole flight emissions for , say, London-New York. So it's not valid to compare those numbers with a small geographical location in the way that Porsche (and others) have. Makes for a good marketing message, but it's lazy and incorrect.

I'm sure I could spin the stats in the opposite direction in terms of a comparison of CO2/mile or CO2 per pax - with exactly the same data.

When you look at the source of the stats you see that, because it's very hard to do otherwise, the CO2 production figures for Heathrow are based on whole flight useage. In other words LHR figures include the whole flight emissions for , say, London-New York..................

Where does it say that? I have reread the extract several times and the figures seem to only relate to the emissions generated AT Heathrow.
Perhaps I have missed this point.
Its rather an important misnomer and if you are correct, rather blows a hole in that particular arguement.

Ken is still a **** whichever way you look at it. I'd rather vote for Ronald McDonald.

So petrol prices are going through the roof, as is car tax; they want to bring the congestion charge to my doorstep :devil:. I think I'll just sell the car and drive an old foreign plated merc with no tax or insurance :rolleyes:.

Heathrow lies in the London Borough of Hillingdon and the London Borough of Hounslow.

Where does it say that? I have reread the extract several times and the figures seem to only relate to the emissions generated AT Heathrow.
Perhaps I have missed this point.
Its rather an important misnomer and if you are correct, rather blows a hole in that particular arguement.

The extracted table comes from a very long DfT (or may be DEFRA) report regarding pollution caused by transportation. I unfortunately had to read and digest for work...

That's always the danger with extracts and arguments drawn from them - the table showing the levels of pollution and expected growth covered about half a page while the description of the method and defining what "at LHR" meant took about 10.

That's always the danger with extracts and arguments drawn from them

That is very true Mr E, the problem is that we see this more and more coming from Politicians.

The question is how does one contend with such arguments when you know that they are based on 'flawed' assumptions and yet those in power who postulate the position are adamant that they are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom