London Congestion Charge and ULEZ to Recommence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get yourself an electric bicycle. If you modify the software they can go up to 45mph so you will flying past all the cars & buses.

Just Googled it... apparently it's the Mayor's idea, aimed at allowing cyclists to cycle to work while keeping social distancing:

20200531-005043.jpg

Yeah, because it’s practical for all those that usually commute by train to ride to work! The mayor is a ****.

Reactions: AMV
To be fair, though, there’d never be enough space for everyone to drive to work in London, so encouraging cycling makes sense. What other way could be used to get masses of people around the city without close contact...? If a proportion of people take up cycling then the trains will be able to run with social distancing in place (I think I read that it works at up to 30% capacity), so those who can’t cycle can still use them.

Last edited:
An honest question as I've no experience.
Has consideration been given to where all the cycles would be during the day if the take up is as significant as hoped ?

An honest question as I've no experience.
Has consideration been given to where all the cycles would be during the day if the take up is as significant as hoped ?
Our local Council has installed lockable bike sheds in some of the streets around us. Plus there are purposely-built rails that you can secure your bike to in various parts of London.

Reactions: m80
I wonder if the mayor has also built new spaces for the protestors.

He could have made a nice campsite space for the Extinction Rebellion protestors while he was at it. Also somewhere where they can park their boat. Maybe a decidated space for that.

Or maybe they have got everything they want now so no need to protest anymore, although they did do this on the 7th of May.

Last edited:
Also somewhere where they can park their boat. Maybe a decidated space for that.

Dedicated riverside berths for canoes and small rowing dinghies now there's an idea.
Trouble is the increased river traffic would upset those profit making users that contribute significantly to the City revenues.

Last edited:
Like the majority of Londoners his commute involves the usual struggle with buses, tubes & overground trains.

He favours the ultra low emissions Range Rover petrol V8. Glad he is doing his bit for clean air in London.

Wonder if has a bollocks to brexit sticker in the back window?

The congestion charge will be back - but for more hours per day, and also at weekends:

Quote:

The London Congestion Charge and Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) will be reintroduced from Monday 18 May as Transport for London phases out emergency coronavirus measures.

Both charges were dropped on March 23 to help key workers get to work while avoiding public transport.

Car parking restrictions were relaxed during this period, too.

The Evening Standard reports the reintroduction of the charges comes two weeks earlier than planned.

The newspaper also says the Congestion Charge will be increased from £11.50 to £15 from June 22.

It will be enforced seven days a week, rather than only on weekdays, and operating hours in the evening will be extended from 6pm to 10pm.

The morning enforcement start-time of 7am will remain.

The changes follow the agreement of a £1.6 billion government support package for Transport for London, whose finances have been hit by a plunge in passenger numbers during the coronavirus crisis.

“Enormous challenges remain,” said London Transport Commissioner Mike Brown, “including agreeing longer term sustainable funding for transport in the capital.”
Shocking increase!

Like the majority of Londoners his commute involves the usual struggle with buses, tubes & overground trains.

This means someone decided that Sadiq Khan is a potential target for terrorists. If so, then the armoured Range Rover and the security detail weren't his choice to make.

Love to have seen all these cycle lanes and initiatives introduced on a frosty December morning!

I don't fault the price increase to fund the TFL. But expanding the hours to periods of low congestion seems bonkers to me. If he's worried about pollution, increase the ULEZ charge. If he's worried about congestion, stick to periods of congestion...and not the bloomin weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom