• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

M156 vs m157 amg engines c63 e63 amg

The tuning girls are all doing cartwheels in there little frilly frocks, the playground is very bitchy today! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The lag is very minimal trust if you drive the M177 back to back you will see the difference. Again this is me being very very picky.
Also when you drive them back to back you can tell the M157 engine does pull harder too.
Iv driven both in Sport+ TC in sport and TC off
Yes I definitely can feel a difference in the amount the m157 pulls vs the m177 (but on a lesser c63s). It would be good though to experience a w213 e63s properly . When MB Brooklands has a sale on the E63s driving experience, I might go for that next time. With torque of 850nm, and AWD, on paper at least, the w213 m177 should feel much faster than my w212.

From my experience, there is an inflexion point where the big engined older cars get overshadowed by the 4.0 litre new cars with super fast shifting transmissions. While the M157 engine is a brute, in auto shift mode, that downshift before it gives me power is noticeable but on the 2018+ cars, it is instant. If I sold my w212, and wanted something mega exciting , I'd buy a 2017+ 4.0l, as like driving a car that feels like it is trying to kill me at every opportunity.

I have to say, I don't notice much lag with the M157 in S, S+, M (MCT box). Certainly not compared with other (VAG, Ford especially) cars I've had. I haven't had other AMGs to compare to, but good to hear different opinions on the comparisons with other AMGs, as I definitely want another!
Rich you should get one if you can!

Rich you should get one if you can
I hope to hold on to my S212 5.5 for a while yet, but want a 213 E63 like you. I can't have both at the mo, so will have to wait! Although SL55s have been tempting me recently and I really want to try that engine before it's too late 🤔

I hope to hold on to my S212 5.5 for a while yet, but want a 213 E63 like you. I can't have both at the mo, so will have to wait! Although SL55s have been tempting me recently and I really want to try that engine before it's too late 🤔
If you haven't experienced an M113k engined car you have missed out on a classic.
Hard to think it was built so long ago. Has similar torque to a stock M157 but the gearbox is pretty slow to react.
SL's scare me with the leaks and ABC suspension costs should they malfunction.

If you haven't experienced an M113k engined car you have missed out on a classic.
Hard to think it was built so long ago. Has similar torque to a stock M157 but the gearbox is pretty slow to react.
SL's scare me with the leaks and ABC suspension costs should they malfunction.
I have indeed. Yeah they're not THAT cheap but can still command some pretty hefty repair bills! Seen a couple of nice ones recently but they go for top money.
I know the old gearbox would annoy me, but know I'd love the engine...

Yeah me too, I've come close to buying an SL55 a couple of times but the lack of 5 seats was the only thing that got in the way each time. Its on the list alongside a v12 biturbo...

Yup. Shat on a C63, as it happens. So easy... Yawn...

156...the rest of the amg v8 are just noise ( or lack of ) haha
I like both....but I think you might need a hearing check as the 157 I've driven have been just as loud if not louder than the 156s. It not as characterful a sound I'll agree. But compared to most modern muffled turbo engines it sounds great.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Go on my son, open your lungs up, let em have it 😄

This thing is brutal.😁👇

This sounds special 👇👍

I lean towards supercharging than turbos. Prefer the instant low down torque and the sound of the whine, reminds me of a jet fighter 😁
This could start another pointless argument that's ultimately down to personal choice.......but

Turbo Vs supercharger.

Turbo every time. I find it hard to look past the parasitic nature of how they fundamentally work. That's just me though. What ever make people happy is ok by me unless you're an m156 fanatic of course 😁

This could start another pointless argument that's ultimately down to personal choice.......but

Turbo Vs supercharger.

Turbo every time. I find it hard to look past the parasitic nature of how they fundamentally work. That's just me though. What ever make people happy is ok by me unless you're an m156 fanatic of course 😁
Or how about the twin charging that Lancia used? You can have a foot in both camps then!

True, no arguments please 🤭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom