motorway speed limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I disagree, the cameras out there should be used to ticket anyone that sits closer than 3 seconds behind the driver in front.

FWIW this is done in Germany. Not with the standard speed cameras, but they do set up automatic equipment on autobahn bridges to ticket people following too close (which I understand is a specific offence).

FWIW this is done in Germany. Not with the standard speed cameras, but they do set up automatic equipment on autobahn bridges to ticket people following too close (which I understand is a specific offence).

Does not work then. I was driven around various military bases a couple of years ago and was left terrified at how fast and close everybody drove in heavy traffic and bad weather, particuarly when the police car bullied there way past to the accident a few miles in front.

Still in normal weather driving on the Autobahn is a pleasure and the German drivers far more alert and polite than in the UK.

I was on the M25 last night, and had forgotten at just how bad some drivers can be. Seems to be the type of car as well - we were in the Espace and were undertaken and cut up far more than I was/am in the MB/BMW even though we were easily keeping up with the traffic flow.

Had a quick drive back from Peterborough though after my daughter projectile vomited all over me during tea!

Was delighted when I had to change from lane 1 to lane 4 and back again when I caught up to someone travelling in lane 3 on a virtually empty section of the M25 yesterday.

You'd have thought that after I overtook him/her, they'd have followed my lead of changing to lane 1, but no.... still doing 70mph in lane 3.

I'm with BanditDave. My aim is to get there safely and ideally, have a relatively relaxed journey. A few minutes this way or that, and that is the most you can save, even on a long journey, doesn't matter. The only practical way to continue using the motorway system is to have some degree of control to both optimise use and optimise safety. Anything that can be done to prevent accidents, apart form its ethical value also has a practical value in that we reduce delays, frustration and improve efficient usage.
Last week, I was in a hired van in Germany. My pal had a Tomtom which bleeped whenever I went over the speed limit, which I did inadvertently twice in 500 kms. The effect was to remind me and subsequently I stayed below the limit.

A few minutes this way or that, and that is the most you can save, even on a long journey

On a 500 mile trip doing 80 instead of 70 saves nearly an hour. I tend to use 120 kph (approx. 75 mph) on the continent though.

On a 500 mile trip doing 80 instead of 70 saves nearly an hour. I tend to use 120 kph (approx. 75 mph) on the continent though.

In Germany I go as fast as conditions allow. I have done trips in the summer taking 3 hours at 200kph+ almost continually (this is in the evening). in daytime traffic those same journeys would take in excess of 5 hours. Its a hell of a time saving as well as exhilirating and certainly makes you concentrate :D

If you find yourself being undertaken it's because you are in the wrong lane & are blocking faster traffic.

Keep as far left as possible unless overtaking & then move back as far left as possible.

Simple really.

In Germany I go as fast as conditions allow. I have done trips in the summer taking 3 hours at 200kph+ almost continually (this is in the evening). in daytime traffic those same journeys would take in excess of 5 hours. Its a hell of a time saving as well as exhilirating and certainly makes you concentrate :D

We tend to drive out (and back) overnight, so the roads are pretty clear. But going much faster would mean an extra fuel stop ... which would cancel out any time saved.

On shorter day trips we've done 190 kph on clear and unrestricted autobahn ... which is a bit surreal in a diesel van :D

Where - and when - did you last do 500 miles averaging 80 mph?

Never, as I said ... I typically set the cruise control to 120 kph. But travelling overnight on continental motorways it is possible to achieve high average speeds.

Haha, some of the comments on this thread sound like my mum.

She always says "you won't get there going any faster!"

OK, you drive there at 60mph ad I will drive at 90mph and let's see who gets there first!! :rolleyes:

OK, you drive there at 60mph ad I will drive at 90mph and let's see who gets there first!!

Pretty obvious answer when it comes to a nice clear open road.

Less obvious answer when everybody else is trying to do their own thing and a few are adding to the turbulence in the flow by being stupid.

Driving through the M1 roadworks again last night, I am no longer surprised to see drivers struggling to average 50 mph over about 5 miles never mind 500. Some of the erratic driving beggars belief.. even with Average Speed Cameras.

I think raising driver awareness is far better than punitive cameras (which I don't agree with anyway). I much prefer the smiley face you get for doing under 30 than a flash and 3 points. :)

TV campaigns have allegedly made drink driving taboo (although I'm not convinced..) and there's a gruesome campaign on at the moment advising we belt up - still can't believe that people think that not wearing a seat belt is a good idea..

Compared with the bits of Europe I've driven, I still think the biggest problem we seem to have is overcrowded roads and idiot tailgaters.

Ade

In France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany lane discipline is far far better and because of that even in busy periods traffic flows far better.

Get to Italy and there is the same mentality as over here and everything grinds to a halt again.

Where - and when - did you last do 500 miles averaging 80 mph?

Me and my friend left my house in Peterborough, took 2 hours to get to Dover.

Then from Calais, it took 9 hours to get to Modena, that included 3 fuel stops and a couple of Ice Creams.

France during the day was fine.
Switzerland during the day was slow.
Italy in the evening was very high speeds.

Total distance = 1485km
Average speed = 135kph

IMO, if you are accelerating a lot, then you are wasting fuel instead of making time. Choosing when to go fast and when to hang back.

Dave!

In France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany lane discipline is far far better and because of that even in busy periods traffic flows far better.

Get to Italy and there is the same mentality as over here and everything grinds to a halt again.

With my experience on the Italian motorway a large group of cars were all sat doing 190/ 200kph in the outside lane, cars were moving out of the way when you came up behind them with your indicator on.

This was 2.5 year ago now though and only from Switzerland to Modena.

The only weird part was on long stretches there was no central reservation, so a 400kmh closing speed was very strange.

Dave!

In France

France is a bit of a split personality depending on where you are. I wouldn't hold it up as a good example of anything to do with motoring given the death rates.

By comparison with Europe the southern parts of the UK are very densely populated.

I guess you're right, I tend to travel down to St. Tropez, Fréjus, St. Rapheal quite a lot and coming in that side there is also a fair amount of people coming down from Belgium and the Netherlands so I guess that helps.

I can usually do St. Tropez to Norwich in 12 hours. Average 85mph in France and then around 55mph in the UK.

I can do my house ( Surrey) to Regensburg in Germany (about 700m) in about 10hrs including the tunnel (assuming only a short wait for the tunnel) on a Sunday. Only a very few trucks in Germany on Sunday, makes a big differece.

Easy to cruise at 100 plus for longstretches.

I much prefer the smiley face you get for doing under 30 than a flash and 3 points. :)
Ade

I think they need a bigger range of expressions though - you get the same unhappy face for doing 31 that you get for doing 50, i think 30 - 35 should warrant a neutral with perhaps a raised eyebrow etc ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom