Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Audi A8

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Bentley

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • other

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I have just watched the review of the new S-class on Top Gear, what a car. I'm not sure about the rear wheel arches, but that's me.

I predicted the CLS would not be as popular as the media wanted us to believe, so I am going to predict that this new S-class will carry on the tradition of being one of the top selling executive saloons.

What are the opinions of other members.

If you think it will not be the most popular, or you prefer the 7 series, or Audi equivalent then please speak up. Must be four door saloon though.

John

Last edited:
The S class is truly a good car. However, I am not sure how it will fair up with depreciation values, as in the past the bigger cars have taken quite a battering on the used car market.

Sadly I missed it. I'm not a fan of large cars myself (the CLK is quite big enough thank you) although my 21 yr old son raves about the S class - oh young dreams eh?
However for me I'd fall back on being a badge snob, although I'd never consider a Bently no matter HOW rich I got :eek: (mind Aston Martin a different matter, but you ruled out 2 doors!)
So, based on that it would be Mercedes, BMW, Audi in that order :devil: and that is based entirely on my perceptions of the German Heirarchy, so don't mean to offend anybody!

Last edited:
I want one :D.

My tuppence worth

I'd give the Bentley the nod in this one - The S looks great on the road though, the first one I saw in the UK was (ironically) on a German plate, had to double check it wasn't a CLS. The Audi looks the least imposing, probably because it is similar to other models - I'd be looking to see what Audi do next. The BMW is still too un-coordinated for my liking, even with the recent revisions.

Talking about the TG review, I presume the price was without toys?

John, no Lexus in the poll shame on you! :D

Mike

The old Bentleys are cool, not so sure the new one's are quite so 'ice cold' to be honest, however accomplished they are.

Hopefully the general public will wake up the funkiness of the CLS, it deserves to do well in my opinion.

I'm sure many orders will be placed for S Classes without the car ever being driven, such is its reputation for being the best car in the world at doing what it does.

I voted S Class.

Like everthing apart from the wheel arches and the BMW type boot lid, its width rules it out of my order book.

gary

having been in everything in that sector , was in a new S500 limo a few weeks back and its the most comfortable so far :)

I think the new S will probably carry on from where the previous model left off and still be the most popular big executive limmo.

However, I voted Bentley, I just love Bentleys (always have), and even if they are now under the VW umbrella I still adore the marque.

S.

Its a beauitiful car and looks very mean! Saw one in dark metalic grey paintwork yesterday. However, upgraded alloys are needed to finish it off as standard alloys dont do the car much justice.

Somehow just does not look as impressive as prevous S models. Love fact that the car bristles with 'first' technology.

Like JC said, in a few years time the various wizardry will be standard spec in Mondeos. That is what an S is all about, if you ask me.

Flash said:
Its a beauitiful car and looks very mean!
Not intimidating enough, the W140 is still the most menacing IMHO :)

Hmm u've put Bentley in the mix which sways me, but I'm gonig to say 221 to be loyal. Love the 140 though. Don't feel the 221 carries on from the 220 though. Too radical. Taking time to settle.

Shude said:
Not intimidating enough, the W140 is still the most menacing IMHO :)

AMG bodykit takes care of that... :) ;)

I like the W140 but that is now starting to show its age and is not as pretty W221.

New Merc S Class - Top Gear review

My vote goes to the S Class. As JC has said before about the old S Class its an institution. The BM is just to brash and the Audi looks too much like all other Audis.

For those who missed it,the Top Gear road test can be seen HERE
Be warned though, this is a streaming video of the whole show, the S class review doesn't start until 13 Min's 15 seconds in.

Phateon! Half the price with all the comfort!

Actually, I voted for the Audi - I've driven one, and I just love it. Having said that, the Merc *did* look good on TG.

-simon

My vote goes to the S class aswell. Will be interesting to see the hybrid version in 2008 to see what take mercedes does on that technology.

Has to be the S-Class.

And think - in just ten short years time, you'll be able to pick one up for under £5k! (far less than a good C124 :D )

BTW, I'm rarely in Edinburgh city centre, but yesterday I saw THREE different black VW Phaetons - two (certainly) were V6 TDis. They have to be contenders.

Had to vote Bentley since the LS430 was missing from the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom