OM642 PCV Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for taking the risk on this. I've been watching this thread for ages waiting for confirmation that new part will fit OK. How much contortion is needed to get the batwing past the aluminium turbo-to-intercooler pipe as you slide it off the turbo inlet? When I've looked at mine there seems be be almost no room between the batwing and the bit that sticks out of the pipe (presumably a resonator).

I didn't need to remove the turbo-to-intercooler pipe. I just gently pulled the batwing up from the base, and it eased off the turbo inlet, and it slipped past the aluminium pipe okay.
Getting the batwing back on was another matter, not because of that pipe, but having cleaned everything up the rubber orange turbo inlet seal was very grippy against the turbo inlet. I ended up using a little spray and wipe round of silicon lubricant on the outside of the turbo aluminium inlet, and then I was able to push the batwing and orange seal into position okay.
A smear of silicon grease would have been even better, but I couldn't put my hands on it earlier.

The pipe is still £117 on click and collect on eBay, which I think is pretty much what I paid. I'd want to do click and collect to avoid Brexit fees.

It would be interesting to see if Mercedes Grangemouth could source this and how much they would charge for it? I don't know if they would refuse 'because it doesn't fit our cars'.
I did try to get them to query this with MB UK/head office/mothership back in Germany, but lockdown got in the way I'm guessing and it became too hard a question.

The one on eBay has gone; I bought it for my 2013 CLS 350, in hopes of curing a little puff of blue smoke from the exhaust when the car is started after standing overnight.

I've ordered the upgraded one for £85 + VAT from Sandown Mercedes-Benz Poole

You need to go by the vin for the PCV.
The PCV is totally different in my W251 Nd not the upgraded one. So it does depend!

I've been watching this thread for some time.
I've re-read it at least twice.
It covers a range of engines and a range of issues.
My car is the 211220 Estate with the OM642920 engine.
[140 kW; 190 HP]
The PCV casing is pretty oily.
The car has 183600 miles and it's clearly never been changed.
The number on the pipe is A642 016 08 81.

As I understand it, the PCV + pipe + orange seal are now supplied as an assembly with Pt. # A 642 010 18 91.
Can someone confirm that this is the correct part for my car.
Can the assembly be changed without removing the batwing ?
At a glance - It looks like YES .... But could easily be NO.
Thanks.
J.

[140 kW; 190 HP]

As I understand it, the PCV + pipe + orange seal are now supplied as an assembly with Pt. # A 642 010 18 91.
At a glance - It looks like YES .... But could easily be NO.
Thanks.
J.
MB online seller , so they will confirm with your vin

Thanks W1ghty.
I've used MB of Newcastle web-site quite a lot.
Always found them spot-on for helpfulness and prompt service.
I bought the metal cap from them some time ago.
Now I've come to fit it, I can see that the PCV is leaking oil mist.

Okay, so I've just fitted the 'upgraded' PCV for my E350 CDI. I fitted part A6420102491. This is for the 265bhp engine, not the 231bhp engine that has a plastic body for the PCV valve.
A6420102491 is the upgraded PCV/breather hose, with the new integrated orange seal with 'tabs' permanently clipped on to the PCV hose end. This is only updated in EPC for the ML, S-class and possible R class.
The 'upgrade' ONLY relates to the orange seal on the end where it connects to the batwing I believe, and eliminates the risk of the previous 'push on' seal getting sucked into the turbo.

The part fitted like a glove, and looks identical in every way to the part that was removed, except for the end seal.
I truly believe Merc have messed up here and neglected to flow this 'upgraded' PCV to the E-class, whilst they have flowed it out to the other Class of Mercs that use the exact same PCV and part numbers.

Side-by-side of the removed PCV and the new 'ML350 CDI' PCV
View attachment 109514

New PCV partially fitted down the back of the engine. I thought there was plenty of room to make this swap, but I did unbolt the bracket you can see to the left to allow me to get a hand and tools in more easily.
View attachment 109515

I cleaned up all the batwing and took the opportunity to replace the orange turbo inlet seal and the two orange eliptical air filter seals (the existing ones were either filthy, or brown!). I also inspected the air filters, which look pretty clean, so it will be another 12 months before I look at those again, but I did vac off from underneath (very important that way round) the big bits of debris that had got through (leaves, dandilion flowers etc).
View attachment 109516

All reassembled and cleaned up a little bit, including removing and cleaning the rubber oil filler catch collar, which had every sort of filth and detritus collecting around it. I thought better to do this now, that risk a load of it falling in come oil fill time.
View attachment 109517

Engine cover back on and cleaned up.
I need to do an engine bay detail at some point. It's on the never ending list!
View attachment 109518

I think I'll do the PCV upgrade - with the same one you have used MrG. I just checked mine - and it looks like its blowing some crap out
Also on another note whilst having a check is this turbo seal ok? It was changed when an injector seal was replaced a couple of months ago - doesn't seem to fit correctly?

Thanks

IMG_0025.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

[140 kW; 190 HP]

At a glance - It looks like YES.
Thanks.
J.
OK - So - Thanks for guidance on this.
I checked the part with MB Newcastle (Pt. # A 642 010 18 91) and got the part this week.
I fitted it and also changed the engine metal breather cap (Pt. # A 642 010 01 321).
The area round the orange seal was a bit oily.
The parts fitted OK without removal of the batwing.
The hardest part was the removal of the old metal breather cap.
Refitting it was easy - A generous coating of silicon grease on both the 'O' ring and the sealing diaphragm - and a heave towards me using both hands - and it popped straight in.
That should hopefully never need touching again !
Thanks, as always, for help and guidance.

I had a good look round the turbo boost pipes and I've come across another issue.
I'll open up another thread on this and ask for advice.
J.

I've replaced the PCV valve with the "upgraded" one and fitted the correct turbo seal as the one fitted during the service didn't seem correct:
IMG_0122.jpgIMG_0123.jpgIMG_0125.jpg

I also cleaned the seals for air filters after checking they were ok, which they were.
Upon test driving, the car was a bit rough on idling but was fine once the revs were up. At around 60mph there was a slight judder / misfire which happened a few times but the car was fine after.
The following day it went on a 80mile round trip and all was fine. Today the orange EML came on and has stayed on.
I scanned with Icarsoft and got the following codes - Engine ECM - 15F600 B28/8 DPF differential sensor outside permissible range; ICM Shift module A80 - B226600 Drive Authorisation data implausible

I have cleared the codes for now so will see if they re-occur over the weekend.
I did check all 3 connectors which were disconnected during the PCV & turbo seal change.

The PCV valve was slightly different from the one it replaced - the diaphragm on the new one is a bit smaller - would this cause the above issues?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

I've replaced the PCV valve with the "upgraded" one and fitted the correct turbo seal as the one fitted during the service didn't seem correct:
View attachment 126161View attachment 126162View attachment 126163

I also cleaned the seals for air filters after checking they were ok, which they were.
Upon test driving, the car was a bit rough on idling but was fine once the revs were up. At around 60mph there was a slight judder / misfire which happened a few times but the car was fine after.
The following day it went on a 80mile round trip and all was fine. Today the orange EML came on and has stayed on.
I scanned with Icarsoft and got the following codes - Engine ECM - 15F600 B28/8 DPF differential sensor outside permissible range; ICM Shift module A80 - B226600 Drive Authorisation data implausible

I have cleared the codes for now so will see if they re-occur over the weekend.
I did check all 3 connectors which were disconnected during the PCV & turbo seal change.

The PCV valve was slightly different from the one it replaced - the diaphragm on the new one is a bit smaller - would this cause the above issues?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
In the top picture of the orange turbo seal , is that a hole in the black plastic batwing by the jubilee clip ?

Well that's just gonna vent oily gasses from the crank over time . No point having the orange seal .
I did wonder how so much oily crap managed to find its way underneath - is that not normal then?
Actually looking at pictures of the x pipe this is normal..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom