Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Instead of discussing the whys and where fors of price rises and tax rises in fuel why not try doing some thing about it am a member of fairfuel its free to join and are looking for lots more members you have nothing to lose and plenty to gain in getting fairer fuel prices in uk apply on line www.fairfueluk.com .
go on you owe it to your self . cf

Hi Dieselman
Fairfuel has already achieved to get the government to scrap the 9 p per litre tax increase this was going to be this january thats now scrapped theyre intention is to get the fuel price down to a more reasonable price , the more supporters they can get the better so come join us , costs not a thing and me being a scot am all for it .
regards cf

Ministers to blame for high fuel prices, says competition watchdog

Those would be the Ministers who were yesterday trumpeting that consumers were being “ripped off at the petrol pump”.

Well that is true: but sadly for them the OFT has found that the main cause of the problem is extortionate levels of taxation.

Yes, oil companies could be a bit quicker in flowing through price reductions, but that is not the real problem: it is the tax acting as a multiplier and increased cost of crude oil that really hurts

Ministers to blame for high fuel prices, says competition watchdog - Telegraph

'We recognise that there has been widespread mistrust in how this market is operating. However, our analysis suggests that competition is working well, and rises in pump prices over the past decade or so have largely been down to increases in tax and the cost of crude oil.

'Our call for information has not identified any evidence of anti-competitive behaviour in the fuel market at a national level, where competition appears to be strong. There may be some issues at a local level.

OFT report points to competition working well in UK road fuel sector* - The Office of Fair Trading

Risking stating the obvious I suppose: the thing that strikes me about transport in this country is that the public transport is mostly woeful, private motoring is the only way of getting around (which supports the economy), and yet despite the significant problems we have with road congestion, nothing really meaningful is done to encourage people to make fewer and shorter journeys. Here, I'm considering the advantages in terms of quality of life as well as reduced cost to the individual or corporation. Planning restrictions prevent the natural development of additional housing close to centres of employment, increasing uncertainty over job security means people are less inclined to move to be near their work, house prices cause many to commute long distances from good homes in areas they find affordable to their jobs, and HMG makes huge sums of money out of all of this misery. Stamp duty is another factor, inclining people not to live closer to their jobs, when they move from one employer to another.

If something could be done to get even a small proportion of those who make the longest commutes to live closer to their work, great good would be done to them and us. Of course, this would reduce tax take, so... I'm just considering the very widest picture, rather than simply fuel prices, so apologies of anyone thinks the thread has drifted.

OFT:- Motorists are not being ripped off at the pumps

The Office of Fair Trading says the market is working well. (BBC News)

So there you go, we're all imagining it.

A study of the UK petrol and diesel market by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has said little action is needed.

"The evidence gathered by the OFT suggests that at a national level, competition is working well in the UK road fuel sector," its report said.

It found the UK has some of Europe's cheapest fuel prices before tax.

It said there was very little evidence that petrol and diesel prices rise quickly when oil prices go up, but are slow to fall when prices drop.

"We recognise that there has been widespread mistrust in how this market is operating," said OFT chief executive Clive Maxwell.

if it looks like a fish, and smells like a fish, it's obvious it's white emulsion painted before our eyes ;)

Well i live out in the sticks 20 or so miles North of a place called Carlisle , our local petrol station has just bunged up theyre prices a litre of diesel is now £1.45.9 Per litre Petrol is £1.38.9 per litre , was in Carlisle yesterday at Asda i noticed Diesel was £1.28.7 per litre Petrol £1.24.7 per litre what annoys me is the big price differences between one area to some other area not far away , needless to say i fill up at Carlisle .
When i first started driving Petrol was 3shillings and sixpence per GALLON and now look at it £6.30 odds per gallon of petrol , no wonder everything in the shops super markets etc is so expensive .
We are one of the most expensive countries for petrol/diesel in the eu , fairfueluk wants to see our prices more like France & Spain and guess what these countries dont have offshore drilling riggs etc unlike our selves .
Cf

We are one of the most expensive countries for petrol/diesel in the eu , fairfueluk wants to see our prices more like France & Spain and guess what these countries dont have offshore drilling riggs etc unlike our selves .

When you take out the taxes and duty we are one of the cheapest countries, a situation not lost on the OFT.

Any chance of a Politician explaining why the tax levy is so high?

Well i live out in the sticks 20 or so miles North of a place called Carlisle , our local petrol station has just bunged up theyre prices a litre of diesel is now £1.45.9 Per litre Petrol is £1.38.9 per litre , was in Carlisle yesterday at Asda i noticed Diesel was £1.28.7 per litre Petrol £1.24.7 per litre what annoys me is the big price differences between one area to some other area not far away

Agreed...your fuel is much cheaper than here, £1.40 for diesel at major supermarkets. Perhaps you should try some of the expensive stuff.

Last edited:
I am not sure that there is a 'right' price for fuel.

The pump price today is nearly three times what it was 15 years ago.

Yet our roads and cities are ever more congested with heavy traffic.

So clearly the price is not too high yet?

I am not sure that there is a 'right' price for fuel.

The pump price today is nearly three times what it was 15 years ago.

Yet our roads and cities are ever more congested with heavy traffic.

So clearly the price is not too high yet?

Traffic volumes and miles have fallen in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread