Pitting and peeling lacquer on my red one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it not the head office that determines the outcome of the claim or not? Hence why mine sat at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting for this decision.

It's now 10 weeks since I handed mine back , I'm hoping it is finished any minute now.

Yeah, but I'm sure the way the claim is put forward, the pictures that are taken, etc could either represent the problem at it's worse, or best, whether the employee felt disgruntled or not.

What else could it have been, if it's head office? This guy's red one is slightly newer than mine...

The black bit at the bottom? Is that an extra part fitted?
Yep, the lower spa on the bumper in black :thumb:
No, not fitted, sprayed. Just like the AMG style front bumpers. I'll also be getting the front chrome DRL covers wrapped in gloss black. I had conversations about getting them sprayed too, but they weren't keen to do it, as they were unsure if they could get good adhesion to the plastic chrome finish. :rolleyes:

Looks the part pondman, if mine comes out like that I will be over the moon.

Another 2 weeks for mine.

oldguy57 said:
^^^Did they advise you on what basis the claim was rejected? Seems strange that they are choosing to repaint some cars and not others where the deterioration in the paintwork is the same. It strikes me that the success or otherwise of a claim depends on where you take the car initially for inspection. Against you of course is the age of the car, but its a well documented problem!

Just said that they rejected it as it's outside warranty and that it doesn't qualify under goodwill either... Took mine in the end to merc Watford..

Pondman said:
I think you are right oldguy :( With that in mind, maybe we ought to have a possible "sticky" letting people know who and which garages are "sympathetic" to the process of respraying our MB's when the measles strike. So people know who to go to in their area to ensure a proper level of customer support and service. It would also be worth keeping a record of the which models have been accepted for a respray and their age at the time of respray. What do others think of the idea?

Yeah I reckon that's a good idea if anyone has this problem in the future..

i-CONICA said:
That's crap. I think it really does depend on which dealership you go to. But also maybe an element of your approach. If you really did say "count on your fingers from 2008 to 2016" it might have came across a bit condescending, and alienated that guy from you. Try another dealership, as mine was accepted no questions asked. Have you got pictures of the problem? Although I'm sure I read somewhere that once a warranty request has been declined, that's final across all dealerships, to stop people just walking dealerships until they get the result they're happy with. Fingers crossed for you though, as I'd be gutted.

Yeah it's sucks.. I guess yeah dealership does make a difference to ones experience...

Haha funny you should say that I took it to an alternate dealership.. Merc Watford and they are the ones that did the investigation and report to head office so that takes that variable out..guess the ones down south just aren't as good as the ones you guys got up north

Where would you guys recommend going for a full respray. Every panel is affected and the only dealership I'm aware of that has a full-sized inhouse bodyshop is Leicester and they're very busy, other dealership have an 'approved' bodyshop and I'm not sure what their quality of work would be like and I don't want rattles etc afterwards.

Thanks!

Hi,

As has been discussed before, red ones often have lacquer issues. Most report pitting and micro bubbles in the lacquer, but mine has this and also peeling lacquer where it's coming away from the paint, all over the car. I can't even sponge and water bucket wash the car anymore without water getting under the broken lacquer and spreading it.

I've spoken to Mercedes Manchester dealership who said to come in and they'll get an 'estimator' to look at it.

It's a 08 plate, but the problem has existed since I got it, and has worsened since then. It needs a full respray, lacquer only if that can be done.

It's made the car pretty much valueless, as nobody would buy it in it's current state. It should be worth around £8,000, but not in this state.

I'm wondering what I should expect from them before I go in, as I've never been in a situation like this before.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,
I'm new on here, but I was researching the peeling lacquer problem. I reported the 'bubbling' on my car at the end of 2016 to the MB dealer where I bought the car. They went through the process and the car was resprayed in October/November 2016, without too much of an argument, but no admissions, details or paperwork. This weekend, I noticed peeling lacquer, like your photos, so I took it into the local MB dealer, where I have relocated, who confirmed it to be an 'application issue' and I would need to contact the original dealer. I have done that and am due to get the car to them this weekend for examination. Do you know of anyone else having had 'peeling' after respraying to repair the 'bubbling issue?

My original issue was mainly peeling. There might have been slight bubbling, but it was mainly the peeling caused by bubbles bursting and water getting under.

2.5 years later, very recently mine started peeling again, I think a stone chip was hit with a pressure washer and started it all over again.

There definitely seems to be a bonding issue with getting lacquer to stick to red paint! I've not done anything about it yet, as I've got a more pressing issue with the car (a corroded and snapped rear subframe)

My original issue was mainly peeling. There might have been slight bubbling, but it was mainly the peeling caused by bubbles bursting and water getting under.

2.5 years later, very recently mine started peeling again, I think a stone chip was hit with a pressure washer and started it all over again.

There definitely seems to be a bonding issue with getting lacquer to stick to red paint! I've not done anything about it yet, as I've got a more pressing issue with the car (a corroded and snapped rear subframe)

Thanks for the reply. My 'peeling issue' is a large patch, like your photo and some minor ones elsewhere. The MB Approved Bodyshop that identified it as an 'application issue', also said it was an issue known to MB for a specific block of cars with the Opal Fire Red paintwork, so I'm hoping that will help me get it fixed, after which I might have to look to change it for another colour!

I did get close... but it's not taking the lacquer off of her black insignia, even at very close range.

I have just noticed the lacquer removing my bonnet near the windscreen. It about a 3in square patch at the minute and looks like it will get worse. Its only a 62 plate Aclass. Colour is jupiter red. Bought the car as a demo direct from mercedes in solihull.

it has a full service history with mercedes apart from the last 2. I shall be calling them shortly so i do hope i have case to argue!!

I have just noticed the lacquer removing my bonnet near the windscreen. It about a 3in square patch at the minute and looks like it will get worse. Its only a 62 plate Aclass. Colour is jupiter red. Bought the car as a demo direct from mercedes in solihull.

it has a full service history with mercedes apart from the last 2. I shall be calling them shortly so i do hope i have case to argue!!

I don't know how they'll view the last two services, but it is a 'known issue' by MB and it seems to be on 2012 cars; mine is a 12 plate. If they are reluctant to do anything, I'd be inclined to persist and have MancMike's photos to hand, as its nothing to with service and everything to do with a known 'design' fault MB have failed to address publicly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom