Plans to move UK to European time zone edge a step closer. Road Safety Affected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
None actually. Its a bit too cold and dark in the winter for my liking. Especially in the afternoons.

In Scotland, if it isn't raining you'll be eaten alive by midges. Timezones are the least of the Scots problems.

In winter it would be dark in Aberdeen just after lunch and in summer light until about 2am, no one will ever convince me that makes sense, look at the stats for Northern Scotland in Isolation and road traffic accidents are predicted to increase :doh: which is not really surprising if its dark at lunchtime :rolleyes:

That would mean the jocks stumbling home from the pub at lunchtime and the burglars would be able to rob less cos it's still daylight.

Soz. Just joking I'm off. ..........

That would mean the jocks stumbling home from the pub at lunchtime and the burglars would be able to rob less cos it's still daylight.

Soz. Just joking I'm off. ..........

on the plus side the limeys can get a bit more morris dancing in...:rock:

Timezones are the least of the Scots problems. Apart from the English trying to tell them what's good for them.

Fixed that for you. :bannana:

Forget the clocks, can we not move the calendar instead? Forget about December and January and hibernate?

Unfortunately the facts don't bear out this assertion as this diagram from

A spiky graph for flat earth is meaningless up here.

Yes it is coldest at day break - precisely when the frost arrives - but after the uniform cold of the night it is a level playing field. If one part of the road has ice, expect ice everywhere. From then on it is an improving situation. Should anything untoward happen, daylight helps enormously in remedying it

As the day progresses, parts of the road facing the sun get the benefit of the heat, the other sides of the hill, and anywhere else in shade doesn't. Come the dark a very patchy pattern of freezing occurs, and should anything untoward happen, the darkness adds to the danger.

Additionally, the two different scenarios create very different mindsets, the 'morning-day improving' one being infinitely preferable to the 'evening-dark and getting colder' one.

A spiky graph for flat earth is meaningless up here.

It wasn't really that meaningful this winter when the temps dropped.

Our temps were being driven more by where the air was coming from than the amount of local sunshine.

I think there's swings and roundabouts on the morning vs evening argument.

My preference is to extend the afternoon so that if the temps do start falling because of sunset it's deferred and gives a better chance to get home - whereas if things are bad in the morning I can defer my journey or start it late.

My preference is to extend the afternoon so that if the temps do start falling because of sunset it's deferred and gives a better chance to get home - whereas if things are bad in the morning I can defer my journey or start it late.

I think that sums it up for the corner of Scotland I'm in. Partly I think it is down to an old mindset that is part of the housing - pre-central heating, coming home to an empty house is coming home to a cold house until a fire is lit. Which in the past at least meant a certain amount of outdoor activity, chopping firewood, etc..

Also in rural parts, the work was/is primarily outdoors. The day will never run smoothly when the weather is bad - the more hours available to solve and counter the difficulties the better.
This is probably a very old mindset emanating from the ground, but Scots have a different psyche, and it is unlikely Westminster will ever understand it.

It would be madness to change the clocks. I really dont see the point with +1hr in summer. Why not just leave it on GMT all year.

The major adverse effect will be in winter with this CET scheme, for us, but for people in the south of Britain.

I strongly resent the tone of this thread that somehow up here, we matter less than those in the south, and are somehow subordinate to them. Its the UK, we are all British people.

Steve

To some in the south we are inferior.

We can only count to 5 on one hand.

Sorry guys, but I have not seen anyone say that it matters less up in Scotland, all that has been said is maybe we should move our clocks and you can leave yours the same.

Sorry guys, but I have not seen anyone say that it matters less up in Scotland, all that has been said is maybe we should move our clocks and you can leave yours the same.

Really?
That's fine. Who but the Scots cares?

What time would sunrise & sunset be in the S. of England on June 21st if this were changed?

Really, who else cares?

Why should the tail wag the dog?

If you want to run on a different time clock to suit you (as people in the S. of England do) then go right ahead. Knock yourselves out.

Because they're Scots, and miserable, and 1 of them at the nothern tip of Scotland would incur an addition £5 per annum on their electricity bill for additional morning lighting

Sorry guys, but I have not seen anyone say that it matters less up in Scotland

That's possibly because the impact is actually greater ......

In 2013, there will probably be an announcement that the exercise didn't bring the revenue expected ........

Yeah.

I am reading those quotes again, and I can't see what is wrong with them.

If he said "Who cares about the Scots." then I could understand, but he doesn't he says "who, but the Scots, cares?"

And then says we should be able to run on different times.

The miserable thing is just a joke, everyone calls the Scotts miserable, it is just the stereotype along with everyone being ginger and wearing skirts, and being tight. We don't really believe it.

My wifes grandparents were from Foyers, on Loch Ness, and he always used to say "Loch Ness is the happiest place on earth in July, the sun is out, the views are stunning and it's happy because it is full of f**king foreigners! Give me October, rain and some piece and quiet!" That always made me giggle.

The miserable thing is just a joke, everyone calls the Scotts miserable, it is just the stereotype along with everyone being ginger and wearing skirts, and being tight. We don't really believe it.

Like we don't believe the English are a bunch of ***** decrying their neighbours when they can and then apologising by saying they don't believe it ?

Sorry, don't believe it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom