Purchasing tips for 2011 5.5TT W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Omega Man

Car
BMW 535d
Am looking to purchase a late 2011 E63 5.5TT estate. Want to know what I should look out for on a 4 year old car like this and what to look for in terms of warranty. Will be buying from a dealer but not necessarily MB (although it would be preferable).

Understand the risk of buying something like this with 30-50k miles on the clock but given the price (40% of the brand new price) and how much car you are getting for the money it seems like a good purchase. The concern is that no-one buys these cars and doesn't race them a bit and as the engines are tuned this age and number of miles could mean expensive repairs are imminent. Recently sold my BMW 535d and miss the large car with power feel. For my budget the W212 5.5TT AMG in estate build seems to be the best option.

Something like the below would be what I was looking at [46k miles, £35k]:

Mercedes-Benz E Class E63 5dr Auto Bi-Turbo 5.5

Any tips/advice/assistance much appreciated.

Am looking to purchase a late 2011 E63 5.5TT estate. Want to know what I should look out for on a 4 year old car like this and what to look for in terms of warranty. Will be buying from a dealer but not necessarily MB (although it would be preferable).

Understand the risk of buying something like this with 30-50k miles on the clock but given the price (40% of the brand new price) and how much car you are getting for the money it seems like a good purchase. The concern is that no-one buys these cars and doesn't race them a bit and as the engines are tuned this age and number of miles could mean expensive repairs are imminent. Recently sold my BMW 535d and miss the large car with power feel. For my budget the W212 5.5TT AMG in estate build seems to be the best option.

Something like the below would be what I was looking at [46k miles, £35k]:

Mercedes-Benz E Class E63 5dr Auto Bi-Turbo 5.5

Any tips/advice/assistance much appreciated.

Welcome.

There's a timing chain mod on these engines at around that vintage. A couple of our guys have had it done.

The spec of that car is pretty basic, despite the "huge spec" declared in the advert.

The seats aren't massage seats, as declared.

Have a look at the link to my car (in my signature) to see what a very well specced one has (he said, modestly).

Here's a link to the timing chain info:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/172521-m157-m276-camchain-tensioner-heads-up.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Agree re: 'huge spec'; I guess it depends what your frame of reference is ;)

Interesting on the timing chain. Surprised to know there aren't more things though - generally every model/engine seems to have one major mechanical bugbear.

That's one of the cars I was looking at too. Thanks for the heads up on the timing chain

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom